Thread: MSN Tool Bar

Post Thanks / Like

MSN Tool Bar

Anybody here have this add on to IE Explorer? How do you like it? Any bugs or problems you have or heard about? This tool bar will add tabbed browsing ability, among other things, to IE. I have the Fire Fox browser that also has tabbed browsing and really like it. So I`m thinking of installing the MSN Tool Bar to get the tabbed browsing in IE.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MSN Tool Bar

stay with firefox! ie sucks
    2002 Toyota Tundra TRD 4x4
    2000 Honda CRV Sport

All who wander are not lost...

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the MSN toolbar and use it on my IE, but I prefer Firefox. What I don`t like about the MSN toolbar is that it also attaches itself to the windows explorer for some odd reason.
    On a reconmendation from another member I tried the Avant browser.
    It`s really nice and when I opened it up the first time it seems to use the same cookies as IE. So it`s kinda like using IE without using IE.

JMHO
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve played with several toobar add ons (i.e. Yahoo Toolbar and the likes). They all seem to have their own flavor of spyware associated with them. They want to see what you look at and where you visit in order to make qualified recommendations. I can`t stand spyware of any sort. I haven`t specifically looked at the one mentioned and it may not be as I`ve described but that`s my take on them anyway. I dig FireFox and I like Opera but Opera doesn`t like Detail City.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs95
    I tried the MSN toolbar and use it on my IE, but I prefer Firefox. What I don`t like about the MSN toolbar is that it also attaches itself to the windows explorer for some odd reason.

"J"
    MSN attaches itself to Windows Explorer because it indexes everything on your computer. This lets you perform desktop searches as well as search the web. With the desk top search MSN Tool Bar will check in emails, PDF files, etc for the words you are searching for if you select desktop search. Uses up a lot of resources and apparently slows down IE, no way to permanently turn off indexing. I think I will pass on the MSN Tool Bar.

I use Firefox and love it. I added the Google Tool Bar to Firefox because I wanted the spellcheck it has. Firefox has over a thousand extensions available from it`s addons page but no spellcheck add on believe it or not. Apparently spell check is not a big demand for the developers of add ons to bother with. That`s crazy. I use it constantly on the forums. I have two spell checks for IE Explorer. I use The Google Tool Bar and IE Spell.

As for spy-ware and these toolbars. As far as the Google Bar some of the features require that Google know what pages you are visiting. Spellcheck, Auto link, Page Rank, and some of the search options need to do this. They are up front about it in the disclosure. No adverse effects so far for me or that I have heard about.

Post Thanks / Like

I dislike any of the "toolbar add-ons". I just don`t feel like I need any help or suggestions when using the internet. FWIW, I have tried the new IE 7.0 Beta, and it`s a lot like Firefox. I think I`ll stick with Firefox for now.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Thread Information