Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yesterday we decided to climb Lochnagar in the Cairngorms. Allie is currently enjoying a few weeks at home in America, so it was me and two good friends from uni who set off up the mountain at 11am. Weather forecast was good, though as you`ll see in this thread, the weather in the mountains can change on you in minutes!

Lochnagar is actually an arc, with one peak on the south west (called Cac CÃ`rn Beag), and at a height of 3789ft, this was the ultimate goal. You can see the arc of high cliffs from the car park, in the distance...

The walk starts by crossing a small stream and then heading into the mountains...

The peaty water made me think of whisky for some reason

The sun was shining as we started

The path up into Lochnagar is very well made and easy to follow...

In the distance, and closer up, there is a triangular peak called Meikle Pap...

I`m highlighting this as a landmark as it will feature in a few of the photos to give you an idea of scale of altitude and of distance in the walk.

Looking back, the path begins to climb and the views begin to get very nice

The path heads round and up to the north, and you veer right across a a flat region with lovely views to the north:

Beginning to climb again we head towards Meikle Pap:

Then, shrouded by mist at the top, Lochnagar comes into view:

I have a tendency to walk quite quickly, so while my friends caught up, I took off up Meikle Pap itself to get a better look at Lochnagar:

To start your ascent onto Lochnagar, there is a steep boulder ascent, ideally done on all fours for balance...

Climbing up, you can then see Meikle Pap looking backwards...

Gaining altitude, I found a spot and waited for my friends to catch up (again! ) and the weather set the light up beautifully for some shots of Lochnagar itself :

Peaks still shrouded in cloud...

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Post Thanks / Like
    Gaining more altitude, looking back at Meikle Pap gives the impression of it, and a rainbow just tops it off nicely

Climbing higher...

and then higher, we start to be skimming off the bottom of the cloud - almost feels like you are flying, being this close to the clouds...

Starting to head along the cliffs heading to the peak...

Looking down to the loch...

Rain coming across the mountains...

High winds and a little rain, but conditions were decent thus far...

But this is the Cairngorms, and weather will turn on you in minutes... and it did, minutes later we were shrouded in fog - so, which way now?!

Seriously though, this is a great example of why you should always carry a map, and a compass and know how to use them... getting a bearing, we found one of the cairns...

and then in the distance, Cac Carn Beag:

Weather then clearing again...

Climbing up to the peak, weather was against good views at this stage, but the aim was to conquer the peak:

Made it to the cairn

In this weather, the views were not great but I took the photos I could get, you can see the low cloud and the rain in the following pics:

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Post Thanks / Like
    One happy KG

and Peter and Tet, who kept me company for the walk

The weather was against us though, and the rain kicked in as you can see from the water on the lens!

The rain moving across the mountains...

A soaked KG

As said, the weather in the Cairngorms can turn on you, and this time it was in our favour - the clouds broke at the best time possible and the light was just amazing from the summit, couldn`t have asked for better really!

Rain clearing Lochnagar, complete with rainbow:

Looking back, you can see Meikle Pap that looks tiny and very low altitude from up here, despite looking like a mountain from the car park!

Post Thanks / Like
    A happier KG!

Falling over?!

Excuse the rather "proud of myself" posing...

More views from the summit:

With a long clear spell in sight, we took advantage and went over to the cliffs off the trail for some stunning vistas...

Lochnagar, with Meikle Pap on the right (low down):

The cliffs...

Lochnagar...

More cliffs...

And back to Lochnagar...

Then back to the cairn as the weather closed in...

Not many pics of this bit of the walk... As the weather closed in, visibility dropped right down and on came heavy rain... knowing from the map that we had to keep right on the path, we did, but then checking the compass the path was leading us on the wrong bearing - wrong path! Checking the map, landmarking to a stream, getting a bearing and checking for a safe route we processed off trail across to the correct path - impossible without a compass and a map, shows the importance of having them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Back on the right path, descending out of the cloud and we had a view back, the path leading out in front of us...

Crossing a stream (with help of a bridge!)...

Waterfall on the descent towards Loch Muick:

Loch Muick in the distance, with the path of the descent...

Looking back to the waterfall...

Continuing along the path down to the loch...

An isolated little tree...

Down to Loch Muick

Only a couple of miles left of the 12 mile walk, and it was now early evening and the light was just perfect for a relaxed stroll back to the car...

Another rainbow...

The light was just beautiful

Boathouse at the end of the loch...

And finally, looking back along Loch Muick around 830 in the evening

An awesome day, the changing weather made for a good challenge at times and also for some stunning views along the trip. Hope you enjoyed the pictures - if you like hiking, then this Lochnagar walk is really stunning. This link gives a description of the walk:

Lochnagar from Glen Muick (Walkhighlands)

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool pics, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it!

Thanks for sharing.

pc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave KG- You sure have some great spots for hiking!

And that was a good point about knowing how to find your way...something that I suspect is becoming a lost art these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Incredible shots.

Found a few wallpapers in there.

Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simply stunning!

A few years ago my friend and I spent a month in the west country of England and all through Wales travelling by bicycle and searching out many stone markers, Celtic crosses, burial places and ancient villages, etc. Our journey took us many places that few ever see. And we met so many kind people along the way, many of who took us for food and shelter. It was a wonderful experience. I would love to do the same type of thing in the future and work myself up north to Scotland and Ireland. Someday!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Dave KG- You sure have some great spots for hiking!

And that was a good point about knowing how to find your way...something that I suspect is becoming a lost art these days.

There`s nothing like being able to find your way about with a compass and a map... I sometimes carry GPS with me, but rarely use it - more for emergency use. The Cairngorms have got quite a reputation, this particular walk has claimed several lives in the past, basic navigational skills are a must in my opinion before setting off into the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    Incredible shots.

Found a few wallpapers in there.

Very nice.

Let me know if you want the high res. versions of any pics, these are all resized to quarter of the original size.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    Simply stunning!

A few years ago my friend and I spent a month in the west country of England and all through Wales travelling by bicycle and searching out many stone markers, Celtic crosses, burial places and ancient villages, etc. Our journey took us many places that few ever see. And we met so many kind people along the way, many of who took us for food and shelter. It was a wonderful experience. I would love to do the same type of thing in the future and work myself up north to Scotland and Ireland. Someday!

Well, if you are ever in Scotland, let us know - I`m always up for a good walk

Thread Information