Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have a delima. I finally got into NC State for my last 2yrs of college. Right now I live at home and detail within 10miles of my home. NC State is about 20 miles from my home and about 45min with traffic. My buddy and I were thinking about renting an apartment on campus so we wouldnt have to commute as much. Apartments that are decent in this area would be around $500 a month, or $250 a person.

I`m thinking it`s a stupid idea. It`s already $3000 a semester for college out of my savings, then put probably $2500 on top of that for a apartment, and another $500 for gas (I get free gas now). Thats $6000 out of my pocket. And it`s not like I wouldnt have to drive back home, I have to work back at home lol, so i`d STILL have to drive home to work. Only advantage is the college experience and they say that people that live on campus have a higher GPA. Not having to commute would be cool as well.

What do yall think?
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you don`t want to move to this new apartment. I think it`s completely up to you. It depends on your relationship with your parents, your financial situation, the amount of time spent commuting, and how much you want to live on your own.

The college experience is indeed a good and valuable one and you may miss out on it by staying home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C04
    It sounds like you don`t want to move to this new apartment. I think it`s completely up to you. It depends on your relationship with your parents, your financial situation, the amount of time spent commuting, and how much you want to live on your own.

The college experience is indeed a good and valuable one and you may miss out on it by staying home.

No, I really do want to move to an apartment. BUT, I love being around my paretns, I get free gas at my house, I work at my house anyway. It just seems like that me wanting to live out somewhere else would be a dumb decision.
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My sons are moving into their own apartment tomorrow. Both are significantly closer to school and their jobs and the gas savings alone will nearly cover the rent.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I transferred to a different school for my last two years and commuted ( currently finishing up my last summer class). It takes about an hour to get there and back (45 miles a day). For me, it was worth staying home to save cash, even with gas being expensive and the extra car maintenance.

For the "college experience", I do not drink, so that really limited the activities I chose to participate in college. I was involved (as the Treasurer) with the Finance club on campus which was fun, a good learning experience, and made my resume look a bit better. Its up to you how involved you want to be, but I would only spend time doing meaningful stuff. Just screwing around on or nearcampus, in my opinion, is a waste of time as a junior/senior.

Like you, I get along great with my parents, so staying home is no problem. I would recommend to do your best to front load your classes for the week, so you can have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to operate your detailing business. In regards to the notion that people who live on or near campus get a higher GPA, I dunno about that. The flip side of being on or near campus is the plethora of distractions.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Living near my classes made a *huge* difference for me, I improved my attendance by like a factor of 5 when I moved on campus.

However, you`re older than I was then (19), and the effect it has on grades is largely dependant on how disciplined you are IMHO. Look at Kenney above for the other side of the coin.

For my money? I`d do it 100%. I`m not sure if you`re enough like me to warrant it though.

What are you going to college for?
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    My school is about 100 miles away from home so I`m forced to move close. Right now I`m renting room off campus for $480 a month and that includes furniture, cable, utilities, and appliances. The complex is intended for college students so I have two housemates and we share the common areas. Sure beats living in a dorm.

My tuition is pretty much covered by Florida Bright Futures and Pell Grant so I have to take out loans to pay for the cost of living here. If I lived 20 miles from this place I would commute. Get to eat my mom`s cooking and don`t have to pay for anything more than gas. But I`ve heard some people complain about the pain of commuting though. I`m not a partier so I could care less about the "college experience". And the only reason I can think of that between the correlation between GPA and living on campus is if you frequently use the tutoring services that some schools offer to their residents and if you frequently study with people in your dorm. Other than that I think it all depends on the efforts you put into your studying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Financial aspects aside, there is nothing like your first apartment. You`ll have a roommate so it`s a little different than it was for me but man that first apartment is awesome. Nothing like being able to walk around naked or sit on the couch in your underwear and watch TV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh i`ve got that now, my parents have a guest house/office off to the side of my house that I stay in, so it`s exactly like an apartment, only at home and with no drunk girls running around lol
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by accordmaniac
    My school is about 100 miles away from home so I`m forced to move close. Right now I`m renting room off campus for $480 a month and that includes furniture, cable, utilities, and appliances. The complex is intended for college students so I have two housemates and we share the common areas. Sure beats living in a dorm.

My tuition is pretty much covered by Florida Bright Futures and Pell Grant so I have to take out loans to pay for the cost of living here. If I lived 20 miles from this place I would commute. Get to eat my mom`s cooking and don`t have to pay for anything more than gas. But I`ve heard some people complain about the pain of commuting though. I`m not a partier so I could care less about the "college experience". And the only reason I can think of that between the correlation between GPA and living on campus is if you frequently use the tutoring services that some schools offer to their residents and if you frequently study with people in your dorm. Other than that I think it all depends on the efforts you put into your studying.

Do you go to USF?
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    Do you go to USF?

Yes, I have since sophmore year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting into State, I graduated in 04 with a BS in Agronomy. Whenever you decide, I can tell you were not to go. I lived in Dominion Walnut Ridge my last two years and really liked it. However I had two roommates so it was alot cheaper. Stay away from Gorman Crossings, the place wasn`t very insulated and we had a power bill of ~$180 in the winter. I`d honestly do anything to avoid Capital Blvd!

Post Thanks / Like
    make the move...its worth it to experience all that college has to offer...

dont think of it as a waste of money, but rather an experience you wouldnt have by staying at home...besides, being on your own is all that much better, no matter how well you and your parents get along. I know for a fact I had more fun and still get all my business and personal things done without being home (already graduated college) and i cannot believe I waited so long to move out...(i mean there was a reason, 20K into an offroad race truck gone to waste...long story)

Thread Information