Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Preface: I have nothing but respect for Mike Phillips detailing ability and knowledge. I feel that he is one of the masters when it comes to that. I also feel that Meguiars products are very high quality and some even lead the industry, such as their 3000 unigrit sanding blocks.

From: #7 Safe For Fresh Paint? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_Caulfield04
    Client is having their front bumper painted and the only glaze I can find is #7. Is it safe for uncured paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Yes.

Just for you and everyone that reads this into the future...

Meguiar`s started out in the furniture polish industry and then as cars were introduced to society, we moved into the automotive world by creating products for the professional trade, that is the people that applied fresh paint onto car bodies both at the assembly line and as more people bought cars like Model T`s and then wrecked them, a new industry was started called the "Body Shop" and because our products were safe for fresh paint they were safe for use in body shops.

It wasn`t until 1973 that Meguiar`s introduced their first products for the "Consumer Market", consumers don`t apply fresh paint so their needs are different than the professional side of this industry.

Point being is a lot of people don`t understand that our roots, our history is a history of making body shop safe products for the professional side of the automotive industry and thats why we make products like #7 Show Car Glaze, they`re a part of our Professional Line that we`ve been making for over 100 years for use in fresh paint environments.

It`s easy if you`re young or new to detailing to read a bunch of stuff on other forums like,

Meguiar`s is pretty good for an OTC product

When that is so far from the bigger picture and just an indicator of the lack of knowledge by the people that make posts like this.

Currently Meguiar`s offers 5 pure polishes, (a pure polish means it`s a non-abrasive polish), and all of these including the one in our Consumer Line can be safely used on fresh paint.

M03 Machine Glaze

M05 New Car Glaze

M07 Show Car Glaze

Deep Crystal Polish

So with Meguiar`s you have not only plenty of options for whatever you come up against you can have confidence that the product you`re using have a time-proven history of success in the professional side of our industry not too mention generations of loyal, satisfied customers.

The flip-side of this coin is the majority of product for sale in the retail market and most of the offerings by what we call web-based wax companies, (you learn about these on forums), are not safe for fresh paint because these companies have not in the past and currently don`t manufacture a professional line of products that caters to the professional side of our industry. All they make is consumer products, that is they are limited to catering to consumers with cured paint.

There`s a huge difference in product abilities, (even company abilities), based upon extensive long-time industry success and earned expertise when it comes to us and them. :grin

I`m just not sure if that`s an appropriate response. Anyway, I`m sure everyone on Autopia will tell me if I`m wrong, `Jeez Holden, you`re a goofball.` No hard feelings if that`s the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike is correct about those glazes being fresh paint safe. Not sure what else you`re tying to read into it, but that`s the bottom line. I have been using Meg`s #5 because it is so easy to use. I don`t think any of them will last through a good wash or some rains, but they offer a little protection.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Mike is correct about those glazes being fresh paint safe. Not sure what else you`re tying to read into it, but that`s the bottom line. I have been using Meg`s #5 because it is so easy to use. I don`t think any of them will last through a good wash or some rains, but they offer a little protection.

No, it was more of the tangent I was referring to. I`m sorry I didn`t really state that, did I?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was a good response. :hm

Meguiar`s and 3M are the only companies I can think of that make `professional` products. Meaning for body shops. Menzerna might too I`m not sure.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueZero
    I thought it was a good response. :hm

Meguiar`s and 3M are the only companies I can think of that make `professional` products. Meaning for body shops. Menzerna might too I`m not sure.

Megs and 3M are the only ones I know of that have both a consumer and a body shop line. There are plenty of body shop brands that don`t get much press in the consumer industry (which includes Autopia, of course).
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueZero

Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    Megs and 3M are the only ones I know of that have both a consumer and a body shop line. There are plenty of body shop brands that don`t get much press in the consumer industry (which includes Autopia, of course).

Meg`s (and Menzerna) sure do make professional products marketed to body shops, but compared to their competitors, there market share is pretty low. Not saying that they`re bad products, just poorly marketed. Out of the 100`s of body shops I visit regularly, it`s a rare occasion to find a Meg`s product being used. Ironically, there`s also a Sales Rep locally too.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Meg`s (and Menzerna) sure do make professional products marketed to body shops, but compared to their competitors, there market share is pretty low. Not saying that they`re bad products, just poorly marketed. Out of the 100`s of body shops I visit regularly, it`s a rare occasion to find a Meg`s product being used. Ironically, there`s also a Sales Rep locally too.

I took a Meg`s class and I *think* I recall them stating that Meg`s products are used in 7 out of 10 body shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that`s what they like you to think.

Post Thanks / Like

What lines do you see being used most often? Production Car Care Products? Auto Magic? 3M?

Post Thanks / Like
    3M hands down in body shops. If I had to gauge, I`d say 95% of the shops use their stuff. I never see Production and Auto Magic in body shops, but they have a strong presence in dealership prep departments.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M hands down in body shops. If I had to gauge, I`d say 95% of the shops use their stuff. I never see Production and Auto Magic in body shops, but they have a strong presence in dealership prep departments.

What about autoglym and possibly the company that does that mysetrious "product x" ?

I`ve read here that autoglym is far more popular outside the US, however, the one freestanding detail supply store near me sells the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

MOL is owned and operated by a manufacturer; not only that but the moderators are long time employees. I`d expect there to be some level of bias, and in most cases a lot of it. I think it`s pretty clear even from recent threads at Autopia that at the moment there are a lot of posts being guided by allegiance (be it personal or financial) rather than by experience.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    MOL is owned and operated by a manufacturer; not only that but the moderators are long time employees. I`d expect there to be some level of bias, and in most cases a lot of it. I think it`s pretty clear even from recent threads at Autopia that at the moment there are a lot of posts being guided by allegiance (be it personal or financial) rather than by experience.

That`s true.

The thing is, though. I am a long-time Meguiars user. In fact, they were the first products I ever used. I enjoyed them. So, I post a thread about purchasing a new Meguiars product and they give me attitude? What kind of customer service is that?

They even go so far as to suggest I have "lack of knowledge", a reference I am almost certain refers to me.

Off Topic: See you at Bubble Tea, Picus. :LOLOL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information