Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive come to the point where i`d really like to upgrade my ride. Ive thought heavily about getting a van, but have opted out for the idea of an SUV that i can tow a trailer behind. That way when i`m not working, ill be able to detach the trailer and just have a regular vehicle.

Ive been thinking about seeing if i can get a deal on one at an auction, but i have NO clue how to get into them and also don`t know a lot about what the risks are and why they are sold for so cheap.

I live in Arizona, if anyone has any info or experiences they`d like to share, id love to hear.

thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    hey, just sayin, i not only detail i parttime sell cars as well. the auctions are abseloutly crazy right now.. everybody thts sellin is doin anything they can to get the most outta theyre car.. so what they do is, anything to cover somedthing out. i never have much luck there. not only tht but the prices at dealer only auctions right now are pretty much right at retail.. it aint worth it.. IMHO i wouldnt buy a car from one and personally drive it. cuz I know something is bound to happen to it.. your best bet is to buy off of craigslist because at least when you are talkin to the owner of the car you have a little background on it.. hope this helps

-Nick
    Originaly Posted by: camaro5ryan

CG customer service sucks... Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Ive been thinking about seeing if i can get a deal on one at an auction, but i have NO clue how to get into them and also don`t know a lot about what the risks are and why they are sold for so cheap.

The real auctions are not open to the public. You will need a dealer`s license in many areas, Will.

The cars aren`t cheap, per se. In fact, used car prices are very strong right now.

You need to be able to assess a car by walking around it and "reading" it. Experience is key.

Do you know someone with a license that will take you to the auction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    The real auctions are not open to the public. You will need a dealer`s license in many areas, Will.

The cars aren`t cheap, per se. In fact, used car prices are very strong right now.

You need to be able to assess a car by walking around it and "reading" it. Experience is key.

Do you know someone with a license that will take you to the auction?

^^^Yep.

I have a close friend that`s a dealer and I would probably suggest buying elsewhere.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are some shady dealers who will try and auction off problems cars with issues that can`t be detected right away.

I`d suggest finding a private party that has a well maintained vehicle.

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    My shop is attached to a dealership and we buy auction vehicles every week. Late model stuff usually checks out ok, but when you get into older/higher KM stuff you take a bigger chance. Everybody is after the same type of car right now...import, 4 cylinder, under $10,000 so expect to pay a premium if you are looking for something like that. 6 cylinder SUV`s can still be bought for a reasonable price if you know what to look for.
    Abbotsford Auto Detailing in Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Public dealer auctions have the worst of the worst cars. These are cars even slimy dealers don`t want. There are some good deals to be had at government fleet auctions, but your vehicle choices are more limited and the auctions occur once or twice a year with most cities/towns/etc.

The used car market is amazingly efficient. The best DEALS are on clean well maintained cars that may APPEAR to be more expensive but in the long run end up saving you much more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Public dealer auctions have the worst of the worst cars. These are cars even slimy dealers don`t want. There are some good deals to be had at government fleet auctions, but your vehicle choices are more limited and the auctions occur once or twice a year with most cities/towns/etc.

The used car market is amazingly efficient. The best DEALS are on clean well maintained cars that may APPEAR to be more expensive but in the long run end up saving you much more.

Appreciate the feedback everyone. What you say makes sense Dan...i`m surely not going to jump at anything, just trying to find out what all my options are at this point so i know where to look for the best deals. My buddy is a mechanic so Id probably have him go through anything id consider getting, and i know only some auctions offer a return policy...some dont offer it at all. Hoping for an 07` Tahoe for a good price but most of all low mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels
    Hoping for an 07` Tahoe for a good price but most of all low mileage.

If you are stuck on a particular vehicle, your best bet is to look for a distressed seller. Trying to find a particular vehicle at an auction is going to be hard and then when you do find it, you`ll become unreasonably attached to the vehicle and might get bid up. Working ebay might not be a bad idea either. Lots of people put up cars, get zero bids and then start to rethink things. That`s a golden opportunity for someone.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are stuck on a particular vehicle, your best bet is to look for a distressed seller...

Just be careful that the seller isn`t anxious to unload it for reasons that would make it a bad buy.

Working ebay might not be a bad idea either. Lots of people put up cars, get zero bids and then start to rethink things. That`s a golden opportunity for someone.

Having bought a few vehicles off ebay, I would *NEVER* go that route unless I was able to do/get a very thorough inspection. Never.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Just be careful that the seller isn`t anxious to unload it for reasons that would make it a bad buy.

Having bought a few vehicles off ebay, I would *NEVER* go that route unless I was able to do/get a very thorough inspection. Never.

Well, obviously you`d be silly to purchase any vehicle without doing a full pre-purchase inspection as well as getting all service records. I don`t think any situation warrants bypassing that step, even a family members car.

In regards to Ebay, all bids on cars are non-binding per Ebay policy. Bid away, win, then do the usual inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan- I`m just the kind of guy who won`t even *bid* unless I know what`s really what

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan- I`m just the kind of guy who won`t even *bid* unless I know what`s really what

I am too, but as many dealers that have refused sales to winning bidders has made me question that. IMO it is a huge investment of time (and money) to view the vehicle prior to bidding. I`m developing the mindset that if it doesn`t meet the description when I view it in person, then all bets are off.

I was going to document my search for an A4 Wagon to replace the wrecked S4 and the whole process got me so sour I just went and bought a brand new Vette. You`d think someone that has purchased 30+ cars for himself and even more for others would have a good grasp on the shadiness of used car dealers. I ran into some serious dirtbags that swore up and down a car was as clean as it could be, even lied about my specific questions. I wasted lots of time on that one and money for an independent inspection. Good thing I didn`t fly out and waste even more time.

The thing is there are so many people that will just fall over and accept whatever that these dirtbags stay in business. In the end, because I try to be as upfront and honest as I can, I expect others to do likewise, and that seems to be a very bad idea. Its really not a level playing field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan- Admittedly I enjoy the whole processs of going off and doing the inspections. I stay at nice/interesting places and have a good time whether I buy the vehicle or (more usually) not. But yeah, it does take up time and money.

You mentioned finding "distressed seller" and that perfectly describes the guy I got my Crown Vic from. When I initially said I was gonna pass (just Autopian vs. normal view of its condition) I thought he was gonna, uhm....die or something. He simply had to sell the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan- Admittedly I enjoy the whole processs of going off and doing the inspections. I stay at nice/interesting places and have a good time whether I buy the vehicle or (more usually) not. But yeah, it does take up time and money.

Yeah, the travel and inspection is fun, until you find out that the vehicle has been misrepresented. That ruins it for me. I realize that cars get normal wear and tear, but when I get lies in answers to direct questions (ie do all four tires match, are there any rusted panels) I want to flip out...lol. Generally franchised dealers are pretty good in this respect, its the used car lots that are absolute liars in most cases, to the point I refuse to deal with them now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the travel and inspection is fun, until you find out that the vehicle has been misrepresented. That ruins it for me..

I`m kinda funny about that; I usually *expect* the vehicle won`t pass muster, so it`s no biggie when that`s how it turns out. Though I did give the dealership guy some, uhm...commentary when I flew off to see a Magnum R/T and could see a too-deep RIDS on the driver`s door from ten feet away (this was after I`d asked a lot of very specific Qs before making the trip).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information