Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: whats the weather where you are?

With the genuinely serious weather some Autopians have to deal with, ours never seems all that significant even if it does take me hours to clear it (despite working with great equipment too). Got done in under three hours today and I bet that would barely get things started in some locales!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we just had 3-1-/2" of wet snow on Thursday when it was about 29°F. I shoveled Thursday night just to stay ahead of the heavy snow . Early Friday morning added another 2-1/2", which I again shoveled, but the temp dropped to 8°F, and I literally froze my legs, turning them into big, red hives (Cold-induced urticaria). I have 4 driveways to shovel, my own and 3 neighbors. Sunday morning it was -15°F on with a Windchill Index of -32°F. At least now it looks and feels like a Wisconsin winter. So cold even the tunnel car washes shut down and the salt laid down to prevent Thursday`s wet snow from turning to ice as it`s run over by cars, well, it just does not work at such cold temps so the side streets and intersections are ice-covered and a little treacherous to drive on. Just got to be "sensible" about driving speeds and when to apply the brakes, even with anti-lock brakes. Best tip for stopping on ice? Apply as little pressure to brake pedal to keep it from locking up or engaging the anti-lock feature. Yeah, I know most driving schools tell you just smash the brake pedal and let the anti-lock do its thing.
    ALL the vehicles driven since it snowed now look ermine-white and are covered in a chalky white powder of salt dust, including mine. Cleaning or washing them will have to wait and temps do not look to warm up for the next 7-10 days (5 to 13°F about 0 during the day and -5°F to -15°F at night). If fact, next weekend is forecasted to be even colder than this weekend! We`ll see.

By the way, if you wondering how cold -15°F is, I once saw a local morning newscaster take a banana outside the previous day and let it freeze overnight.The next morning he then took that hard, frozen banana like a hammer and drove a small nail into a pine board.

More food for thought on the cold? Since today is Super Bowl Sunday, the National Football League has long considered playing the Big Game in a cold-weather OUTDOOR football stadium and did so with Super Bowl XLVIII (48) when it played at the Meadowlands Sport Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey on February 4, 2014. That day was a "balmy" 48°F. It did NOT go well with the NFL owners or then commissioner Pete Rozelle. Imagine playing the Super Bowl today, Sunday February 7, 2021 at Lambeau Field. Kickoff temp will probably be -5°F with a Windchill Index close to -15°F. Still warmer than the Ice Bowl played at Lambeau on December 31, 1967 for the NFL championship. That day the actual ambient temp was -12°F and based on the new Windchill Index, it is factored to be at -30°F to -35°F, making it the coldest day for an NFL game. (The AFC Championship game in Cincinnati, OH on January 10, 1982 was -8°F with a new Windchill Index of -34°F for the next coldest game. Ask NBC Football analysts Cris Collinsworth who played in that game as a rookie wide receiver what it was like!) At that time, Lambeau Field held about 50,852 fans. It is common Packer football lore that 90,000 Packer fans will tell you they were there for that epic game and will show you some permanently damaged frost-bitten body extremity they suffered at that game to prove they were there!
    Needless to say, the NFL is no longer considering playing the Super Bowl outdoors at an NFL cold-weather stadium ever again.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Snow again !

Glad I IGLd my snow blower.

What else to do with the balance of the kit.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m genuinely envious of you guys getting all the snow.

My family really likes snow and it doesn`t bother me a bit. Right now we`ve got the temperature in the teens and single digits at night, but it dry with gray overcast skies. There may be few flurries to put a dusting of snow on the ground, but nothing meaningful. If I`m going to deal with cold, gray weather for weeks on end, I`d be much happier if I had some snow to go along with it!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    By the way, if you wondering how cold -15°F is, I once saw a local morning newscaster take a banana outside the previous day and let it freeze overnight.The next morning he then took that hard, frozen banana like a hammer and drove a small nail into a pine board.

Sunday here was -18, -29 windchill. How cold is that? Cold enough my younger dog (1yo Dane mix) was proving she could in fact do her bathroom duties outside on 2 (diagonal) feet...

Post Thanks / Like

All I know is that this extreme cold is very hard on vehicles. Vehicles that are older in age and have neglected maintenance will not start or have starters break or flywheel ring-gear teeth break, suspension parts snap, 5-year old batteries that just don`t have the oomph to turn over a motor filled with conventional 10W-30 oil, or fuel lines that freeze because water got in the gas tank, OR tires that literally roll off of rims as vehicles go around corners because they were never checked for air pressure and are now grossly under-inflated (see a lot of that on vehicles driven around in extremely cold temps.) It is "good weather" for tow shops and vehicle repair shops or even new and "pre-owned" (AKA, used) car & truck sales, proving when something is bad of one group its good business for another.

One other aspect that EVERY vehicle driver experiences in extreme cold: it takes FOREVER to fill up their vehicle with gas as gas pumps do not pump as fast and gas does not flow as well as it becomes more "viscous" or jelly-like. Yes, winter blend gasoline have additives to their formulations to negate or mitigate this gelling, but the viscosity does increase as the temps go down. That and the internal-combustion engine looses its `efficiency" and gas mileage suffers accordingly and the thicker gas does not have the same BTU-rating due to reduced evaporation and volatility combustion efficiency (Its ability to burn and produce power in the combustion chamber during the ignition and power stroke of a 4-cycle piston-driven engine) My wife`s 2015 Ford Taurus 3.5-liter V-6 will drop to about 13 Miles per gallon when driven around town in sub-zero weather, requiring more frequent fill-ups. You do NOT want to run your gas tank below 1/4 empty; you are just asking for trouble with frozen gas lines or making the gas pump inside the gas tank (yes, most newer vehicles have the gas pump INSIDE the tank, not on the engine!) work too hard. Food for thought if you live in shadows of "The Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field" (literally now!).
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, you Autopians dealing with *real* winter weather are reminding me that ours is easy-peasy by comparison...just awfully time-consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it`s Wed. February 10th, and I am just wondering if there are any Autopians experiencing ice storm warnings where they live and what it is like for them. Nothing to fool around with, as the National Weather Service has labeled it as "Life-threatening".
    Just hope the best for those of you who have, are, or will go through this weather disaster and hope that the electrical power stays on and that you do not have to drive in it.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

We`ve got that problem right now.

We`ve had light snow overnight the last two days. We`ve been getting about 2" each night. Temps have been in the teens since Sunday.

None of that is really all that bad except today, AFTER I drove to work, it starts to rain and the temperature was 18F. Never seen it rain when it`s that cold before. Looking out my window I can see the snow is now under a nice layer of ice and sleet and it`s still coming down.

My daughter has it worse in Northern Oklahoma. It`s been raining for two days now and the temps have been well below freezing the entire time. She can play hockey in her back yard.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I was out using the roof rake this afternoon. Quite an accumulation now I have huge entertainment from running the snow blowers, but it`s really starting to feel cold and I kinda wish winter would end.... NOW.

Post Thanks / Like

76 degrees, blue skies, and sunny...

Do you feel better now?

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Power Outage? Check..but at least it wasn`t out for too long this time.

Cold snap from a Polar Vortex? Check...perfect timing for one of our furnaces to die

Desertnate- Ah, yeah...we have the "solid ice under the snow" in a big way here too.

tom p- Heh heh, my "Snowblower-use entertainment" wears thin after a few hours, but when I consider the alternative..at least my roofer insisted I wouldn`t have to use the roof rake any more (we`ll see about that).

Merlin- Gee, that l looks awfully appealing to Yours Truly at present!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappy from October to April

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    76 degrees, blue skies, and sunny...

Do you feel better now?
    Well I gotta ask, Merlin:
    Are you selling you Enchanted Concours Paste Wax as bikini wax as well? HMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Been running on Briggs & Stratton power and gas logs for the last 5 days
    ice storm has put a hurting on our county. 1 tree fell on my 12x28 shed, caved the roof in
    weather man says another ice storm starts tonight lasting 14 hours, supposedly worse than the first one

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information