Post Thanks / Like
    You may or may not have heard about the current situation in GR. Basically the government decided in one night to shut down the state owned media (both TV and radio).

The pretence is to save money and reinstate an agile private owned successor.

This constitutes a blatant violation of the constitution. It`s like the state violating your 5th.

The simple people are mostly against this and it may be the beginning of something beautiful and liberating for a country savaged by inhumane policies for the last 3 years.

I hope you can all stand by us in this fight! I am off to the street and I will report more later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greece fell into the "social trap" of entitlements without sufficent income being generated by the people.

The pot ran dry, more going out to people who did not contribute to the pot than put money in it.

The USA and some other countries are slowly facing the same situation.

The "debt" of nations is exceeding the income, more goes to pay the interest on loans, bonds, etc than there is coming in to pay it.

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Spain, Italy, now Germany, for sometime, France has been on the edge, with Spain going over the cliff.

Canada would be if not for their huge crude oil exports.

Unemployment may be directly linked to companies leaving a country due to high taxes, goverment mandated vacation time, etc, all of that fuel this entitlement cancer.

Young people can`t get a job because the companies aren`t hiring, but moving to other areas of the world that allow them to make that "nasty" word, PROFIT.

Companies need to make a profit to feed the economy of a nation, state, city, etc.

Everyone wants to be rich, however, many don`t wish to pay the price for having a good standard of living, as that requires that they actually work for a fair wage and contribute to the society through that work.

Nothing is free, and that is what many fail to comprehend.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my first job delivering newspapers and shoveling snow when I was 12 and have worked my way through college playing in a rock band and working part time while maintaining a high grade point average. I have been busting my backside for the last 31+ years as a firefighter that has worked one and two per diem part time jobs as well as detailing woeking anywhere between 60 and 90+ hours a week to earn my piece of the American Dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Debt has been the mechanism of destruction and those who have worked hard and honest for a piece of any dream some times pay an uneven price.

The fault of both the masses and the rich and powerful is exactly the same. Greed. the scale/impact is different.

The masses relying on credit to buy things or live a life style they cannot reasonably afford.

The rich and powerful for not relying on the wealth they accumulate through fair means, but trembling on everything (people, countries, the planet) for that extra power and leverage or extra foot on a boat or whatever they pursue.

Apart from this fundamental principle and coming back to the miniature of Greece, there comes a time where you must say enough is enough. Alternatively you decide that no matter what the price (i.e. losing freedom and dignity) it is preferable to protect your current life style and play it safe.

Many people are on the balance now in Greece. I just hope the balance tilts to the way of freedom and democracy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron please allow me to disagree on the root cause. It is not the social entitlement trap. If it was, then the US would not be in the mess it is in, would it?

Leaving everything on the state or going the other way giving everything to the private sector can be equally devastating. A balance of private initiative, under the scrutiny of a competent government can hit the spot for me. An actual example.

Reasonable minimum wage levels and benefits set by the state, private agreements on the workfloor. I get more now than the state set level because I bargained for it bring my experience and expertise on the table. A young colleague lacking these bargaining chips is still protected by the state intervention.

Just common sense and a win win mindset can make everyone happy. This is not present unfortunately in our world is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I watch and pay attention to world news, finanical is a key.

Greece has little industry producing products that the rest of the globe wishes to buy.

Greece has a history of "following the politicans", going back to WWII, and what happened during that time and what followed.

Politicans use the people to gain power, what they do with it may be good or for the bad.

Greece, according to all information, has had it`s voting citizens follow the "promises" of the politiicans, and slowly put themselves, as a country into the "empty pot".

I have been to your country, it is beautiful, the people are wonderful, however, there is no infrastructure in place to support the population.

That is "my" observation, and it is from one that traveled the world, from Europe, to Asia, to "down under", to the Middle East, on business, spending weeks with business people, working side by side with people in training, education, in all of the nations.

I walked the streets, I spend evenings chatting with locals, hearing what they had to say about their countries, what they expected, so I have a bit of clue of the economics of many nations and how their citizens perseve what "they feel are due to them".

Greece has to face at least two more generations of citizens suffering the transgrations of those who went before them, before the posistive changes needed, may take place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron your analysis is spot on. My only comment would be that infrastructure is there, it is just not ran properly.

Tomorrow, there is a critical meeting of the triparty government to try and resolve this crisis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGonz
    I had my first job delivering newspapers and shoveling snow when I was 12

Times have changed. 12 year old do not work. They play video games and are on computers.

No one wants to work when they are young nowadays.

All they do is chat on facebook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update. Triparty government is now 2 party. Nothing changed and people accepted the undemocratic behaviour.

All is good and youngsters (with no future whatsoever) roam the islands to have fun. Just sad...

Politicians are as good as their people, pure and simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make Golden Dawn in power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob.
    Times have changed. 12 year old do not work. They play video games and are on computers.

No one wants to work when they are young nowadays.

All they do is chat on facebook.

When you keep giving them stuff without working, why would they want to work?

Thread Information