Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    with all that`s going on.. how does everyone feel about Obama`s progress, or lack of?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have more respect for the General than I do the President.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Thu Jun 24, 2:28 pm ET

The White House has been fond of citing turning points lately, most recently when describing the administration`s handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Now President Obama faces a turning point of his own — and not for the better.

A new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll finds Obama`s approval rating to be the lowest it`s been since he took office 18 months ago. According to the poll, only 45 percent approve of the job Obama is doing in the White House, compared with 48 percent who disapprove. And the numbers only get worse from there: Sixty-two percent of respondents believe the country is on the wrong track — the highest number recorded since just before Election Day in 2008 — and just one-third believe things are going to get better, a 7-point drop since a month ago and the lowest such number in the Obama presidency.

The fallout from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill appears to be the biggest drag on Obama`s numbers. Fifty percent disapprove of his handling of the crisis — including one in four Democrats. But generally, the poll finds increasing doubts about Obama as a leader. Just 49 percent of those polled give Obama positive ratings when asked if he has "strong leadership qualities" — that`s a decline of 8 points since January and nearly 20 points from when he first took office. Less than half rate him positively when asked if he`s "honest and straightforward." In January `09, 63 percent gave him positive marks for "being firm and decisive in decision-making." That number is now at 44 percent. Asked about his "ability to handle a crisis," only 40 percent rate him positively, an 11-point drop since January. You can read the full poll results here.

Obama`s biggest problem: He`s lost the middle — the so-called independent and moderate voters who are generally given the most credit for his win back in 2008. According to the poll, 52 percent of self-described independent voters disapprove of the job Obama is doing. He`s even losing parts of his base. The poll finds Obama with 17 percent disapproval among Democrats — the highest number of his presidency.

None of this is good news for Democrats up for re-election this fall. Beleaguered Democrats had been counting on Obama`s coattails to help them, as polls have also showed a historic trend away from the Democratic Party. According to this new poll, the GOP has a 2-point edge over Democrats in the generic congressional ballot — but among voters who describe themselves as most interested in the 2010 midterms, the GOP jumps to a 21-point lead over Democrats.

— Holly Bailey is a senior politics writer for Yahoo! News.

Post Thanks / Like
    He`s my president, I will respect that.

As far as progress? Hard to see anything yet.

I have a difficult time taking him serious every time he speaks. It would have more respect for him if he would say something to the affect of himself

"being the president, and therefor, taking responsibility." Too many times presidents blame the previous president for problems in the economy, military, etc, and President Obama is no exception.

When we watched his state of the union address in policy class, he mentioned the other party being at fault about a dozen times. Why not state the issue and a proposed solution, and not state the issue and whose fault it was? I feel less safe having a president who plays those cards. In the event of another attack, I don`t want to hear "If we were not involved in two wars started by the previous administration, we would have more resources to combat national, state, and local attacks."

It seems like pointing fingers and a reactive versus a proactive approach to problems has plagued this administration. As well as the nomination of criminals and crooks to high political positions. In my opinion, the argument that holds no water is the argument centering around a comparison of performance to others in similar positions, past or present. If the president screws something up, do not say "Bush did worse stuff, therefor, it neutralizes my mistake." Whether the president makes a mistake or deliberately acts out of disdain for another, it is still not right. There is right and wrong, not less right and less wrong.

With that said, the democrats are losing popularity and the republicans are picking up steam in the upcoming elections, such is the cycle when expectations are not met, and performance in their political position is lackluster. The polls will tell who wants change and what kind of change they want. If the current majority can appeal to the constituents, it will remain the majority, if it fails to appeal to those who appointed them, they will fail to be re-elected as an individual or as a party.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, let me start off by saying that I`m a Canadian citizen, and have been for my entire life sauve the first 2 years. I have spent quite some time in the USA, everywhere from Florida, to Phoenix, to Maui to Pittsburgh. I love America, and I`ve often seriously thought about going after a green card.

Now, one thing that I COMPLETELY hate is the American health care system. A system where you have to pay for health care insurance, and even then, depending on your policy, you might still be SOL. Some will disagree with me, but in my opinion, health care is a universal human right. It should not have "user fees" attached to it. A person should not have make a choice between their cancer medication and their mortgage, or putting food on the table for their family. I love Canada`s universal health care. Some will argue that yes, we pay more taxes (it depends actually, sometimes it`s pretty dead-even with the US), but I wouldn`t trade our universal health care for an extra $10K a year on my pay cheque, not a chance. Afterall, what good is money (or anything for that matter) if you`re dead.

As for Obama, remember that he`s got a lot to deal with. He was left with over half a trillion dollars of debt, a broken economy, a mortgage crisis, unemployment that skyrocketed, and of course 2 wars, one of which is a complete mess. The president could have been Obama, Biden, Palin, McCain, it doesn`t really matter, because a huge political, financial and military mess was left from 8 years of W holding office, and that doesn`t get cleaned up in 1.5 years. My opinion anyways, as an "outsider looking in".
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    WAS, if I can give you any advice as a fellow Canadian, it`s to avoid the health care thing. You`re going to have to trust me on this one.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t go there

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rt4x4
    I am still going to give im a chance, just glad that Bush is gone he left a mess

Don`t go there

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Hey, give the guy some time. Look what he had on his plate that was left by Bush. A war, mortgage crisis, banking meltdown. Bush has got to go down as the worst president in history.

Lets just stop blaming bush,His second term was not the best that`s for sure but obama has to start taking responsibility for what is going on now and stop using that sorry excuse that he was left all these problems.This obama and his cronies have put this country in such deep debt that we will never recover.And as far as a leader why is he not lifting the jones act so we can get other countries in here to help us with this oil spill. OH and to answer your question NO

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was interested in politics, I wouldn`t ask a car detailers forum about it. I`d ask the owners of the cars we detail. What does the guy/gal who owns a Panamera Turbo, Bugatti, Reventon, Ferrair California, etc think about the President`s performance? I`d like to hear their answers...Are they on here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wraith
    If I was interested in politics, I wouldn`t ask a car detailers forum about it. I`d ask the owners of the cars we detail. What does the guy/gal who owns a Panamera Turbo, Bugatti, Reventon, Ferrair California, etc think about the President`s performance? I`d like to hear their answers...Are they on here?

Yet to meet a customer who is an Obama fan.

I hope the general population wises up by 2012 and he`s a 1 termer.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

Sooner than that!! Vote smart in Nov. and get these idiots out of the house and senate

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    WAS, if I can give you any advice as a fellow Canadian, it`s to avoid the health care thing. You`re going to have to trust me on this one.

So I hear. Too damn late.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

Do I want to see Obama serve another term? No.

Do I think he will serve a second term? Yes.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nailzer
    Like getting Palin in as president? That should solve all our problems.

OMG , that ignorant beeotch and her tea baggers make me wanna puke !

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information