Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 239

Thread: Trueisms

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Likes Ronkh, tropicsteve, 4u2nvinmtl, Jaddie liked this post

  2. #17
    Swanicyouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    C`mon Ron, you`re not seriously trying to suggest that large corporations don`t do their share of milking the system?
    Who cares? At least corporations provide jobs and bring products to market.

    What are we going to do with all these useless eaters???
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

  3. #18
    psnt1ol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don`t think the Wright Brothers invented an airplane for the sole purpose of generating revenue. I don`t think a @#$%ing MBA ever invented anything.

    Your whole argument is a huge cop-out; corporations are started by people--people who are inventors, visionaries, pioneers, entrepreneurs. Sure there was a profit motive, but it wasn`t their ONLY motive--they left that to the MBA CEO`s who run them now.
    I agree with you.. Inventors, visionaries, pioneers, and entrepreneurs started many of the big corporations and someone else (i.e... a bean counter) ends up running them later. This is sad but it is real.

    I experienced it firsthand. I used to work for a company that went from being privately held to publicly traded. The founder was well respected by all. Stories of how he personally help his employees were abound. He once flipped a hospital bill for an employee when he found out he couldn`t afford it. The founder was a hippie from the 70s and community activism was always a priority. All that changed....once the company went public. A few years back, the board of directors removed him as the CEO and installed a wall-street type. Can you imagine being fired from a company that you created/started....

    Once the "Bean counters" takes over...everything boils down to (seems to IMO) $$$.

  4. #19
    Detailing Gnosis Bunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Who cares? At least corporations provide jobs and bring products to market.
    The majority of the jobs are not created in the USA. Manufacturing in another country may not be by itself wrong but the huge exodus of jobs as corporate profits have soared (all the trickle down working somewhere else) has left us with a workforce, many without needed skills, without decent paying jobs.

    We do need entitlement reform but the benefits of the improving economy have not reach all yet to reduce the impact on social programs (welfare, food stamps).

    Al
    The Need to Bead


  5. #20
    Wax Waster Ronkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SwFL
    Posts
    26,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    "don`t hate the player, hate the game". until a fair tax plan is developed, people and corporations will use whatever "legal" write-offs they can to keep more of their own money and there are a ton of write-offs if you can wade through the ridiculous amount of irs codes. of course, the politicians who write the codes always win.

    Thanks for taking care of the light work Steve......


    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That`s an oversimplification. Corporations are run by people; people can choose to have morals, ethics and values. Corporations can choose not to employ lobbyists to create and exploit loopholes in the tax code. If the sole purpose of corporation or company is to generate revenue, we now live in a pretty sad world. I don`t think the Wright Brothers invented an airplane for the sole purpose of generating revenue. I don`t think a @#$%ing MBA ever invented anything.

    Your whole argument is a huge cop-out; corporations are started by people--people who are inventors, visionaries, pioneers, entrepreneurs. Sure there was a profit motive, but it wasn`t their ONLY motive--they left that to the MBA CEO`s who run them now.

    Partially correct, mostly wrong....

    Explannation = CEO`s have a fiduciary responsibility to their stock holders. Therefore, if they didn`t do all they could to be more profitable, they could be fired, sued and worse.

    But I do agree that most mba`s aint worth the paper their diploma is written on. There was once a story about a business ethics class for mba`s. Think it was held on April Fools day.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes tropicsteve, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

  6. #21
    Wax Waster Ronkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SwFL
    Posts
    26,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    "don`t hate the player, hate the game". until a fair tax plan is developed, people and corporations will use whatever "legal" write-offs they can to keep more of their own money and there are a ton of write-offs if you can wade through the ridiculous amount of irs codes. of course, the politicians who write the codes always win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That`s an oversimplification. Corporations are run by people; people can choose to have morals, ethics and values. Corporations can choose not to employ lobbyists to create and exploit loopholes in the tax code. If the sole purpose of corporation or company is to generate revenue, we now live in a pretty sad world. I don`t think the Wright Brothers invented an airplane for the sole purpose of generating revenue. I don`t think a @#$%ing MBA ever invented anything.

    Your whole argument is a huge cop-out; corporations are started by people--people who are inventors, visionaries, pioneers, entrepreneurs. Sure there was a profit motive, but it wasn`t their ONLY motive--they left that to the MBA CEO`s who run them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I agree with you.. Inventors, visionaries, pioneers, and entrepreneurs started many of the big corporations and someone else (i.e... a bean counter) ends up running them later. This is sad but it is real.

    I experienced it firsthand. I used to work for a company that went from being privately held to publicly traded. The founder was well respected by all. Stories of how he personally help his employees were abound. He once flipped a hospital bill for an employee when he found out he couldn`t afford it. The founder was a hippie from the 70s and community activism was always a priority. All that changed....once the company went public. A few years back, the board of directors removed him as the CEO and installed a wall-street type. Can you imagine being fired from a company that you created/started....

    Once the "Bean counters" takes over...everything boils down to (seems to IMO) $$$.

    Perfect. Sorta like the Investment bankers on Wall St, telling Olive Garden to stop the all you can eat bread sticks
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

  7. #22
    Swanicyouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    The majority of the jobs are not created in the USA. Manufacturing in another country may not be by itself wrong but the huge exodus of jobs as corporate profits have soared (all the trickle down working somewhere else) has left us with a workforce, many without needed skills, without decent paying jobs.

    We do need entitlement reform but the benefits of the improving economy have not reach all yet to reduce the impact on social programs (welfare, food stamps).
    This country manufactured "stuff" before all these entitlements started. If half the people in this country weren`t receiving some type of "entitlement" (love that term), there would be more competition for jobs - and costs of labor would probably go down. In fact, you could probably actually make something in this country.

    The problem IMHO isn`t an economic one - it`s a mentality problem. There are huge clumps of cities in America where nobody works. There are government programs for medical care, food, and housing. The government is there to see nobody goes without. Well, maybe if people are in fear of "going without" they would get a damn job.

    IMHO the only way to fix it is to cut them off. The labor force would increase, new workers would have earned dollars to spend and pay more taxes - and the economy would be stimulated. New jobs would be created.

    How did this all work 100 years ago before all these BS entitlement programs??? Those who worked ate - those that didn`t - didn`t. It was pretty simple. America manufactured all types of goods. Now we make nothing and a large portion of our population sits at home each day waiting for a government check.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Thanks, Ron. Another one of those guys who have tons of complaints, but not a single REALISTIC solution. just mad at the world. nobody could ever do right enough for these people.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    11,651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    This country manufactured "stuff" before all these entitlements started. If half the people in this country weren`t receiving some type of "entitlement" (love that term), there would be more competition for jobs - and costs of labor would probably go down. In fact, you could probably actually make something in this country.
    With all due respect, you are too young to know what you are talking about. And the whole "47%" is such a specious argument, you know that includes people who are retired (or not retired) and collecting social security, right? Are you going to begrudge your parents (and Ron) their social security? Or aren`t your parents old enough to collect social security? I guess if they are they are just "takers", right?
    Likes MooreImpressive liked this post

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    11,651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Partially correct, mostly wrong....

    Explannation = CEO`s have a fiduciary responsibility to their stock holders. Therefore, if they didn`t do all they could to be more profitable, they could be fired, sued and worse.
    Thanks Ron, for straightening me out! BTW, CEO`s always had that responsibility, but they weren`t always dicks. Now go back to watching Fox News.
    Likes MooreImpressive liked this post

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Setec has been living on Planet Earth. Ron is still in fantasy land. good luck, Ron. its a cruel world, understand it and change, or you`ll get left behind. I didn`t make the rules, I just get them.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Battle Ground, Washington
    Posts
    376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Does anybody know what the percentage is when you factor out social security and medicare? Those people, including me, should not be included as we earned those "entitlements" as we paid into the system for many years.
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    11,651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    Does anybody know what the percentage is when you factor out social security and medicare? Those people, including me, should not be included as we earned those "entitlements" as we paid into the system for many years.
    Exactly--I was looking that up, it`s very easy to find: Monthly Statistical Snapshot, April 2015

    So, just taking the over 65 retirees, that`s ~13% of the population--Population Clock

    That doesn`t include the people that are on Social Security Disability--since they are "takers"

    The thing that I can`t find is how many of those 47% "takers" are on military pensions or on military disability--because those guys that got their legs blown off in Iraq and are collecting government disability--they`re the worst takers there are, right? And those career military guys--30 years and they`re collecting a pension??? Takers! And what about those retired FBI and federal marshals and DEA--where is Fox News exposing these takers! And the retired CIA--that`s not like a real job, is it? I think they can sit around doing nothing, because it`s all "classified", that`s just a ruse so I can`t tell where my tax dollars are going! Oh, and what about those mailmen? Sure, they privatized the post office--but what about before then? All those mailmen sitting around collecting government pensions and just to add insult to injury, some poor sap has to deliver mail to them--but he`ll never get a government pension!

    You guys convinced me--everything would be fine if it wasn`t for all those takers who never gave ANYTHING to this country--that are all on the government dole...

    EDIT: And while I`m on a roll, Swanic, you work in a pharmacy--did it ever occur to you that the people you interact with are disproportionately on "government assistance" because they are old (retired) and disabled? I`d be willing to bet the percentage of pharmacy customers that are on government assistance is a lot higher than the general population--because people who are on Medicare or disability are a lot more likely to need medication than the general population.

  14. #29
    Swanicyouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    With all due respect, you are too young to know what you are talking about. And the whole "47%" is such a specious argument, you know that includes people who are retired (or not retired) and collecting social security, right? Are you going to begrudge your parents (and Ron) their social security? Or aren`t your parents old enough to collect social security? I guess if they are they are just "takers", right?
    This is great. I`m too young to know what I`m talking about??? Start talking about cutting entitlements and making people work to earn money and right away we`re starving senior citizens. Seriously? You have to know that`s not where I`m implying the abuses lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

    EDIT: And while I`m on a roll, Swanic, you work in a pharmacy--did it ever occur to you that the people you interact with are disproportionately on "government assistance" because they are old (retired) and disabled? I`d be willing to bet the percentage of pharmacy customers that are on government assistance is a lot higher than the general population--because people who are on Medicare or disability are a lot more likely to need medication than the general population.
    Lolz. Too rich. Most people on "government assistance" I deal with aren`t disabled or "old". By "government assistance" I`m talking about Medicaid - not Medicare. I`m not implying or stating retired Medicare recipients should be cut. In fact, IMHO, I think Medicare benefits should be increased. I deal with people who have worked their whole lives, retired, only to have to spend 50%+ of their monthly income on medication - that`s AFTER Medicare.

    I don`t think ANYONE wants senior starving or going without medical care. On the other hand, there is a massive amount of our population out there who are young healthy eaters who choose not to work. I`m not sure why your trying to lump these people in with the retired - but obviously it`s not the same population.... While they can`t seem to work for some reason or other, they seem to be able to figure out how to reproduce quite readily.

  15. #30
    Detailing Gnosis Bunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trueisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    How did this all work 100 years ago before all these BS entitlement programs??? Those who worked ate - those that didn`t - didn`t. It was pretty simple. America manufactured all types of goods. Now we make nothing and a large portion of our population sits at home each day waiting for a government check.
    I do not consider both completely related. The exodus of jobs with the disparity growing between rich and poor is not good for the country. It is not all because they are all lazy. Some of these pockets were created by the government by discriminatory housing laws helped by banks for years after being declared illegal. Years ago we were more agricultural based so many could self-subsist but much less so today.

    I think we need to get people educated for the jobs of the future - not the past. The majority of the manufacturing jobs are gone and not coming back. College is too expensive -- another racket like health care.

    Al
    The Need to Bead


 

 
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •