Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Copy that, and yeah, toning things up there just by decreasing bodyfat can make a big diff in your appearance.

Actually I *do* do a little for my neck, but it`s so little I wouldn`t even consider it anything like excercise- I move my head around in all sorts of ways as part of my "getting out of bed and getting on with the day" routine. Wonder how I *did* get my neck bigger and more muscular It was when I was, uhm...48 I guess, and I can`t figure it out.
    I`m 51, and I can`t figure out how I did half the sh*t I did do!!!

My goals now are different from when I was 33. Back then, I was seriously into the bodybuilder look, size wise, and I had some decent definition. Now, I want to be slimmer and way more defined. I wouldn`t mind if I dropped to a size 40 in a suit, and to hell with the 42 Short Athletic Cut suits in my closet, that I hoped to eventually fit into. A size smaller wouldn`t be a bad thing at my height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Len_A
    I`m 51, and I can`t figure out how I did half the sh*t I did do!!!

I keep (and study) such meticulous records in my workout log that I usually know just what`s going on, but my neck growth really took me by surprise.

Speaking of being in our 50s, One thing that`s for sure is now that I`m older I leave my ego outside the weightroom and use the right weights to actually get results, and I`m a fanatic about good form.

My goals now are different from when I was 33....

Yeah, looking back I think I had the wrong mindset and I definitely had the wrong approach. I`m certain that I spent too much time exercising in ways that were less-than-optimal results wise.

My biggest goal-change has to be the emphasis on cardio that I`ve really ramped up in the last decade or so. Still haven`t quite figured out how to really hit it hard without overtraining and how to keep making significant progress, but I`m getting closer (the heart rate monitor has been helpful).

Now I`m not really all about being big and muscular, but rather just being in good athletic shape...and the size/etc. seems to be taking care of itself just fine.

I had some decent definition..

I think I overdid that too. There were times when I actually had to gain bodyfat for certain activities lest I be susceptible to injuries, and now that seems just goofy for somebody living a normal life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my new (to me) bike today. Bought it from a customer, they sold for $1500-1800 new, got it for $500, only has a couple thousand miles on it, new chain, new back tire and just tuned up.

2006 Fuji Roubaix Pro. Mix of 105/Ultegra, Alex wheels, carbon seat stays and fork, standard 53/39 crank, 54 cm frame, 18.6 pounds.

This is how I got it and rode 38 miles tonight (even though it was in the mid to upper 40s):

I don`t particularly like the tires on it, Panaracer Stradius Pros-kind of noisy. Already swapped my Bontrager R3 from my Cannondale onto the front wheel (rear tire in a Race X-Lite that is probably one hard stop away from hitting the threads) and am picking up another R3 for the rear tomorrow.

Also flipped the handlebar stem, it was set up for more upright riding, felt like a fricking sail tonight. When I got back home, I put both bikes side by side and the handlebars on my Cannondal were a good 3" lower. :noes: Flipped the stem, only have 1 small spacer underneath and that dropped the handlebars nearly as low as the Cannondale now.

The Alex ALX-220 wheels will probaby be the first thing to get upgraded. 824/1081 grams, pretty hefty. Might go with a pair of Neuvation R28 wheels, which are 640/880 and $300 for the pair. That`s a 380 gram difference, about .75 pounds or so.

The ride is a lot smoother than my Cannondale R400 Racing, handling is a bit more relaxed. Definitely feel the lower weight when I stand on it. The Fuji seat is pretty comfortable but I`ll swap on my Specialized Phenom 143 to see how they compare. Index shifting ****ing rocks.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Nice piece of machinery you have there! Gee, bikes sure have changed since my circa-`75 Fuji Special Road Racer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Nice piece of machinery you have there! Gee, bikes sure have changed since my circa-`75 Fuji Special Road Racer.

You ought to see how wild the time trial bikes are!
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Yeah, I can imagine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ought to be able to ride today, rain/drizzle yesterday, rain overnight, now partly sunny and warming up. Might have to just ride the paths along the main road instead of going into the park, I imagine it will be pretty wet from all the rain. Only 12 miles to go to break the 4500 mile mark, 24 to be 1200 miles up on last year.

No lifting for a couple weeks, tweaked my left shoulder. Still can do back/biceps but anything requiring pushing (like working shoulders or chest) is uncomfortable. Not so painful I can`t do it so I am guessing it isn`t anything serious but resting it would be best. Sucks because I`ve been making some pretty good gains lately.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Hope you`re able to get those miles in, I can tell you`re stoked to reach those numbers.

Any idea how you tweaked your shoulder? Like, was it something sudden or something delayed-onset?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a sexy looking bike. I picked up a mild dirt jumper framed bike to hooligan around on and get me interested in some riding to lose some weight. Geometry is all wrong, isn`t great for long moderate pedaling for weight loss but it got me out there. I just joined two biggest losers contests, one with friends and one on a local forum i frequent. Tried walking/jogging but it`s been little too cold out lately. I either have to join a gym or utilize the kinect with fitness game I just got. I really gotta get moving now lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Hope you`re able to get those miles in, I can tell you`re stoked to reach those numbers.

Any idea how you tweaked your shoulder? Like, was it something sudden or something delayed-onset?

Just felt a twing when I was benching. Really hasn`t gotten any worse and doesn`t seem to hinder my ability to put ever increasing amounts of weight up but it won`t heal (or at least not quickly) if I keep lifting.

Rode almost 36 miles tonight, so I am over my 4500 mile goal. Low 70s tomorrow and a relatively light workload. If I can get out early enough, I`m going to ride a half century. Now that I have the R3s front and back on the bike, it is a lot quieter. The Panaracer tires were almost as noisy as MTB tires. Noise usually equals drag too. Lowering the headset helped too, gets me in a more aero position in the wind.

schiddy-thanks! I really like it too.

Just be aware that road biking is an expensive addiction should you get into it. Even used, a good road bike is going to be $500-1000 and higher end bikes can still go for $2000+ on craigslist. You also need a helmet, pedals w/cleats, shoes to mount the cleats on, bike shorts (trust me, you NEED bike shorts!), small bike specific tool set, saddle bag, lights if you ride at night (front and rear), cycling gloves, extra tubes, etc. On the other hand, if you ride a lot, the cost per mile ends up being pretty cheap. Got 12,400 miles out of my used Cannondale my brother sold to me for $100, add in 6 pairs of back tires at $55 each, 2 front tires at $55 each, seat for $90, pedals/cleats for $120, shoes for $90, 10 tubes at $6 each, two wheel rebuilds for $260, helmet for $50 and my cost per mile has been 10 cents. Real bargain when you look at it that way. :up
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Decades ago, Accumulator sneezed on a car. The owner noticed that his car was imbued with something today this substance is called clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, High Intensity Interval Training is how I do all my cardio sessions (every 3 days, or 4 days if I`m really sore from Leg Day). First thing in the morning, done in twenty-some minutes. Been doing it like that for over 20 years now.

That article had some good stuff about doing bodyweight work. If everyone who`s "too busy to exercise" just did two minutes of burpies every other morning it`d be a great improvement over being sedentary.

Still wish I could find some better info on target heart rates though...might read some Clarence Bass on the subject, see what he has to say :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    hehe that`s pretty much what the Strength Cardio Strength Training book is about..i believe you might be able to get on to his site on how to gauge the heart rate method..i lent out my book but I feel like there was a mention of it...

You can also check on that site I posted there`s an article on VO2 levels--I think the author of that (VO2) article breaks it down.

I think quite simply, you take your heart rate after your warm up and that will be your base. When you hit a target bpm you cool down (rest) until you come back to the base. If/When I get my book back I`ll look into it for you xD
    Decades ago, Accumulator sneezed on a car. The owner noticed that his car was imbued with something today this substance is called clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the year with 4585 miles, December was actually a 500 mile month!
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax- Way to go :xyxthumbs

Got any new goal in mind for this year yet?

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information