Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Pricing in the real world.

While checking the availability of the closeout Meguiar`s products that had been discussed recently, (didn`t find much), I noticed several things concerning pricing strategies in the real world of business.
    1. The Advance Auto Parts store was 50 cents higher than O`reilley`s on the same fuel injection cleaner. Same brand, same size container.
    2. While at the grocery store. I noticed one of the grocers was $1 higher on the same exact brand and size of a can of coffee.
    3. The Kawasaki motorcycle shop was $12 higher than the Honda motorcycle shop on the same identical helmet.
    4. Then I found out that Wal*Mart had the same helmet for $6 less than either of the motorcycle shops.
    5. Two different movie theaters had the same movie, (I went to both to be sure. Yep, both even had the exact same ending), and one was $3 more. On top of that, they have the audacity to have an even different price for matinees than for evening performances. Totally unfair to the working man. Notice my empathy for the working man even though I`m retired.
    6. The restaurant where I had lunch even had two different menus. One for lunch and one for dinner. The dinner prices were almost twice as expensive.
    7. Then I noticed the gas station down the street has changed his price everyday this week, sometimes even 2 or 3 times the same day. It varied from $1.96 per gallon to $2.19 per gallon. It was from the same pump, but I really couldn`t tell if it was the same gas or not. Smelled the same though.

This really made me upset to think that all of these retailers had ganged up on the consumers and taken advantage of them.
    What ever happened to honesty of the retailer & consistent pricing.
    The nerve of these people is appalling! (Always wanted to use that word.)

Charles :whistling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pricing in the real world.

I know what you mean. I`ve noticed that some places change m/f prices daily. :yes:

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How about when you go to one of those Quick Lube oil places and they want to charge you 30 to 40$ for a air filter that you can go across the street and get for 10$ or less. Woo 35$ for labor to put a filter in. :nutkick

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    5. Two different movie theaters had the same movie, (I went to both to be sure. Yep, both even had the exact same ending), and one was $3 more. On top of that, they have the audacity to have an even different price for matinees than for evening performances. Totally unfair to the working man. Notice my empathy for the working man even though I`m retired.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer
    How about when you go to one of those Quick Lube oil places and they want to charge you 30 to 40$ for a air filter that you can go across the street and get for 10$ or less. Woo 35$ for labor to put a filter in. :nutkick
    Buy the air filter at Wal*Mart and they will put it in for free.
    Wiper blades and batteries as well.
    Or so their sign says.
    You know you just can`t trust these retailers. They`re always changing things to confuse the consumer.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the air filter at Wal*Mart and they will put it in for free.
    Wiper blades and batteries as well.
    Or so their sign says.
    You know you just can`t trust these retailers. They`re always changing things to confuse the consumer.

Charlesw,
    you have been a very busy man lately.
    Thanks for the consumer info i always enjoy reading your post.

joe

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my car last year I had two dealerships in a price war for the exact same car. The dealership that lost was the one with the car. The dealership that won actually managed to get the car off their lot and sold it to me from theirs. It was very interesting. However, it is a prime example of something being different prices depending on who you go to. It was the exact same car and they both were willing to adjust the price to get a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pit
    I know what you mean. I`ve noticed that some places change m/f prices daily. :yes:

yup.

BTW About the movie thing. I have noticed that where i go i pay 8.50$ & its the a top notch theater with 24 rooms(Muvico 24 Paradise) & awesome technology. & then i go to a lower class theater with cheap Surround sound & they charge me $9.50 :shuriken: But the trick is that the food is cheaper which means that top notch theater(muvico) will charge me 4.50$ for a large coke or 3.50 for a small one. The funny part is that the Muvico theater only has Sizes ( SMALL OR LARGE ) & i cant stand them trying to sell my chocolate or other things that i wish not to eat. But this may be that the theaters are barely making any money becasue Hollywood(paramount, disney etc..) demands so much to show their films. I usually end up spending $35 for my Gf and I. :bawling:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer

thanks for the consumer report charles.......whats funny is that most ppl (especailly women, but not all women... to be politically correct) don`t even know what an air filter is....they are after the ppl with no knowlede of cars and im sure they make tons of monney off them

Post Thanks / Like

Charles

For the life of me I can not remember the person who did the end story on 60 minutes....but reading you post for some reason his voice did the reading..(think it is Andy Rooney) and it has a ring of truth to it.. I belive as consumers we are laze and helpless to the price gouging as an individual. Even I go to a Auto zone and pay a little more for a product, Why some stores carry a product that no others do, what I save on one I lose on the other. like I stated before we as consumers have the power to make and break a business but most of us will sit back in our comfy reclining chairs and think CharlesW is doing a good job fighting this cause he don`t need my voice....wrong, wrong, wrong...I am sorry to say this price gouging will continue, The only words of encouragement I can offer anyone is:
    "Think smart, Shop wisely."
    Beercan

Post Thanks / Like

I`m thinking of getting a dedicated PDA for keeping track of prices. Especially in the case of food shopping. It will be interesting to do a quick price analysis right there on the spot in the store aisle.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re a commercial detailer, the examples that Charles sites might just be the inspiration for a price hike.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    I`m thinking of getting a dedicated PDA for keeping track of prices. Especially in the case of food shopping. It will be interesting to do a quick price analysis right there on the spot in the store aisle.
    My wife did a rough check on our normal grocery shopping at the 4 stores in our area.
    Not taking into account special promotions, it was quite surprising to me just how much difference there was.
    It turned out that two stores were very comparable, but consistenly more expensive and the other two stores were also comparable to each other, but consistenly lower than the first two mentioned. (Does that come out making any sense?)

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I remember once I was purchasing tires for one of my cars and I had recieved a price from a local tire shop (chain store) near my home and I was going to have them installed near were I work, when I went to drop the car off I confirmed the price and I was surprised to find that the price was higher near my work :wink: . When I asked why there was a difference, I was told that the people in this area could afford to pay more so they charge more, hmy: but he was good enough to match the price of the other store by me.

Just more proof that price is based upon what the market will bare.

On that note: Location,Location,Location

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

My wife did a rough check on our normal grocery shopping at the 4 stores in our area.
    Not taking into account special promotions, it was quite surprising to me just how much difference there was.
    Charles
    Charles
    ya Beat me to it.
    Bill D I think it`s time to get married....lol kj

My wife is one of those who can at just about any moment tell you what the price is for product X and in what store, Me one the other hand I need to do a spread sheet and 9 times out of 10 I leve the paper work at home....go figure.
    Beercan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information