Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: whats the weather where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    Been running on Briggs & Stratton power and gas logs for the last 5 days
    ice storm has put a hurting on our county. 1 tree fell on my 12x28 shed, caved the roof in
    weather man says another ice storm starts tonight lasting 14 hours, supposedly worse than the first one
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Stay safe and warm!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    as long as the generator keeps going we will be ok
    down to 38% propane. Should be good for a couple weeks
    i don’t run generator or gas logs at night
    got down to 25 last night. It was chilly when I woke up today. Didn’t want to get from underneath the covers Lol

Post Thanks / Like

To all of you in the south and the mid-east who have gone through this once-in-500-year winter-weather event, my heart and prayers go out to you all, especially Texas. it may be a long road to recover and back to "the new normal in midst of a pandemic" life we know.

There are some issues that will need to be addressed in the aftermath of this historic weather event:
    1) Green energy does not work in weather like this. Solar panels covered in ice and snow and ice-frozen wind turbines don`t produced the electrical energy when it is needed the most as a dependency back-up to "traditional" electrical power generation. That`s a glaring and, quite frankly, life-threatening weakness in an extreme weather event like this.
    2) Frozen water pipes both commercial and residential will need to be fixed and this repair will affect millions of homes and businesses. It is not a localized disaster, like a tornado or even a hurricane; this is a multi-state widespread disaster that will take an extended period of time to repair.
    3) Home and business insurance companies will suffer huge financial blows, as will utilities trying to repair or replace damage electrical distribution and grid infrastructure. Who is responsible for what loses will, not doubt, end up in very costly and protracted legal litigation and the end-loser will be the customers who will have to pay for this all in some way. This one historic winter weather event, could become a tipping point to an already fragile US economy impacted by the COVID pandemic.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie,

Regarding #1 I think most agree that green energy’s current standing is as a supplement as opposed to being a primary energy source. The real problem with Texas’ power issues was with a power system that wasn’t prepared for such cold weather. Natural gas, which is the backbone energy producer had major issues with freezing gas lines and other issues that was the real source of their power issues. I’m sure they will learn out of this to better winterize their systems. Add in the fact that the majority of Texas home heat is provided by electricity as opposed to natural gas, propane, or heating oil as is more common up north and you can see how these cold snaps cause power issues.

I shutter to think how bad #2 or #3 will be.

EDIT: I remember seeing wind turbines in Canada so I know they can operate in cold weather. Take a look at this GE cold weather package that allows them to work in weather down to -30C. This was 12 years ago so the fact is that Texas just didn’t plan/pay for the cold weather option.
    https://nawindpower.com/ge-wind-turb...r-capabilities

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Lonnie,

Regarding #1 I think most agree that green energy’s current standing is as a supplement as opposed to being a primary energy source. The real problem with Texas’ power issues was with a power system that wasn’t prepared for such cold weather. Natural gas, which is the backbone energy producer had major issues with freezing gas lines and other issues that was the real source of their power issues. I’m sure they will learn out of this to better winterize their systems. Add in the fact that the majority of Texas home heat is provided by electricity as opposed to natural gas, propane, or heating oil as is more common up north and you can see how these cold snaps cause power issues.

I shutter to think how bad #2 or #3 will be.

EDIT: I remember seeing wind turbines in Canada so I know they can operate in cold weather. Take a look at this GE cold weather package that allows them to work in weather down to -30C. This was 12 years ago so the fact is that Texas just didn’t plan/pay for the cold weather option.
    https://nawindpower.com/ge-wind-turb...r-capabilities
    I agree... Why spend all that money in preparation for extreme weather that is highly unlikely to ever happen in that local...until it does. Now you go through the blame-game and legal liability of who is responsible for the home damage that "controlled" electrical blackouts have caused.
    Your information on electrical heating for Texas homes makes sense for "normal" winter weather and I was unaware how prevalent that heating source is used down there. No one could have predicted how extreme the cold would become or the snow and ice events of multiple storms would set up over Texas and the South and Mid-Atlantic states like they have, nor the time duration of such extreme weather you and many others have had to endure.

Like I said, it will be long road to recovery with some very big economic impacts on all of the US and we are just in that initial awareness phase. The evaluation to assess the damages and implementation phases on how to go about fixing everything and assigning priorities to them, I think, is greatly under-estimated by both the local, state, and federal government and the people who have been directly affected by this extreme and widespread winter weather disaster.

My biggest concern is the energy from natural gas and petroleum that Texas sells to the rest of this nation that we rely on. Today, February 18th, 2021,the Texas governor`s mandate to not sell these products outside of Texas in the short-term to aid in his state`s recovery, while laudable, will have a ripple effect on this nation`s economy and may backfire on such thinking. If my state does not have the needed Texas-produced energy to produce and manufacture home-building products needed for Texans to fix their homes, then we are all in world of hurt and no one benefits. Let us hope that common sense and fair play will will not become federal government edicts and intervention of who-gets-what-when and tests the term "united" of this great nation`s name-sake and the people who comprise and define this nation.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

well the was 80* in NE Florida....plenty of pollen...Friday night going down to 43* ....lol one day i wear shorts the next day jeans and a sweater
    ns and a

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    My biggest concern is the energy from natural gas and petroleum that Texas sells to the rest of this nation that we rely on. Today, February 18th, 2021,the Texas governor`s mandate to not sell these products outside of Texas in the short-term to aid in his state`s recovery, while laudable, will have a ripple effect on this nation`s economy and may backfire on such thinking. If my state does not have the needed Texas-produced energy to produce and manufacture home-building products needed for Texans to fix their homes, then we are all in world of hurt and no one benefits. Let us hope that common sense and fair play will will not become federal government edicts and intervention of who-gets-what-when and tests the term "united" of this great nation`s name-sake and the people who comprise and define this nation.
    Interesting. I was reading this week that Texas, despite generating quite a bit of electrical power, is not connected to the national grid like other states. This doesn`t allow them to sell electricity to other states when they have access, but also doesn`t allow them to buy power from other states when they have shortfalls like what is being experienced now. The state will sell natural gas and oil, but not electricity?

Hopefully as part of the re-building process they will actually make needed corrections, like burying lines deeper (my water and gas are at least 4~6` in the ground), rather than just fixing them quickly. It`s a delicate balance.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Sunny and 68 here in the Phoenix metro area with a breeze.

I`ve been following Texas weather as I have friends that are in the Houston area. I understand the mentality of being self-sufficient, but at what cost? Texas apparently was allowed to opt out of federal regulation some years back, and are not tied into the grid. Which means somewhere like Dallas, which is closer to Kansas City and most of Oklahoma, has to go to Corpus Christi for power.

Now they`ve been told at least once that their grid is not prepared for cold blasts and people have suffered as a result. The first response was "well, it`s the green energy that`s freezing." True, but do you know that wind turbines up north don`t freeze in the winter (brother is in MN) because they`re winterized. In addition, even the natural gas power stations were going offline due to freezing parts. It`s just a lack of planning and preparation because the Texas powers that be (pardon the pun) don`t want to spend the money and don`t want to increase the rates. The result: chaos and people`s lives turned inside out for a while (at a minimum) during an already difficult period.

I worked in logisitics for emergency management situations for a long time. Preventable situations like this one drive me up a wall.

Hope all affected are doing as well as they can.

Gordon
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very dismal for a holiday weekend. Rain and cool Sat & Sun. Had to bump the heat on last night! Look`s like it`s not going to get decent till Monday. Finally on vacation this week. Hope to get some decent days!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Very dismal for a holiday weekend. Rain and cool Sat & Sun. Had to bump the heat on last night! Look`s like it`s not going to get decent till Monday. Finally on vacation this week. Hope to get some decent days!
    Same here in NE/NJ....except for the vacation.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot..................
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

What is that? The SUN? That was 2 dreary days!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

NE/NJ - 1pm....Here comes the Sun.......

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information