Thread: I`m in shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard through a friend that my TBSS was qualified for repaint and clear guard due to rock chipping on the doors and rockers. They gladly took it in and repainted all 4 doors and both rockers free of charge.

The bad news is no washing for 7 days and no wax or detail sprays for 30 DAYS!

What am I gonna do with myself on the weekends with nothing to do??

OH THE HUMANITY:bawling::furious::nervous2::hairpull!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder what the idea is behind that "no washing for 7 days" :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes no sense to me. You better hope your paint isn`t so soft if can`t even be washed? Maybe the shop realizes that they know nothing about swirl-free buffing and are tying to buy some time before you wash off all their fllers?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Makes no sense to me. You better hope your paint isn`t so soft if can`t even be washed? Maybe the shop realizes that they know nothing about swirl-free buffing and are tying to buy some time before you wash off all their fllers?

I wondered the same thing. He kinda gave me **** about not "brushing off the dust with my fingers" and about "scratching the paint." I told him I paid pretty close attention and that shouldn`t be a problem.

He even said it was baked on. I don`t get it. I`m just following the directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I looked. Its jacked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007TBSS
    I wondered the same thing. He kinda gave me **** about not "brushing off the dust with my fingers" and about "scratching the paint." I told him I paid pretty close attention and that shouldn`t be a problem.

He`s right about that though. The only time you should touch your paint is if you are washing, claying, polishing or sealing.

I think the main concern with the washing either taking it through a commercial tunnel wash or using a pressure sprayer on it. I don`t see how hand washing would cause a problem. Detail sprays shouldn`t either. What you don`t want to do is seal the paint before it is fully cured. Once you can leave your car overnight in the garage and no longer smell fresh paint, you are pretty much good to go with waxing.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    He`s right about that though. The only time you should touch your paint is if you are washing, claying, polishing or sealing.

I think the main concern with the washing either taking it through a commercial tunnel wash or using a pressure sprayer on it. I don`t see how hand washing would cause a problem. Detail sprays shouldn`t either. What you don`t want to do is seal the paint before it is fully cured. Once you can leave your car overnight in the garage and no longer smell fresh paint, you are pretty much good to go with waxing.

Does Z-6 count as a detail spray? That`s what I usually use after a wash.

And ONR has some protection doesn`t it? Do those count? I can stand the wait if I`m at least allowed some ONR and Z-6.:think2

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I looked. Its jacked up.

If they didn`t do an acceptable job then it just pretty much stops there IMO. Have them redo it properly and ask `em about this "wait period".

Post Thanks / Like
    No need for a wait period! If I have sanded paint before that was still a slight tacky. Not easy to do but shiit, there just filling you mind with bs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

unless it is waterborne paint. there is no out gassing with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by advs1
    unless it is waterborne paint. there is no out gassing with that.

Yes there is. There are still solvents in Waterborne paint.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal
    If I have sanded paint before that was still a slight tacky..

Why am I not surprised :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Does Z-6 count as a detail spray? That`s what I usually use after a wash.

And ONR has some protection doesn`t it? Do those count? I can stand the wait if I`m at least allowed some ONR and Z-6.:think2

I can`t see how using ONR and Z-6 would have any affect on the curing process. I used OCW on my 1 week old repaint (two doors and the rear fender) on my Maxima. Since OCW is water based, it is fine for repainted vehicles, although Dr. G recommended I wait 1 week before application. 3 months later and the repainted area appears to be at least as hard as the original Nissan paint.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information