Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Steak

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tenderize room temperature meat with a meat hammer

• Heat griddle pan as hot as you can (I use a Le Creuset one and heat it on high for at least 10 minutes).

• Pre-heat oven to 180.oF

• Rub (high smoke number) oil on both sides.

• Place steak onto griddle pan; I place the presentation side on diagonal, and then the same side other diagonal for 30 seconds each, then turn over, cook for approx 1 minute

• Season with salt and pepper

• Place in oven to complete cooking to how you like (depends entirely on thickness - somewhere between 2-4 minutes for rare, you can always sear on the pan for longer if you want to cook it quicker).

• Then take out of oven, and let rest for 5 minutes (covered in foil preferably)

• Deglaze griddle pan with a dash of brandy, add some double cream and whole peppercorns Simmer for a min or 2 and you have a nice sauce to go on top

• Cover with foil and allow to rest

Serve on medium hot plates

That’s my cooking method, what’s yours?
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do my steaks on my Weber charcoal grill year round in Michigan.

I get the prime steaks from COSTCO(NY Strip). Expensive, but we only have steak 3-4 times a year. I really prefer pot roast made with a round bone roast. Anyway, back on topic, let set at room temperature for 1 hour. Cook over very hot coals for 2-3 min per side, remove slather with butter, cover with foil, let rest five min, lightly salt and pepper, consume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sprinkle steaks with Lawrys Seasoning Salt, Garlic Salt, Lemon Pepper and then pour worchestershire sauce on and rub it into a paste, flip steaks and repeat on the other side. Don`t over salt.

Weber Charcoal grill with dry Hickory pieces thrown in to the coals just before putting the steaks on the grill. Sear both sides to seal in juices for about one minute per side. Put lid on grill with vent open to allow the smoke to escape and not smother the fire. Cook til medium rare and chow down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t believe we`re sharing cooking recipies. Oh well, post count +1:

My fave:

1.5lbs Skirt Steak (or Flat Iron) cut into 4 pieces

2 tsp chilli powder

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp sugar in the raw (or light brown)

1/2 tsp dired oregano

1/4 tsp ground pepper

1-1/2 kosher salt

Olive oil spray

1. Set oven rack 4" from broiler and preheat

2. Mix spices into a spice shaker (with large holes)

3. Coat steak with oil and cover with spices and pat down

4. Broil steaks for 5-8 minutes , steak should be releasing some clear juices but not all. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Steak will continue to cook in step 6!

5. When steak is rare to medium rare, remove from oven

6. Cover pan with foil and let sit for 10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    [COLOR="#0000CD"]

That’s my cooking method, what’s yours?

I let the meat get to room temperature, or at least close to it. Season with a bit `o salt `n pepper. Cook it in a pan, no oil needed. (It`s super expensive for salt, I think it was $20 a couple of years ago, but the pink Himalayan salt from Whole Foods is awesome- it lasts me a long time because I don`t use much, and it tastes very salty, much more than rock sea salt for example.)

I used to sear in a separate pan first, but if the meat has warmed up, I don`t find the effort to be necessary.

Charcoal is the best method probably, but I`m lazy in this regard.

I eat healthier now, which means portions aren`t quite as large, and fat intake is not as high- therefore I generally eat filet mignon now (which are also easier to cook, and require less rest time, as the cuts are smaller). I used to like all the nice cuts before, and Costco prime cuts are the wtg as mentioned.

Anyone ever hear of "reverse-searing"? A steak enthusiast told me that it`s the wtg. Check it out . . .

EDIT: I just remember now that my friend just recently told me he is going to try dry aging. I think* he said that he gets a pie pan or something, and sticks skewers through the sides of them- so that the steak can rest on these skewers, suspended in mid-air, so to speak . . . sounds interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ts 3:15. Been a long day. I am tired and hungry. Actually my stomach is GROWLING now after reading this. Damn you. Damn you all!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Boneless sirloin steak with a little marbling. The darker the meat, the more tender.

1. Tenderize meat with a piercing meat tenderizer. (basically a hand held utensil that has apps 10 small spikes that you push through the meat.

2. Marinate with A1 Chicago Steakhouse marinate in the fridge for at least 4hrs.

2b. Use emerils essence dry rub and put right onto grille.

3. Heat grill as hot as possible.

4. Sear all sides of the steak to seal in juices.

5. Cook on one side for appx. 5-7 minutes (average 1 to 1-1/2" thick steak).

6. Cook on the other side for the same amount ( this will get you med well)

7. Serve hot with Lemon Herb Butter (found recipe here. Lemon-Herb Butter Recipe | MyRecipes.com ). Tastes very good.

8. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think salt is a no no as a seasoning prior to cooking. If used before the meat is seared, it tends to draw out juices. Season with whatever is your taste, and save the salt for the table.

I am a fan of searing the meat to seal in the taste and juices, then using something like a chimichurri at the table. It is outstanding on Costco`s tenderloin.... my mouth is watering!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite cuts are ribeye or NY Strip. I only buy USDA Prime meat. The steaks should be firm and a light cherry red in color, be well marbled and the fat should be whitish-cream. I won`t buy two-toned steaks. The bone should be soft looking and reddish in color. I take my steaks out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before grilling. I pat them dry, brush them with EVOO and lightly season them.

I preheat the girl to about 550°. I sear the steaks for about two minutes a side to develop grill marks and seal in the natural juices. I lower the heat to around 350° to 400° for the remaining cooking time. After searing, I lightly brush again with EVOO. Depending on how you like your steaks you will need to cook for another 6-10 minutes turning halfway through. If you use a meat thermometer, rare would be 130°, m-r 140°, medium 150° and well done 160°. You can also determine the doneness by how firm the meat is as your experience grows,

As to seasoning, salt and pepper is all that is really needed for prime cuts of beef, but I prefer CharCrust Roasted Garlic Peppercorn.

I typically also grill some garlic buttered Crimini mushrooms and a couple of seasoned baked potatoes,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black99miata
    I think salt is a no no as a seasoning prior to cooking.

I`d love to experiment with that theory. I think salting way before cooking does do that but my steaks stay plenty juicy (and much more flavorful) if I salt just a bit before cooking. I haven`t experienced it making a huge difference. #1 is cooking by temp, everyone seems to overcook.

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black99miata
    I think salt is a no no as a seasoning prior to cooking. If used before the meat is seared, it tends to draw out juices. Season with whatever is your taste, and save the salt for the table.

I think the author of this page would disagree:

Steak Recipe: Turning Cheap "Choice" Steak into Gucci "Prime" Steak | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the steak get to room temperature and season with salt and pepper only. Heat the grill to 600 degrees (charcoal infared grill) and sear on each side 3-4 minutes. Only flip your steaks one time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usdm
    I think the author of this page would disagree:

Interesting. Always open to new ideas. Will have to try it next time I put a slab on the grill. Hmmmm... wonder what is for dinner tonight!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I guess I`m lazy when it comes to cooking steaks.

I will almost always get the Fillets from Costco though as their steaks rock!

Season with Montreal Steak Seasoning, Pre-heat grill to 400-450 and cook 6-7 minutes per side...may vary depending on thickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, that link is really funny!

I also like the quote in there on dry aged meat used in the most expensive restaurants, "looks like an 108 year old chain smokin` prune".

I quickly googled the reverse-sear and the second result was a forum post, of which I`ll copy/paste a little. Basically, it`s "reverse" because the sear is after the warming up of the steak, with the reasons why described below . . .

"So why the reverse sear? Three things. first, with a reverse sear, you dry out the surface of the steak completely. This is good. When the steak hits a hot pan, heat must be used to evaporate the moisture on the surface of the meat. if you dry out the steak, the surface starts to brown immediately. This helps with achieving a better sear on the outside, without heating up the steak too much in the middle. This in turn helps out with item number two. It reduces the nasty gray band you see sometimes in thick cut steaks, between the browned surface and the red interior. This stuff is dry, and tough etc. With the reverse sear, the minimum amount of time on the searing heat doesn`t heat up that area too much. Third, and quite important, is enzymes. This is stolen from cooks illustrated. Enzymes called cathespins help break down meat (i.e. dry and wet aging). Well when heated or warmed up, they`re like enzymes on steroids. They stop working at 120 or so though. So if you can keep them warm, for an extended period of time, you can mimic the effects of aging within the 1/2 hour or so it takes in the oven. With the reverse sear, you`re having these enzymes working in over drive for a longer period of time, far away from their death temp of 120 or lower. They even recommend going straight from fridge to oven, to give the enzymes even more time to work."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information