Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight 93????

Post Thanks / Like

Flight 93????

Anyone going to see this movie?

I`m not sure about how I feel about it, had I lost a loved one in this I would have some serious reservations about it, I didn`t and I still have reservations about it.

How about you?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flight 93????

In a way I think it`s sort of tacky for Hollywood to try and make money off it. Maybe if the proceeds were going to some sort of fund for the victims families or something....
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer
    In a way I think it`s sort of tacky for Hollywood to try and make money off it. Maybe if the proceeds were going to some sort of fund for the victims families or something....
    I did hear that part of the profits are going to a memorial for the families

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. will not see this movie. these people were true heroes and I keep them in my thoughts and heart. IMO I do not need a movie to remind me of that. to me it just seems kind of goolish. where do we draw the line ???????
    just when you think you have your system down pat, you learn something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    I did hear that part of the profits are going to a memorial for the families
    Kind of makes me wonder what "part" of the profits will go a meaningful fund/memorial. As with most every other movie, I won`t be seeing this one.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

10% of the movies opening day profits go to the families of Flight 93. I would rather donate the cash, than see the speculative film.

I lived in NYC when this happened, from what I saw in the streets, I thought it was the begining of the end of the world, it still may be.

I wanted to avoid this post. But I cant. I lost a close friend on 9/11 - Jill Metzler, my wife was on the phone with her when the first plane hit the building, she was the last to talk to her.
    The company I was working with at that time, KBW, had their headquarters there. They lost 87 people or almost 50% of their total staff. Each year they donate 1 days trading profits to the families of the employess that were killed on 9-11. The CEO, a really good man, lost his son.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Flight 93????

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    10% of the movies opening day profits go to the families of Flight 93. I would rather donate the cash, than see the speculative film.
    That`s exactly the point I was trying to make. Hollywood cashing in. I mean, it`s noble that they will donate anything, but c`mon....10% of one day`s profits. That`s like a drop in the bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s exactly the point I was trying to make. Hollywood cashing in. I mean, it`s noble that they will donate anything, but c`mon....10% of one day`s profits. That`s like a drop in the bucket.
    I have to agree. It should be more like 100% of the first weeks gross revenue and that still wouldn`t make things better.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

The company I mention donates about $3,000,000 per year to 87 families. This movie wont make $30,000,000 on its first day. They filmed it all in the UK ot avoid the possible protesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    The company I mention donates about $3,000,000 per year to 87 families. This movie wont make $30,000,000 on its first day. They filmed it all in the UK ot avoid the possible protesting.
    I did hear that they had permission from ALL the families to do this film....Like Dwayne said they should donate more money if not all the income to helping the families....its not like the movie industry is hurting for money

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a film based on Flight 93 about 6 months ago. I was flipping thru the channels and ran up on it. I was riveted to the movie. I forget the title.I went through all kinds of emotions watching it. I was thinking about the familys receving calls from loved ones while all of this was taking place.
    The cell phone contact while the flight was going enabled the passengers to figure out what was actually going on. The people on that plane are heroes and no doubt saved lives. I don`t think I could watch another movie like that.
    It took me back to the day it happened and I vividly remember all of that day and probably always will. My heart and prayers go out to those who lost loved ones on that day. I know this film will tear the scab off that wound for them to bleed again as the press will talk about this film. I think it is in poor taste and if done 100% of the profits should have gone to the familys.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so here are a few facts - the film was made with complete approval of all the surviving members of flight93. The movie is in real time - the 90 minutes boarding to going down. The filmakers sat with all surviving family members and friends to get intimate details of personalities, quirks what have you of every person on the plane, air traffic controllers..everyone. When they cast the film (purposly with no-name actors) the picked actors based on the profiles they had created talking to the families and friends. The actors met with the families and friends to honor each person`s portrayal accurately. The families got updated newsletters from the producers every two weeks. The film maker`s truely wanted to honor the memory of flight 93 and it`s victims - to tell their story.

Now on to the business of movies - it takes 4.5 to 5 times the amount of money it cost to make a film for it to make a profit. They are donating 10% of the boxoffice of the first 3 days to the 93 memorial project. Potentially a huge sum of money. The movie, the website all the materials surrounding the film encourage donations to the 93 memorial project. It is estimated to cost 58 million dollars, of which 30 million will be raised by private donations. (www.flight93memorialproject.org). The state of Pennsylvania has commited 10 million (where the crash took place). There is some question as to the commitment amount from the federal government as a Congressman from NC is holding up the approval of money.

Before you judge - read some unbiased information on the premiere at tribecca film festival from Canada.com
    http://www.canada.com/topics/enterta...95&k=69815&p=1
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groebuck
    Okay so here are a few facts - the film was made with complete approval of all the surviving members of flight93. The movie is in real time - the 90 minutes boarding to going down. The filmakers sat with all surviving family members and friends to get intimate details of personalities, quirks what have you of every person on the plane, air traffic controllers..everyone. When they cast the film (purposly with no-name actors) the picked actors based on the profiles they had created talking to the families and friends. The actors met with the families and friends to honor each person`s portrayal accurately. The families got updated newsletters from the producers every two weeks. The film maker`s truely wanted to honor the memory of flight 93 and it`s victims - to tell their story.

Now on to the business of movies - it takes 4.5 to 5 times the amount of money it cost to make a film for it to make a profit. They are donating 10% of the boxoffice of the first 3 days to the 93 memorial project. Potentially a huge sum of money. The movie, the website all the materials surrounding the film encourage donations to the 93 memorial project. It is estimated to cost 58 million dollars, of which 30 million will be raised by private donations. (www.flight93memorialproject.org). The state of Pennsylvania has commited 10 million (where the crash took place). There is some question as to the commitment amount from the federal government as a Congressman from NC is holding up the approval of money.

Before you judge - read some unbiased information on the premiere at tribecca film festival from Canada.com
    http://www.canada.com/topics/enterta...95&k=69815&p=1

I can appreciate what you have posted for us to read thanks!!....I knew that they had talked to all the families about this film...However I am not passing judgement on the film or its intentions....There are allot of things that Hollywood can make movies about but a national attack on the US seems a bit caddy to me...IMO...As to how much it takes to make a movie that was the decision they made to either make money or loose money....the fact that they are giving back 10% is great more would have been better...again..IMO

I guess for me would I want to relive that day talking with movie producers about my loved one death...NO...I have to wonder just how they got everyone to agree to this....not say it was the case but $$$ seems to come to mind...

So what`s next a movie about the poor people that where in the twin towers and there story?

I`m sorry about my tone but this was a catastrofy on the US beyond comprehension at least for me....to be making a movie about it seems a bit caddy...thanks

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Good links Groebuck. Obviously the families agreed to this film being made. I would think maybe they wanted all to know the whole story and the actual feelings they went through during the flight and 9/11. I looked at the links and noted the film reveiw saying it was the first film about the incident. Obvously not. I saw a film and it was comprised of no name actors just like this one.The odd thing is I noted that the actors looked a lot like the actual characters and even the terrorist that I saw actual pictures of. Be prepared, as I said of the being taken back to that day. It was a very odd feeling. I am going to try and find out the film that I watched on Sat that day. I may go to see this film to see how close it was to the film I veiwed earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t see anything wrong with what they are doing. It seems to me that they have gotten approval from those that matter. I have seen several movies that were based on past events, and I plan on going to see this one. I don`t think that this movie is one that needs reviews or thumbs.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information