Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madmallard
    While you`re pointing out a factually correct observation about the number of seats changing being historic, excited even, we should not forget to contrast that even after this historic swing, the Republicans will still have fewer seats than the Democrats have had for 2 years after their electoral victory.

It looks like there will be about a 15 seat difference from this congressional majority compared to the last.

It also mimics the 1994 sweep because of this. In that case the Dems had 258 going in, and the Reps had 230 going out. In both cases, the power shift wasn`t big enough to swing the pendulum all-the-way back against the Dems as far as it as swung against Reps.

There were no last minute surprise wins or losses in general here.

So Reid being around still has a reason, as does the reason they held onto senate seats. its not surprising he`s still around; it woulda been more surprising if he wasn`t.

That`s quite the spin.

But if it gives you comfort to think that the Republicans didn`t get as many seats as what the Democrats had previously held, you go with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    `spin?` Thats the only response you can come up with? ;p

Obviously, my statement troubled you somehow. I`m guessing you probably read it as a defense of democrats, instead of how it was intended to be a caution for republicans.

It certainly doesn`t "give me comfort" with Reid around, but if you think there wasn`t a reason Reid is still in power because you yourself are "wonder(ing) what was going on in that election," I hope you decide to find out more about why he stayed in power or you won`t be able to do anything about it.

Me pointing out the difference in figures was meant to caution against merely celebrating without further looking into where there were losses. LOTS of union money was spent on Reid, along with other factors. And ignoring them is simply going to assure that he stays around. That same ignoring of those problems leads back to taking all the exclamations of `historic` and such as a false comfort in the face of the actual numbers.

tl;dr

Don`t let Reps get comfy or lazy or sloppy, they still are down overall in house votes compared to the previous Dems session to be thinking they got some kinda huge advantage now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madmallard
    `spin?` Thats the only response you can come up with? ;p

Obviously, my statement troubled you somehow. I`m guessing you probably read it as a defense of democrats, instead of how it was intended to be a caution for republicans.

It certainly doesn`t "give me comfort" with Reid around, but if you think there wasn`t a reason Reid is still in power because you yourself are "wonder(ing) what was going on in that election," I hope you decide to find out more about why he stayed in power or you won`t be able to do anything about it.

Me pointing out the difference in figures was meant to caution against merely celebrating without further looking into where there were losses. LOTS of union money was spent on Reid, along with other factors. And ignoring them is simply going to assure that he stays around. That same ignoring of those problems leads back to taking all the exclamations of `historic` and such as a false comfort in the face of the actual numbers.

tl;dr

Don`t let Reps get comfy or lazy or sloppy, they still are down overall in house votes compared to the previous Dems session to be thinking they got some kinda huge advantage now.

Thank you very much for this explanation. If you had put it in these terms earlier I would have understood the point that you were trying to make. Simply stating that the Republicans didn`t get as many seats as what the Dems once had really doesn`t make much of a point by itself.

And you raise good points about the Reid election. There are many facets to that one, including the issue that you correctly point out regarding the union money. I would add the fact that I don`t believe that Angle was a particularly good candidate either.

Anyway, I completely agree with you regarding not letting Repubs getting comfy, lazy, sloppy or losing sight of what got them elected in the first place!

Post Thanks / Like
    Obama`s done all right, but the economic mess isn`t "W`s" fault or Obama`s fault. Going back a decade or so, nobody forced us to take on risky mortgages, nobody forced up to charge up the credit cards, nobody forced us to stop saving. We did these things because we got greedy and now it`s payback. We were encouraged by bankers & politicians, but we did this and we need to undo this... and it`s starting. Folks have started to pay off credit cards & save money. That means less $$ to spend in the economy. If we accept that it`s our responsibility, then we can fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SATracker
    Obama`s done all right, but the economic mess isn`t "W`s" fault or Obama`s fault. Going back a decade or so, nobody forced us to take on risky mortgages, nobody forced up to charge up the credit cards, nobody forced us to stop saving. We did these things because we got greedy and now it`s payback. We were encouraged by bankers & politicians, but we did this and we need to undo this... and it`s starting. Folks have started to pay off credit cards & save money. That means less $$ to spend in the economy. If we accept that it`s our responsibility, then we can fix it.

What`s with all this "us" and "we" stuff?

A majority of American`s didn`t do the things that you mention. Most of us lived within our means. Most of us pay or mortgage on time and didn`t apply for a loan that we couldn`t afford. And let`s not forget the government pressure that was placed on lenders to make loans to low income family`s (who really couldn`t afford it) because "everyone deserves a house".

Post Thanks / Like
    It is pretty clear the American vote attention span is like 1 year. They just want something different. They are very fickle but then 45% of Americans always seem to vote either Republican or Democrat and the last 10% change their mind every election cycle.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    It is pretty clear the American vote attention span is like 1 year. They just want something different. They are very fickle but then 45% of Americans always seem to vote either Republican or Democrat and the last 10% change their mind every election cycle.

Let me guess: the vote doesn`t go your way so it means that the American voters attention span "is like 1 year"?

There is a reason that the Democrats had their a$$es handed to them. Just like there was a reason Obama and the Democrats won in 2006 and 2008. And it doesn`t have anything to do with the American voters attention span being "like a year".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    Let me guess: the vote doesn`t go your way so it means that the American voters attention span "is like 1 year"?

There is a reason that the Democrats had their a$$es handed to them. Just like there was a reason Obama and the Democrats won in 2006 and 2008. And it doesn`t have anything to do with the American voters attention span being "like a year".

I was referring to the Obama landslide win in the last cycle. Dems took many GOP house seats. Was it some fluke? They were given hope so they voted for something different. The economy still is in the dumps so they voted for something different. This is happened in many election cycles. Why did Bush 1 lose to Clinton? The GOP won in 1994 because it still was weak. In 2006 Clinton won again by a good margin. It was a supreme court decision that decided 2000. The economy faltered in 2002/3 so by 2006 the Dems start to gain traction then win big in the last cycle.

This is how it works. The GOP out campaigned the Dem`s as they had no strong message. You need good candidates, a good message (fear or hope), money, and then get the vote. This is how politics works regardless of your party alliance. When idiots get elected (applies to both parties), you learn to lose hope it is based upon sound judgment.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    I was referring to the Obama landslide win in the last cycle. Dems took many GOP house seats. Was it some fluke? They were given hope so they voted for something different. The economy still is in the dumps so they voted for something different. This is happened in many election cycles. Why did Bush 1 lose to Clinton? The GOP won in 1994 because it still was weak. In 2006 Clinton won again by a good margin. It was a supreme court decision that decided 2000. The economy faltered in 2002/3 so by 2006 the Dems start to gain traction then win big in the last cycle.

This is how it works. The GOP out campaigned the Dem`s as they had no strong message. You need good candidates, a good message (fear or hope), money, and then get the vote. This is how politics works regardless of your party alliance. When idiots get elected (applies to both parties), you learn to lose hope it is based upon sound judgment.

Well I agree with much of what you say here, but I don`t see that it has anything to do with your statement that "the American voters attention span is like one year".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
    Republicans (actually, more accurately and importantly CONSERVATIVES) had a great (historic!) night last night, but it was very depressing to see Reid win. He`s extremely unpopular, so I can`t help but wonder what was going on in that election.

From my layman`s point of view:

It`s like the Carnauba vs Sealants battle.

After a long time of using nubas, you`re kinda sick and tired of the same `ol results, and switch to the more cutting-edge sealants and coatings.

After a while, you kinda miss the old-school nubas and decide to revert to nubas.

Post Thanks / Like
    what did everyone think of his speech? empty promises or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    No promises........just continuing the same policies. Let`s "invest" instead of "we`ll spend money on......". Also, with spending at the highest percentage of GNP ever, "freezing" spending on a small percentage of the budget is a joke. Jim DeMint said it best: "When your car is heading toward the edge of a cliff, you need to put on the brakes....not set the cruise control."

Mike (was disappointed in the speech)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSOsr
    No promises........just continuing the same policies. Let`s "invest" instead of "we`ll spend money on......". Also, with spending at the highest percentage of GNP ever, "freezing" spending on a small percentage of the budget is a joke. Jim DeMint said it best: "When your car is heading toward the edge of a cliff, you need to put on the brakes....not set the cruise control."

Mike (was disappointed in the speech)

+1

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819

Thread Information