Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lottery!

Post Thanks / Like

Lottery!

One of my co-workers went into a local gas station today and bought one of the new $10 scratch off tickets. He won 2.5 million dollars! I probably will not be seeing him at work again. Or will I? The IRS will get 40% of that, so maybe he will be back. I would like to think that I would continue working. What would everyone else do? Do you think you could live off of 1 million without investing?
    Danny J. Whitehead

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Lottery!

Wow!!! Congratulations to him!!

I`m not sure if I could live out my days on "just" a cool million, but I`d sure like to give it a try!!! :naughty
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lottery!

No way! He would definately need to invest it in order to live free. You need money in order to make money!
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE 1
    One of my co-workers went into a local gas station today and bought one of the new $10 scratch off tickets. He won 2.5 million dollars!
    Great!

I probably will not be seeing him at work again. Or will I? The IRS will get 40% of that, so maybe he will be back.
    If it was me, only to say good-bye to friends.

I would like to think that I would continue working. What would everyone else do?
    Only until they had a replacement. (And it better not take too long to find one.)

Do you think you could live off of 1 million without investing?
    Not for as long as you might think.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

One of my co-workers went into a local gas station today and bought one of the new $10 scratch off tickets. He won 2.5 million dollars! I probably will not be seeing him at work again. Or will I? The IRS will get 40% of that, so maybe he will be back. I would like to think that I would continue working. What would everyone else do? Do you think you could live off of 1 million without investing?
    1 1/2 million would be nice to invest but I think you would still have to work. Pretty cool to actually know someone who won big bucks though is pretty cool. gotta get in it to win it they say. I never get in it.... LOL

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, it would depend on how old you are (or how long you plan to live. ), but I would have too many relatives` bills to pay off, cars to buy, etc. to live off it.
    But, on the other hand, I would be able to pick a job that may be just "supplemental" income, and do a job I like doing. Then, if I no longer liked it, I could go on to the next one I liked without worrying about keeping the bills paid.
    Yep. I`d like to try that sometime.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I would quit my job, but still work full time on the things I want to do.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

That reminds me of a kitchen magnet I saw once that said "financially I`m set for life... pending I die next month!" Sadly, a large percentage of people who win lotteries tend to be broke again in a very short time (not that your coworker will, just statistically) because of foolish investments and not realizing exactly how quickly money can go! Nonetheless it would still be nice to win something like that in any case, it`s always nicer to be broke tomorrow than broke today.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I could make it for quite a while. but then again with family coming first I most likely would stay working just to support my likes after the family gets what they want.

Congratulations to your co worker. I am glad for him!!
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

1.x million isnt all that big(I wish I can get 1/3rd of it :yes: ). Well anyways, I would use the money and invest it on a house or apt. Buy 2 or 3 unit and rent them out. I would keep my current job also. I would work like 20 hrs a week :stuart:

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would put it in the bank. I`d also do this......
    If I`m making "X" amount of money a month, I would add a few hundred to that, and live off that. Let the whats in the bank bring in some interest.. Maybe work part-time? Maybe start a business and hire employees and sit on my fat arse an watch more money come in. I would probably splurge at first, sell my house, and buy a nice 5 bedroom home on 10 acres.......

I would definatly NOT go out and buy an exotic car......10k suits......5k pair of shoes.....Just go on living normal with a few added bonuses here and there...
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in Missouri, our family friends lived across the street....their daughter, my age, won 10 Thousand after taxes on a scratch off. It was gone in less than a month. She bought rims and tires for her car. Stereo system with tvs in her car.....tons of clothes........just foolish stuff.

I seen a few months later, she was trying to resell a ton of stuff because she had no money left............
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

its to bad the irs takes 40% up here in the great white north lottery winnings are tax exempt which is nice. But if it were my winnings i would invest it. Start a retirnment account that way i dont have to worry and live life as noraml. It would just be nice to know that if i wanted i could quit my job till i found a new one.
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

They ain`t tax exempt up here, it`s just that winnings are advertised after taxes, I think. The Man always gets his $.40 cents (actually, 49 cents up here).
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

on your taxs theirs a section for winnigns and their not included in you income. you still have to claim them but there tax free. It was a big issue when my mom won like a grand nothing bg but she wasnt sure
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information