Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well recently I just decided to start doing a bit of photography as a hobby. I live close to Lake Lanier in Georgia and they have some very nice scenery, which led me to my choice of photography as being one of my hobbies.

The problem is that I don`t know much at all about photography. I figured that I would learn a few of the programs after I take a few shots. Now, what do you guys think is a good beginners camera? I was possibly thinking about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi. Has anyone had any experience with this camera?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jle254
    Well recently I just decided to start doing a bit of photography as a hobby. I live close to Lake Lanier in Georgia and they have some very nice scenery, which led me to my choice of photography as being one of my hobbies.

The problem is that I don`t know much at all about photography. I figured that I would learn a few of the programs after I take a few shots. Now, what do you guys think is a good beginners camera? I was possibly thinking about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi. Has anyone had any experience with this camera?

I`d say that`s a good beginner`s choice. I started with the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, which is very similar. But if I`m not mistaken, the XSi has the LiveView function, correct? And slightly higher resolution and a higher resolution viewing screen. I think the Rebel series is a great beginner`s product line. But the key with photography is the glass. The lenses are so much more important than the body. Better to invest in some high quality lenses than to drop big $$ on a good body and have crappy lenses. Also, if you go with Canon, there`s an excellent forum that`s just as informational as this one. It`s "photography-on-the.net/forum)." Google that. Read the stickies, there are tons of links and articles that are perfect for newbs. Shoot, they have a ton of info for non-newbs.

Anyways, any of the Canon Digital Rebel series= good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Canon, Sony, Pentax and Nikon all make nice systems. Do you have any friends or family that are into photography? If so, buy into whatever system they have, you will be able to share lenses and other stuff.

As far as learning, if you like books, check out half.com, so many photography books that are dirt cheap. I really like the dummies series books that are geared towards a particular camera, ie Nikon D40/x for dummies. They present the material in a fun to learn manner vs the more dry "lantern" type books.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late reply guys. Just haven`t checked it often since after a few days of no response.

Hockeyplaya - Yeah I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it. I had a deal for a Nikon D50, but someone told me that the size of the camera and the size of a persons hands also matter. Something like Nikon can be a bit bulky which can cause some issues for hand comfort. Thanks for the forum site too. Definitely will be checking that out!

Yakky - I actually don`t mind checking out the books. I haven`t got the chance to check out camera specific books yet, but I have took a little peek at the Digital Photography for dummies. School has been a bit hectic so I haven`t had a chance to really go through the book thoroughly. I was also leaning toward a camera from Canon because of the reason you listed. My sister had a Canon Rebel, not sure which model, but her and her fiancé bought a good amount of lenses for the camera. I was thinking about just borrowing lenses like you suggested.

Do you guys mind me asking what type of camera ya`ll use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look at the Pentax K-x. Sometimes, the 18-55 + 55-300 kit goes for ~640$ at Amazon. Unlike most kit lenses, the 55-300 is very decent. Pretty much the smallest DSLR on the market. With a prime lense, it`s barely bigger than many point & shoot.

Pentax K-x Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Pentax has managed to squeeze what is, for this class of camera, an impressive feature set into the camera`s minuscule, rather inconspicuous, body and the image quality, especially in low light, is the best we have seen so far in the entry-level bracket of the DSLR market. To put some icing on the cake, all of this comes at a currently, compared to the closest rivals, very attractive price point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion! That might be my second option. I`m just leaning more towards a bit the Canon XTI since one of my family members have a few lens that I would be able to borrow

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late reply guys. Just haven`t checked it often since after a few days of no response.

Hockeyplaya - Yeah I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it. I had a deal for a Nikon D50, but someone told me that the size of the camera and the size of a persons hands also matter. Something like Nikon can be a bit bulky which can cause some issues for hand comfort. Thanks for the forum site too. Definitely will be checking that out!

Yakky - I actually don`t mind checking out the books. I haven`t got the chance to check out camera specific books yet, but I have took a little peek at the Digital Photography for dummies. School has been a bit hectic so I haven`t had a chance to really go through the book thoroughly. I was also leaning toward a camera from Canon because of the reason you listed. My sister had a Canon Rebel, not sure which model, but her and her fiancé bought a good amount of lenses for the camera. I was thinking about just borrowing lenses like you suggested.

I have two. Started with the Canon XTi, and the kit lens (18-55 f/4-5.6) and got a 55-250 f/4-5.6. Those are great for being on a budget. Then saved up and got a Canon 40d and 70-200 f/2.8 IS this past summer. The lens is the most important thing, although I love the 40d so much better than the Rebel because the ergonomics are so much better, and it`s bigger, so it fits in my hands better, and just feels a lot more solid/durable.
    ProImage Detailing

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

Scott Thompson

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Sony a200 because I had old Minolta glass, but even if it wasn`t for that, I`d probably still get it because of the in body image stabilization, it makes the lenses so much cheaper and I`d rather have the IS in the disposable part of the system (the body).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplaya13
    The lens is the most important thing

Nah, its the thing behind the viewfinder. Seriously, people get too wrapped up on image quality when their actual photography skill are what is lacking most. Feed your brain, take lots of pics, the rest will follow. Who cares if the picture is tack sharp when there is nothing interesting in the frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Nah, its the thing behind the viewfinder. Seriously, people get too wrapped up on image quality when their actual photography skill are what is lacking most. Feed your brain, take lots of pics, the rest will follow. Who cares if the picture is tack sharp when there is nothing interesting in the frame?

OK, yea this. Money can`t buy you skills. That`s why I recommended that forum. Tons of information. Best thing is just to take your camera everywhere and take pictures whenever you can.

I should have said that, when it comes to equipment, the lens is the most important thing, compared to the body/lighting/tripods/accessories/etc...
    ProImage Detailing

Scott Thompson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplaya13

I should have said that, when it comes to equipment, the lens is the most important thing, compared to the body/lighting/tripods/accessories/etc...

Agreed. And its the only thing that keeps decent resale value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely agree with you guys. I guess its just like everything else. Like having top notch detailing products and equipment doesn`t make a person a good detailer.

My plans are definitely to take a bunch of pictures and just eventually build experience. I had a family vacation soon, so I wanted to start there.

As for ergonomics, I was also leaning towards more of Canon since my hands aren`t massive. I tested out a few at Best Buy and some of the Nikon`s just seemed a bit bulky.

I also have a question on editing. The argument seems to never end. Do you guys edit on the pictures a lot, or do you guys just do some minor touch ups or none at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with a rebel xt and loved it. I dont think you can go wrong with Canon or Nikon products. i would reccomend reading "Understanding Exposure" By Peterson. It is very helpful at teaching you the basics so you aren`t just shooting in auto and not using the camera to its fullest potential.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get a refurbished Nikon D40 for under $400 bucks with a kit lens. More money will buy you something better, but for this business a D40 and decent lens are all you need. The D40 is very easy to learn too!

I tell people to buy Nikon because of the image quality and durability. I have shot Nikons forever; I am a newsman so I shoot in the heat, cold, rain, snow, drop them on occasions, etc and I have yet to have one fail me. If you want more info, shoot me a pm.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY946
    You can get a refurbished Nikon D40 for under $400 bucks with a kit lens. More money will buy you something better, but for this business a D40 and decent lens are all you need. The D40 is very easy to learn too!

I tell people to buy Nikon because of the image quality and durability. I have shot Nikons forever; I am a newsman so I shoot in the heat, cold, rain, snow, drop them on occasions, etc and I have yet to have one fail me. If you want more info, shoot me a pm.

HTH

Boooooooo. Canon>Nikon.

j/k. I`m just a Canon guy. I`d definitely go with either a Canon or Nikon. Easily the two most reliable brands on the market. Canon`s image quality and durability is on the same level as Nikon. Really it just comes down to personal preference. Both brands are outstanding.
    ProImage Detailing

Scott Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information