Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How old were you when you moved out?

I don`t know if it`s just me, but I see a lot of 20 sometings living at home with their parents. They have nice cars, spend a lot of money on mods, etc. and yet can`t or won`t get a place of thier own.

I left for college after my senior year of high school and didn`t go back home eexcept for summers. My wife was the same way. These days, I see kids (I`m 34, so younger than me is a kid) who have finsihed college and are working, yet still living at home.

How does that work even from a dating perspective. How can you justify living at home in even your mid-twenties? I would think the natural course of growing up would cause you to move out on your own.

So, how old were you when you left home and got a place of your own (or with roommates, etc.)?
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How old were you when you moved out?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    I don`t know if it`s just me, but I see a lot of 20 sometings living at home with their parents. They have nice cars, spend a lot of money on mods, etc. and yet can`t or won`t get a place of thier own.

I left for college after my senior year of high school and didn`t go back home eexcept for summers. My wife was the same way. These days, I see kids (I`m 34, so younger than me is a kid) who have finsihed college and are working, yet still living at home.

How does that work even from a dating perspective. How can you justify living at home in even your mid-twenties? I would think the natural course of growing up would cause you to move out on your own.

So, how old were you when you left home and got a place of your own (or with roommates, etc.)?
    Well I think times are changing and everything is getting so damn expensive that kids can`t go off on there own at 18 like they use to. Plus in my opinion the children of today had it very good at home ,and they will not be as fortunate to make the kind of money there parents have . On the average of each generation doing better than there parents I think it has ended . This is a very interesting topic and I just think our economy isn`t where it was 10-20 years ago and kids cant afford to move out. Being a father of 3 girls 21,19,16 I would like them to stay until they have some money put away so they can servive out in the real world. If there privacy and sex life has to suffer oh well.lol I am paying for college and have two in college at this time.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m 18 right now and I`m away at college. I love my parents, but after living away for a couple of months I couldn`t imagine myself living with them at this stage in my life, as a permanent set-up anyway. I was home over the winter break and by the end of it I couldn`t wait to go back to school. I just didn`t feel that I had a schedule that fit with the rest of the family all of the time.

As for dating, after living away from home, dating is comparatively impossible when you`re living with your parents.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I graduated from college in 1995 and moved out at the end of 1996. I was 23 when I moved out.

This enabled my wife and I to save up some money before we were married to buy our own house.
    `05 MDX / `04 6s 5-door

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my house and moved out when I was 23. My friends played sports and partied while in high school and I worked. They either rent crappy places or still live at home and I they are about 30 now. Half of them spend all of their money on their rides. I just can`t do that. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Graduated HS at 18 and have been "out" ever since. I lived in the dorms for a little over a year, then my gf and I got a place. We`ve been living together ever since.

glen: While I agree with you that the cost of living has gone up and the wages nowadays do not reflect that, Scott is pointing out something bigger. I know kids with $60k Escalades and M3`s sitting pretty at mommy and daddy`s estate. Maybe I`m biased, but I couldn`t see living with my parents again...I`m far passed that...but maybe college plays a big part in that?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Many factors enter into the "moving out" thing.
    My dad died when I was 18 and a senior in high school. I lived at home and tried to help my mother adapt to life alone. She didn`t even have a current drivers license at the time. My dad took care of everything for her. She had been a school teacher prior to their marriage and was able to go to summer school and requalify for teaching. She was able to handle things on her own by the time I was 19 and that was when I moved out.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I moved out when I went to college. At nineteen I got married. Went back to the parents home when I was almost 23 for six weeks. Divorce and unemployment were the reasons. Was glad that they were there. But somehow i felt that i was not much of a guy for going back. They never asked me to move out. once employed again it was a simple matter of packing the bag and leaving. Never went back except to visist.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m 21, and i`m graduating college this coming May, and plan on staying home with my parents for years to come. I guess my decision was somewhat influenced by the fact that I didn`t have the "college experience", instead I commute to school thats only 15 mins away from me. I plan on staying home for a couple years even after I graduate, and hopefully be employed. I just can`t justify spending an absurd amount of money each month for rent when I have a place to stay at my house. Hopefully once I`m settled in my career and have saved up enough $ I can get my own house.

It`s actually funny because my two best friend we`re arguing about this a couple weeks ago. One who is out in Penn State and can`t wait to get his own place and my cousin who is perfectly content staying home to save a little $ for a house.

Post Thanks / Like

I think finances play a role for those "mature" people living at home to save a few $$$$. yes there are those who mooch off thier parents but there are practical people like myself who lived with my parents until I was 26. It was a huge adjustment from college life but I did it in order to purchase a home as investment property. I sacrificed having a new car etc but the rewards later were well worth it. in terms of dating - it kind of sucked but I got wise to the system and scouted out others with thier own place!

My father never whould have permitted me living under his roof to spend a lot of $$$ on expensive cars etc... I blame a lot of daddy`s little boy/girl on the parents!

Post Thanks / Like

i moved out when i was 19 a little after my mom died into a little apartment that my sister and husbacn owned and had the time of my life, single, working, place of my own :naughty they divorced so i moved home then my dad died a couple of years later so i moved out again. my brother was alomst 30, still living at home at the time.found a little apartment, met my wife, got married and now luckily we own a home. it is tough to do things on your own, but when you look at the positives you learn and enjoy things more than living at home driving expensive cars and such.

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 18 and will move out this summer, I dont plan on moving back for the summers, so this is it for me. I know people who just stay at home and live off there parents so they can have all the toys. They should move out and grow up!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll be back over the summer simply because I`m not sure where else to go, don`t have the money to rent an apartment, it`s just easier. I`ll have a full-time job or an internship at that point though, and I won`t be mooching, just eating their food.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my own place at 17. Graduated when I was 17...got 2 full tome jobs. Worked M-Thur. 40 hours and Fri.-Sun. 40 hours.......had no life, but was loving the money. I had the car and mods I wanted and enough for another around towner car. When I got divorced, I moved back in with my parents for a month or two. It was awkward.......So I packed it up and left state......in a good way though....not because of my parents...LOL
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I turned 18 two months before I graduated H.S. I moved out two weeks after that. I didn`t just move out either. I moved to another time zone. lol I haven`t spent 2 nights at my parent`s house in 12 years and I don`t see really see it ever happening. Now my family lives on the other side of the country and that makes me even happier.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information