Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently looking to sell my van and be passat n buy one listed in the tittle, im looking for 06, both vechiles will look more professional, cleaner etc. I need to feedback, I only want comments of perception, looks, dont need comments on price, cost of ownership I already know that. Anyway what you guys think.....picture this turn up at your house in blacked out A8 or A4 wagon

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like you`d benefit from having a van or something with significant interior space. How will you manage with an Audi A8 sedan?

We`ve got an A6 wagon and I don`t think I want to settle for the tight interior of that car, let alone an A4 wagon, which is even smaller.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know which would best give the "I`m a competent pro detailer" impression, but IMO A8 (sedans) and A4 Avants give completely different impressions.

I`m much more partial to the A8, but I dunno if the impression an A8 gives is what you want to convey as a detailer. I mean, IMO it gives off a "white collar vibe". But too blacked out might give a negative impression, kinda "russian mob" or somesuch. Plus, I dunno how it`ll play for a detailer to show up in a vehicle that looks "superior" (eh,that`s not exactly the right word... :think: ) to the vehicles the customers have.

Guess I`d have to supress my personal preferences and say that the A4 (what about an A6?) avant would be the better choice in this case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I don`t represent your market segment, but blacked out anything to me looks like creep/wanna be thug. Nothing wrong with a customized car, but the whole murdered out look was out before it was in with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming that you`re working out of your van? I couldn`t imagine working out of an A8? It just doesn`t do much for me no matter how much they were brand new. Wagon is more practical and look better modded. Insurance is cheaper too.

Do you realize that if this car needs any kind of structural part replacement it can only be done at an Audi Authorized repair shop? And not very many Audi Body shops have this certification. Audi will not sell them the parts. This also means that the vehicle might have to be transported to another state at your expense. Not to mention the time it takes to get these parts too.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    It seems like you`d benefit from having a van or something with significant interior space. How will you manage with an Audi A8 sedan?

We`ve got an A6 wagon and I don`t think I want to settle for the tight interior of that car, let alone an A4 wagon, which is even smaller.
    I turned up to a customer working out a Porsche 911 turbo n fit everything I needed n I know Eric has worked out his NSX..... I don`t use tons of equipment for corrections n washes. Also I only get 10 mpg out my van, that`s kills me

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I don`t know which would best give the "I`m a competent pro detailer" impression, but IMO A8 (sedans) and A4 Avants give completely different impressions.

I`m much more partial to the A8, but I dunno if the impression an A8 gives is what you want to convey as a detailer. I mean, IMO it gives off a "white collar vibe". But too blacked out might give a negative impression, kinda "russian mob" or somesuch. Plus, I dunno how it`ll play for a detailer to show up in a vehicle that looks "superior" (eh,that`s not exactly the right word... :think: ) to the vehicles the customers have.

Guess I`d have to supress my personal preferences and say that the A4 (what about an A6?) avant would be the better choice in this case.

I agree with with what your saying about the impression you give. I`ve looked at a6, I`m using this as a personal car too,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Maybe I don`t represent your market segment, but blacked out anything to me looks like creep/wanna be thug. Nothing wrong with a customized car, but the whole murdered out look was out before it was in with me.
    I mean, black car, tinted, no black wheels, I`m not gonna make the Audi something it`s not. Classy looking

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Assuming that you`re working out of your van? I couldn`t imagine working out of an A8? It just doesn`t do much for me no matter how much they were brand new. Wagon is more practical and look better modded. Insurance is cheaper too.

Do you realize that if this car needs any kind of structural part replacement it can only be done at an Audi Authorized repair shop? And not very many Audi Body shops have this certification. Audi will not sell them the parts. This also means that the vehicle might have to be transported to another state at your expense. Not to mention the time it takes to get these parts too.

My vans get terrible gas mileage n space is not an issue, any repairs I`m doing myself, not taking car to any Audi dealerships. First job change timing belt, water pump, etc if not already done

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquedetailing
    I any repairs I`m doing myself, not taking car to any Audi dealerships. First job change timing belt, water pump, etc if not already done

I`m not talking about mechanical repairs, I`m referring to Body repairs. If you get into an accident and you need ANY type of structural part (frame rail / apron / quarter / rear body) only a shop that is Audi certified to repair A8s will be allowed to buy these parts. If there isn`t one of these shops in your area, you`ll most likely have to pay to tow your car to one which could mean in another state. So, if you`re using this car for your business, make sure you get an Insurance endorsement for loss of income while your car is at a A8 for 3-4 months getting repaired. And also extend your rental coverage too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`m not talking about mechanical repairs, I`m referring to Body repairs. If you get into an accident and you need ANY type of structural part (frame rail / apron / quarter / rear body) only a shop that is Audi certified to repair A8s will be allowed to buy these parts. If there isn`t one of these shops in your area, you`ll most likely have to pay to tow your car to one which could mean in another state. So, if you`re using this car for your business, make sure you get an Insurance endorsement for loss of income while your car is at a A8 for 3-4 months getting repaired. And also extend your rental coverage too.

Soooooo negative, why do audis get a bad name.......I understand your point though

Post Thanks / Like
    Soooooo negative, why do audis get a bad name.......

I wouldn`t say they have a bad name? I think A8s are great cars and extremely safe too. Just not *my* choice for a detailing cargo ship, but that is totally up to you and the image you are trying to present. Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soooooo negative, why do audis get a bad name.......I understand your point though

I don`t think anyone is being negative, in fact you have a few audi lovers posting in this thread. I just personally would not use such a vehicle as you are making a statement that may not work out in your favor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I don`t think anyone is being negative, in fact you have a few audi lovers posting in this thread. I just personally would not use such a vehicle as you are making a statement that may not work out in your favor.

It was a joke, but that went down like a lead ballon.......what statement am I making turning up in that vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I am using my B5.5 Passat Wagen as I sold my GMC Savana ( 11mpg ) and haven`t purchased a replacement yet. I love using my wagen as its so damn comfortable to drive and I have more than enough room for everything without folding the rear seat down but being it`s a W8, mileage in town isn`t fantastic. Maybe look for a TDi.

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...why do audis get a bad name...

There is a reason for that.

Ive had a bunch of cars in my life, and pretty much all of them had an issue of some sort. Some were body, and others were mechanical, and some a combination. In terms of cost of maintainance and other incidentals, My 01 A4 trunps them all, Colllectively.

Dont get me wrong, I love Audis. Always wanted one for as long as I could remember. But if I had it to do all over again, I woulda bought a Kia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, man..this is a loong-winded reply even for me But the topic covers a lot of stuff I take interest in.

It was a joke, but that went down like a lead ballon.......what statement am I making turning up in that vehicle?

Noting that I simply *love* my V8/A8/S8 Audis...the A8 cars do make a statement, and different generations of `em make different statements. And the black color is a whole `nother topic in itself.

Last part first- big, dark (especially black) sedans make a "I`m special, and you`re not" impression, I mean..."black car" is an actual, industry term! And sometimes, to some people, they also make a vaguely "sinister" impression. Note the scare-quotes, but it`s true, especially with certain demographics/ethnicities. When bad people show up in leather trenchcoats and sunglasses at o-dark-hundred, they`re often in cars like that; ever watch people from Eastern Europe when they see a car like this cruise by slowly? Just the way it is. Heh heh, why you ya think Mercury Marauders and Impala SSs were mostly sold in black Big black sedans say "BAD-@$$ guys inside". Big black european luxo sedans also say that those bad guys have money.

A8s in particular- These were originally very expensive cars, and the post-`05 (think that`s right) ones all pretty much look the same to most non-car-nuts. So it looks like a pricey car, meaning you look like you have money.

And you`d better *have* money if you own one. Mine cost me thousands on a regular basis, and my Service Manager says I`m really fortunate that I didn`t fall in love with the later ones because they`re "many times worse". All the techno-whiz-bang features are apparently simply a nightmare to keep working right, and that includes the suspensions. I`m told my D2-series cars are stone-age simple by comparison.

And no, you can`t do it all yourself unless you have the dealership`s electronic gizmos. Some stuff, sure, but not everything. And I`d hate to *not* be on best-pals basis with the dealership guys

And yeah, only select Audi dealers are authorized to work on these cars, both mechanically (the last local Audi dealer in my area was simply prohibited from working on them period) and, as mentioned, especially with regard to the aluminum body panels. They really do tell owners that certain body repairs mean shipping the car out of state, and that`s that.

Having had ours bent a few times, I can say that a) yeah, they`re safe in accidents, and b) a big part of that is because the car absorbs the damage so your body doesn`t. Aluminum folds up pretty easily, and you don`t fix it, you replace it. Or rather, the authorized Audi dealer`s bodyshop does.

On the "use for detailing" side, those cars were made for luxurious travel, generally for long distances. They weren`t made to haul tools/equipment around. Using one for that might make you look..eh, how to say this, especially without sounding nasty :think: ... well, it could look weird. Heh heh, we don`t drive ours when the situation cars for jeans and a t-shirt, we take a "less formal" car for stuff like that.

My choice for your application? A R-series Benz. I honestly think that`d be the best vehicle for what I think you`re after, even though it does look like a minivan that won the genetic lottery. But eh, I simply love wagons and I love my Audi dealer, so I`d probably buy an S4/S6 Avant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with the wagon. I detail out of my 2002 BMW 325xiT and no one ever questions it. If you wash with ONR, you eliminate the need for a truck or van IMO. Which I think the biggest factor you need to consider -- what type of detailing you do? I only work in residential areas or out of my garage. I require power and water access and cover for correction/polish jobs. Heck, I`m thinking about getting a MetroVac 500 so I can do quick waterless washes and interior vacuums in corporate locations and plug into the customers car for power .

This is my setup for interior jobs. For exterior I add my halogen lights, a storage bin full of pads and another bag of my good microfiber towels. Which means I just need to fold the other seat down to fit it all in:

100x more comfortable than any truck or van and it`s better on gas:

Thread Information