Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Len_A
    Started my new physical fitness/weight loss program back in early July. Happy to report a drop of 34 pounds so far, with the additional improvement in strength and muscle definition. 34 more pounds to go, if this program doesn`t kill me first!!!

congrats on the weight loss, keep it up... :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    congrats on the weight loss, keep it up... :up
    Thanks!! I will. I wish I never got fat to begin with, but now I have an incentive - I have a closet full of size 42 Athletic Cut suits, and I want to fit in them again. Even if it kills me - figure if that happens, it`s less weight for the pall bearers to deal with! LOL!!

The short story on my weight loss is that at the beginning of July, our health insurance changed, and the cheapskates we`re with now wouldn`t pay for my Lipitor. Seems that they have a policy on name brand prescription drugs that dictates the insured first tries the cheapest generic drug in the same category, and then only if it doesn`t work, then you can go on the name brand. Pissed me off to a fair-thee-well. Had to go on generic Zocor. Turns out to have saved my life. Within ten days on the generic Zocor, six years of chronic, daily, misdiagnosed pain...just disappeared. I mean joint pain, muscle pain, stomach pain, sinus trouble, you name it. Of 27 individual side effects I found listed for Lipitor, I had 17 of them. All disappeared with ten days of being off Lipitor. My energy level went up, my attitude improved - seems that NOT being in pain all the time, not being on prescription pain meds, including Darvocet, all the time, and actually getting a good nights sleep, all those things actually, strangely enough, puts a person in a good mood. Go figure!!

By mid August, my workouts became more effective, and I was able to control my food cravings - something else I was unable to do while on Lipitor. So far, 34 pounds off. Let`s see now if I can make my goal of 170 by summertime!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!! I will. I wish I never got fat to begin with, but now I have an incentive - I have a closet full of size 42 Athletic Cut suits, and I want to fit in them again. Even if it kills me - figure if that happens, it`s less weight for the pall bearers to deal with! LOL!!

The short story on my weight loss is that at the beginning of July, our health insurance changed, and the cheapskates we`re with now wouldn`t pay for my Lipitor. Seems that they have a policy on name brand prescription drugs that dictates the insured first tries the cheapest generic drug in the same category, and then only if it doesn`t work, then you can go on the name brand. Pissed me off to a fair-thee-well. Had to go on generic Zocor. Turns out to have saved my life. Within ten days on the generic Zocor, six years of chronic, daily, misdiagnosed pain...just disappeared. I mean joint pain, muscle pain, stomach pain, sinus trouble, you name it. Of 27 individual side effects I found listed for Lipitor, I had 17 of them. All disappeared with ten days of being off Lipitor. My energy level went up, my attitude improved - seems that NOT being in pain all the time, not being on prescription pain meds, including Darvocet, all the time, and actually getting a good nights sleep, all those things actually, strangely enough, puts a person in a good mood. Go figure!!

By mid August, my workouts became more effective, and I was able to control my food cravings - something else I was unable to do while on Lipitor. So far, 34 pounds off. Let`s see now if I can make my goal of 170 by summertime!

i know what you mean. i wear size 30 waist in pants (medium in t-shirt) and will not buy new clothes and will force myself to lose the weight if i have to (i weigh in between 160-170 as it fluctuates). luckily i have a fast metabolism and stay pretty active with running and swimming. i find myself swimming more often these days due to the weather and do around 20-40 laps combined with different excercizes. keep up the good work and stay strong! :high5:

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, yeah...I shudder to think what it`d cost to replace my wardrobe and I don`t want to go there. And here I spent most of my life thinking I could *NEVER* get "too big and muscular"!

LenA- That`s great news, about how much better you`re doing on the Zocor!

That must be good motivation, having made it half-way to your goal. Another 34lbs. in five-six months oughta be doable, but it`ll probably be a little more challenging than the first 34lbs.

BigAl3- I bet it`s tricky to find decent stuff off-the-rack with that waistline of yours. You don`t even see many belts in 30-32 these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh, yeah...I shudder to think what it`d cost to replace my wardrobe and I don`t want to go there. And here I spent most of my life thinking I could *NEVER* get "too big and muscular"!

LenA- That`s great news, about how much better you`re doing on the Zocor!

That must be good motivation, having made it half-way to your goal. Another 34lbs. in five-six months oughta be doable, but it`ll probably be a little more challenging than the first 34lbs.

BigAl3- I bet it`s tricky to find decent stuff off-the-rack with that waistline of yours. You don`t even see many belts in 30-32 these days.
    It`s challenging, but I`m motivated. I hesitate to post my complete motivation, but let`s just say that for guys, it`s a classic motivator. LOL!!

BigAl3, it seems that in the last twelve years, as my weight went up, and I drifted away from my best weight, clothing for more athletically built guys became considerably harder to find. In my case, all my suits are in a "short" because I`m barely 5` 6", and it makes it even harder. Guess it`s true that the majority of the population got bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s challenging, but I`m motivated. I hesitate to post my complete motivation, but let`s just say that for guys, it`s a classic motivator. LOL!!

Heh heh, copy that on the motivation

BigAl3, it seems that in the last twelve years, as my weight went up, and I drifted away from my best weight, clothing for more athletically built guys became considerably harder to find. In my case, all my suits are in a "short" because I`m barely 5` 6", and it makes it even harder. Guess it`s true that the majority of the population got bigger.

Heh heh, "athletic cut" stuff never fits me because I`m apprently "too athletic" even though I`m *FAR* from some bodybuilder-type physique. Biggest hassle for me seems to be, !of all things!, finding comfortable sweatpants and such! NOT ENOUGH ROOM (for my glutes especially) and no I don`t have some weird lower body build. I swear, I go through more hassles over sweats and casual pants...have to buy the latter in loose fit and too-big waist sizes and then get `em altered (insert praise for Bill`s Khakis M1 cut paints here). Why are Champion/Russell/everybody else/etc. sweatpants sized for no-butt guys these days?!? Heh heh, sorry about the rant but this drives me nuts...last time something fit I bought six pairs and I shoulda bought a dozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, "athletic cut" stuff never fits me because I`m apprently "too athletic" even though I`m *FAR* from some bodybuilder-type physique. Biggest hassle for me seems to be, !of all things!, finding comfortable sweatpants and such! NOT ENOUGH ROOM (for my glutes especially) and no I don`t have some weird lower body build. I swear, I go through more hassles over sweats and casual pants...have to buy the latter in loose fit and too-big waist sizes and then get `em altered (insert praise for Bill`s Khakis M1 cut here). Why are Champion/Russell/everybody else/etc. sweatpants sized for no-butt guys these days?!? Heh heh, sorry about the rant but this drives me nuts...last time something fit I bought six pairs and I shoulda bought a dozen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Female, and lots younger than me (& yes, I`m married. Who cares. )

Heh heh, "athletic cut" stuff never fits me because I`m apprently "too athletic" even though I`m *FAR* from some bodybuilder-type physique. Biggest hassle for me seems to be, !of all things!, finding comfortable sweatpants and such! NOT ENOUGH ROOM (for my glutes especially) and no I don`t have some weird lower body build. I swear, I go through more hassles over sweats and casual pants...have to buy the latter in loose fit and too-big waist sizes and then get `em altered (insert praise for Bill`s Khakis M1 cut here). Why are Champion/Russell/everybody else/etc. sweatpants sized for no-butt guys these days?!? Heh heh, sorry about the rant but this drives me nuts...last time something fit I bought six pairs and I shoulda bought a dozen.
    Back in the day when I bought suits (before the advent of business casual, Athletic Cut suits came in two drops (difference between chest & waist measurements for the uninitiated) - 8" and 10". If you were tall, and had a twelve inch drop, you were SOL. It was MTM time (Made-To-Measure, also known as Custom Made). In a word -EXPENSIVE.

BUT...damn, if it didn`t make quite the impression on the ladies!! :cool1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day when I bought suits (before the advent of business casual, Athletic Cut suits came in two drops (difference between chest & waist measurements for the uninitiated) - 8" and 10". If you were tall, and had a twelve inch drop, you were SOL...

Yeah, back when I bought off-the-rack I couldn`t get the 10" drop I needed in the lines I was buying and the alterations never really satisfied me. MTM works out a lot better for me (better choice of fabrics and detail options like "surgeon`s cuffs" too), and I simply *LOVE* my shirtmaker (Moda Georgio in Phoenix). Now if I could just find casual stuff that doesn`t need all the alterations that double the garmets` price.

And yeah...seems like most women do have an eye for good men`s clothing that fits right. Back when I was teaching, even my students picked up on it.

Post Thanks / Like

pants i seem to do okay for the most part, it`s the shirts that throw me off. it`s hard to find shirts that fit "good". sometimes a medium in one brand may fit good, but then in another too baggy/long and then i have to resort to a small unless i wash the medium in very hot water and dry it on high to shrink it LOL...

Post Thanks / Like

it seems the shirts these days will be either to baggy/wide, or too long. for myself, they need to make shirts in between a small and medium like maybe "smadium" LOL...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, cut-and-sewn shirts (think "dress shirt style") are one thing...you can go by collar size and sleeve length and then just get the sides tapered if necessary. Work shirts in S/M/L/etc. take more altering (thus more money).

But get me going on knit/"polo" style shirts!! I have Mediums from the `80s that fit me fine, and more recent Larges from the same maker that are actually *smaller* except for longer sleeves! None ever fit me right except Willis and Geiger, and they went out of business years ago

I too need an in-between size, Large body with Medium sleeves and length wouldn`t be bad. I hate spending the money to get polos altered, and knit shirts don`t always hold up well after they`ve been cut up and resewn, but I will say that a "tailored" polo shirt can look mighty sharp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting back on-topic, all this talk of shirts have me wondering if anybody here works their neck :think:

I sometimes think I should, but it somehow grows a little (and looks/seems good and strong) just with what I`m doing. People actually ask me how I work it and are surprised when I say I don`t.

And NO WAY am I gonna risk having to replace all my Moda Georgio shirts again; last time I made a really productive change to my regimen it cost me a fortune and many of my favorite fabrics are no longer available.

So...anybody doing bridges, or working with a headstrap, or some such?

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting back on-topic, all this talk of shirts have me wondering if anybody here works their neck :think:

I sometimes think I should, but it somehow grows a little (and looks/seems good and strong) just with what I`m doing. People actually ask me how I work it and are surprised when I say I don`t.

And NO WAY am I gonna risk having to replace all my Moda Georgio shirts again; last time I made a really productive change to my regimen it cost me a fortune and many of my favorite fabrics are no longer available.

So...anybody doing bridges, or working with a headstrap, or some such?
    No, I do no neck exercises at all - I want my neck size t come down some more before I even consider it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I do no neck exercises at all - I want my neck size t come down some more before I even consider it.

Copy that, and yeah, toning things up there just by decreasing bodyfat can make a big diff in your appearance.

Actually I *do* do a little for my neck, but it`s so little I wouldn`t even consider it anything like excercise- I move my head around in all sorts of ways as part of my "getting out of bed and getting on with the day" routine. Wonder how I *did* get my neck bigger and more muscular It was when I was, uhm...48 I guess, and I can`t figure it out.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information