Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Down 20 pounds since Christmas. Eating a bit better, a lot less snacking at night. I have a feeling the 2116 miles I`ve ridden so far this year have the most to do with the weight loss. 505 of that was last month, hoping for 600-700 this month.
    In this heat, your an animal, stay hydrated!
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfirehawk
    In this heat, your an animal, stay hydrated!

You`d be stunned at how much my fluid intake is. Rode 40.4 miles today, went through both 24 oz water bottles filled with Powerade Zero, plus refilled the both with water from the park and pretty much finished them off, not to mention what I drank out of the fountain before filling the bottles. Plus, I`ve been drinking nearly non-stop since finishing.

Rode 34.4 miles Sunday, 41.8 Monday and 40.4 today and have 416 for the month now. Should have no problem hitting 700 miles by the end of the month. Down 5 pounds this month too. Feels good, man.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    ScottWax- Do you ever "pre-over-hydrate" the day/night before? I tried it last month when I had to train in some hellishly hot conditions and I credit that for breezing through (yeah, I put away a lot of liquids during the training too).

Post Thanks / Like
    I drink enough pre-ride I usually have to hit the restroom after my first out and back at the park.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott - wow, that is an accomplishment! My gf has lost 20 lbs this year, too! She`s been doing a mix of training for a half marathon, eating way better (I cook for her 3-4 times per week, I grew up on healthy foods), cutting the sweet sodas/pops/cokes, and keeping the workouts interesting by attending various classes at the gym - she hated it all at first, but after being patient, the results have her looking and feeling best in her life. I have been sprint triathlon training, variations on p90x, and just getting out (I need to gain weight, not lose it though, too skinny). I used to HATE bike riding, but I got a new bike the other week WOW what a difference compared to the 15 year old metal mountain bike. So easy to put on 30-40 miles at a time now! Strongly considering biking to work once or twice a week, it`s only a 45 minute ride. Wish we had showers here.

The whole thing is a mixture of diet, exercise, and finding a way to convince yourself to enjoy it. There are no magic pills or formulas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I drink enough pre-ride I usually have to hit the restroom after my first out and back at the park.

LMAO, great job on the weight loss, i wish i had your Will Power my man. Do you find it to be better riding in the mornings before work or after at the end of the day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Yeah, until you start perspiring it all away you *do* have to, uhm...do the pitstops. In my case I went ages without one even though I was drinking water constantly, seemed to sweat it out as fast as I could drink it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by De WALTER
    LMAO, great job on the weight loss, i wish i had your Will Power my man. Do you find it to be better riding in the mornings before work or after at the end of the day?

I find it easier to work out in the late afternoon/early evening since I am already loosened up from the days activities.

When I did the Hot Rock ride last weekend, it was a little weird to be out there at 7:30 in the morning. Of course, getting there late and showing up as the other riders were leaving didn`t help either. By the time I got my gloves, shoes, helmet and camelback on and ready to go, I was already several minutes behind. I had to haul to hopefully catch a paceline since I had signed up for the 57 mile ride and really didn`t want to do it completely on my own. Anyway, despite the early hour and not being warmed up, I was hauling butt, around 21-23 mph and started reeling in riders who either started late like I did or were on the shorter rides. Unfortunately, I somehow missed the turn for the longer rides (signs with different dot colors) and ended up on the 13.1 mile course, which I realized when I got to the turnaround for short ride. :hairpull

It was then when I realized why it was such easy going on the way out, I had a tailwind. I knew that I was going downhill (gentle, rolling hills) most of the way, didn`t realize the wind was helping too. The whole way back was mostly uphill and into a 10-20 mph headwind. On the plus side, all the riding I did on spring days with 20-35 mph winds really paid off and it was easy to see on the way back who doesn`t ever ride in the wind-they blow up pretty bad after 5 minutes into the wind. Ended up doing the 13.1 miles in around 38-39 minutes, which is a 20 mph pace. I think the early start time kind of messed with me since I don`t think I was as awake as I would have been later in the day. I also think maybe the wind had knocked the signs down as I had a friend who rode in the race as well, signed up for the 57 mile ride and never saw the course change between the 43 and 57 mile rides and ended up on the 43 mile course. Spent the last 3 days making up for that short Saturday morning ride. :lol
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Scottwax- Yeah, until you start perspiring it all away you *do* have to, uhm...do the pitstops. In my case I went ages without one even though I was drinking water constantly, seemed to sweat it out as fast as I could drink it in.

I found out the hard way one time that I should always have two full bottles of liquid. I had made the turnaround and was headed back out for another lap (9.2 miles) and at the turn at the top end, I realized I had maybe a quarter of one bottle full and the other one was empty. Bonked really hard with about 3 miles to go on the way back. So miserable being so damn thirsty and wanting to get back to the other end and not being able to push at all.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been slacking a bit since I got back from my honeymoon. The wife and I started hitting the gym again this week and now that I`m not taking on anymore cars I should have plenty of time to hit the weights!

Rasky

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Yeah, you sure don`t want to run out at the wrong time. The instructors at the place I was training all had pretty big Camelbacks in addition to all the coolers full of bottled water. I made sure I had some extra bottles in the car in case they started running low.

RaskyR1- That`s cool that you and your wife are working out together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed there was a workout thread, so here we go

I am in a exercise study at the University of Kansas (where I currently go to school). I basically burn 400 calories a day, all cardio on the treadmill. At the beginning of the study I did a full body scan as well as a "max" exercise test, which sounds as terrible as it was. Also, every month I do what they call an "energy expenditure" test that basically measures the amount of calories I burn per minute. Essentially they do this because that number will change (increase) every month when you are getting into better shape.

I`m a big guy, 6`3" 268 (when I started) so i burn calories very efficiently so I work out at my 80% max heart rate for about 27 minutes (as of this month) between Heart Rate 160-170, and at my 70% about 36 minutes between 140-150 Heart rate.

Anyways, its going well, Ive been doing it for about 4 months now and have lost 12 pounds so far, but can completely feel the difference with the shape I am in. I should also note that this study wants you to maintain your normal diet, so I get to eat whatever i want, drink beer, its nice. I`m sure if I actually tried to eat "healthy" I would lose a lot more weight but thats not really my prerogative

Ahh and the most important part, I get paid $2000 dollars when I`m done (It`s a 10 month program)

Post Thanks / Like
    Lose weight, get paid. Nice gig.

581 for the month on my bike now, probably do a 42 mile ride late afternoon/early evening which will put me well past 600 miles. I need 3 more 42 mile rides this month after that to get close to 750 for the month, which will put me about 500 miles behind what I rode all last year. Ought to pass last years mileage by the end of September assuming we don`t get some weird rainy spell.

So nice wearing shirts I had bought last year expecting to have lost the weight then. Now I put them on and have all sorts of room in them. Going to have to buy all new jeans this fall.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- I always wondered how many calories a good bike ride burns, glad it`s doing the fat-loss thing for you.

S&S Detailing- That`s an interesting study you`re taking part in!

Noting that, yeah, you *are* a big guy!...what does it take for you to burn 400 calories on the treadmill (speed, time, how hard you perceive it to be)?

Are you/they working from actual max heart rate or "age-related" maximum ("ARM")? Since I`m so old (50) I don`t work off the ARM as it`d have me working way below what I consider a "real workout". At my age, that 170 bpm (what you do for your hard work and 100% of my ARM) is good and demanding, and what I do for my hard intervals.

I did a home-brewed version of determining my max hr (185) and it was *extremely* difficult; awfully half-@$$ed compared to what you went through, but I can`t imagine working any harder and maintaining consciousness as I was starting to "lose time" as it was. I shoot for 90-some% of that for my hard intervals, and do almost all my cardio as interval training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

S&S Detailing- That`s an interesting study you`re taking part in!

Noting that, yeah, you *are* a big guy!...what does it take for you to burn 400 calories on the treadmill (speed, time, how hard you perceive it to be)?

Are you/they working from actual max heart rate or "age-related" maximum ("ARM")? Since I`m so old (50) I don`t work off the ARM as it`d have me working way below what I consider a "real workout". At my age, that 170 bpm (what you do for your hard work and 100% of my ARM) is good and demanding, and what I do for my hard intervals.

I did a home-brewed version of determining my max hr (185) and it was *extremely* difficult; awfully half-@$$ed compared to what you went through, but I can`t imagine working any harder and maintaining consciousness as I was starting to "lose time" as it was. I shoot for 90-some% of that for my hard intervals, and do almost all my cardio as interval training.

For an 80% of max heart rate I go for 27 minutes at 160-170, on a treadmill that means about 4.5 Speed (which is about swift jogging for me) and 6.0 Incline.

For my 70% of max heart rate I go for 36 minutes at 140-150, on a treadmill that means about 4.2 speed (which is fast walking or light jogging) and 5.0 incline.

I would say its not incredibly difficult. When I started the study for the first 2 months or so I worked my way up to 400 calories, so i would basically burn 150 calories, then work up week after week till I achieved the 400 calorie mark, I assume they do this so they don`t have any health complications with participants who are out of shape.

Yes I am working from my actual Max heart rate which for me was 205. I looked at the charts though and thats exactly what I should be at (22). Basically the test was a treadmill and I got hooked up to electrodes all over and I walked at 3.5 speed I believe, then every 1.5 minutes it would increase in incline by .5. So needless to say after about 20 minutes I was dying.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information