Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the next most abrasive 3M product before 39009 Swirl Mark Remover. I.E. What would you use if the 39009 would not remove the scrathes. I am thinking Finesse-It 2 but am unsure of the actual part number. Any help including the part number would be greatly appreachiated

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Finesse-It 2 is the next step above SMR. The part number for the FI2 is 39003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the fast reply. That is exactly the information that I needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the3M Car Care Products webpage. It might be useful to you as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find it, 3M Perfect It III Machine polish or something like that (3M confuses me sometimes, especially after a long day at school), is the next step up. Then Finesse It II Finishing Material.

But if you can get the FI II, use the FI II then follow up with 3M SMR.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I truly wish there were a list of ALL our favorite products, ranked by abrasiveness. The 3M web site is nice, but it makes this statement about finess-it II finishing compound: "producing a brilliant, deep, wet look shine. " Bu1lS#!T! It does not. It IS a great cleaner if you need something more aggressive than SMR, but I have found it leaves a hazy finish which i very easy to see on a black paint job, and must be followed by SMR and then a polish to get "a brilliant, deep, wet look shine. "

Post Thanks / Like
    I think i like PerfectIt III machine Glaze better than FinnesseIt II. I know that the Fi II should be more abrasive but i have gotten better results with the Machine glaze and no hazing ever on blacks

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by carguy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`> "producing a brilliant, deep, wet look shine. " Bu1lS#!T! It does not. It IS a great cleaner if you need something more aggressive than SMR, but I have found it leaves a hazy finish which i very easy to see on a black paint job, and must be followed by SMR and then a polish to get "a brilliant, deep, wet look shine. " [/b]</blockquote>
    I totally agree. This is all by hand but, the first time I used FI II it was on a black car and when I wiped it off and it had this haze that wouldn`t wipe off. I had a flippin` panic attack and went running home to momma, er Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze #7 which thankfully removed it and my heart rate returned to normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Short Cut, you may need to hit it again with a fine abrasive polish such as a SMR because the Show car Glaze has oils and fillers that mask problems rather than solve them. You will likely find the haze comes back after washing or a rainstorm. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guitarman [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Short Cut, you may need to hit it again with a fine abrasive polish such as a SMR [/b]</blockquote>
    Bullseye! That`s exactly what I ended up doing. I used a little FI II here and there then applied two coats of SMR for dark colors to the whole car. Then I just began to apply multiple coats of thinly spread wax. I guess that I`ve got 5 coats of 3M Paste Wax on the whole car with a couple of more coats on the hood and roof.

I think the results look great. The paint looks soft and deep. For the looks alone it would be worth it but it is also good to know that the wax will give the paint some real protection, particularly with winter coming on.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by carguy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>The 3M web site is nice, but it makes this statement about finess-it II finishing compound: "producing a brilliant, deep, wet look shine. " Bu1lS#!T! It does not. [/b]</blockquote>

LoL! I love some of the claims that a lot of auto care products make.

Post Thanks / Like

My new/temp detailing space updated with some new florecent fixtures/bulbs

I`m currently at a point with a car restoration where there is a lot of sanding and priming going on and it has made my shop a mess and it`s no longer working as a detailing space anymore. Because of this I`ve started working on cars in my other garage but it had poor lighting with only two incandescent fixtures overhead. I do have two halogen stands but I still felt that I needed more overhead lighting.

So last night I went up and picked up two 8` T12 HO fixtures to replace the incandescent ones with but I was only able to find 4100k/CRI 60 bulbs!

Having made the mistake of not researching lighting when I finished off my shop, I wanted to be sure to install the proper bulbs for my intended use this time around (detailing).

I checked out all the local big chain stores but none of them had what I wanted. After spending most the morning today searching online I actually found a local distributor that carried some Sylvania F96T12/DSN50/HO. 5000K 90CRI bulbs! :dance

These bad boys are not cheap either at almost $20 per bulb!

Anyway, I snapped a quick pic over my extended lunch break....they made a huge improvement and hopefully the higher CRI bulbs will help with my color accuracy in my pics too.

Rasky

Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice and bright. Nice bikes, that an R1 and an R6 or 2 R1s? I have a FZ1, love the yamaha bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice setup there Rasky! Weather been good enough to ride the bikes?

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking bikes there Chad, lighting looks great in there also.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information