Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

HRE wheels question

with my new car and all im ready to get some wheels for it. the wheels it has look nice but i want better. currently the car is riding on 17 inches and im looking to get something along the lines of 18-19 inch HRE`s.

main concern is suspension. i do not wanna alter the suspension but i do not want my car to look like it needs it. my car comes with optional 18-19 inch wheels upgrade soo im thinking i would not need to drop the suspension.

i just keep thinking the car would look like its riding high.

any suggestions, comments, idea would really help. currently the wheels im after are these

http://store.yahoo.com/wheelsperform...m/hre545r.html

http://store1.yimg.com/I/wheelsperfo..._1850_96573559

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HRE wheels question

I would put money on it that they do not change the suspension per the wheel/tire combo on the car. I would try and find out what size tire they use when they put 18`s and 19s on the car. chances are pretty good that you will feel the road a bit more with the larger wheels mainly due to the fact that your going to have less rubber! Also if you go with something other than what is stock to the car (IE: car comes with a 17in rim, and a tire that is 245/45/17) When you change to an 18 or a 19 in wheel. A. make sure your over all tire hight is the same the wheel and tire for the 17`s other wise you speedometer will be off and need to get the car either re-programed or a chip installed to correct this!
    There is only one boss.THE CUSTOMER! And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down,simply by spending his money somewhere else!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Focusedonsound
    I would put money on it that they do not change the suspension per the wheel/tire combo on the car. I would try and find out what size tire they use when they put 18`s and 19s on the car. chances are pretty good that you will feel the road a bit more with the larger wheels mainly due to the fact that your going to have less rubber! Also if you go with something other than what is stock to the car (IE: car comes with a 17in rim, and a tire that is 245/45/17) When you change to an 18 or a 19 in wheel. A. make sure your over all tire hight is the same the wheel and tire for the 17`s other wise you speedometer will be off and need to get the car either re-programed or a chip installed to correct this!
    That is correct the side wall becomes thinner so the "shock" usually that is absorbed is reduced by the smaller/thinner side walls. Also you should find out how wide the rimes are available in. I don`t like the tall rims that look like pizza cuters coming at you.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like

Save your money and get iForged...

I spoke to an HRE owner and he wasn`t happy with the quality of the wheels. He found them weak and the finish was not amazing.

iForged are notably cheaper and just as good looking.

Post Thanks / Like

oh man soo much to look for.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they going on the Mini or Bimmer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSRstilez
    Save your money and get iForged...

I spoke to an HRE owner and he wasn`t happy with the quality of the wheels. He found them weak and the finish was not amazing.

iForged are notably cheaper and just as good looking.
    Trust me Sean...I love my HRE`s. They are some of the nicest looking wheels around. The quality is fantastic. I do love Iforged but I get some many nice compliments on my HRE`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice choice in wheels ,but very pricey. You really need to figure that if your car cost $xxxx amount of dollars, that you should not exceed 10% of that. As for the size of the rims and tires if you can go 19`s, I would. But 18 is probably more common. The point here is long term, how hard will it be to find 19" tires compared to 18" and what`s the price difference? As for the ride there won`t be much difference. Keep in mind that with price comes quality. The cheaper the rims the heavier it is, this will affect ride and performance.

Here is a photo of my car with 22" forged rims and 255/30/22 tires. The car is dropped 1.6" and the ride is great. The rims in a cast for this set up would weigh approx. 70+ pounds, mine weigh 58lbs per wheel and tire.

What you want to do is easy just stay with in reason and realize that there will be a difference. Think long trem, if I have a problem how hard is it to find tires and at what cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatchance
    Nice choice in wheels ,but very pricey. You really need to figure that if your car cost $xxxx amount of dollars, that you should not exceed 10% of that. As for the size of the rims and tires if you can go 19`s, I would. But 18 is probably more common. The point here is long term, how hard will it be to find 19" tires compared to 18" and what`s the price difference? As for the ride there won`t be much difference. Keep in mind that with price comes quality. The cheaper the rims the heavier it is, this will affect ride and performance.

Here is a photo of my car with 22" forged rims and 255/30/22 tires. The car is dropped 1.6" and the ride is great. The rims in a cast for this set up would weigh approx. 70+ pounds, mine weigh 58lbs per wheel and tire.

What you want to do is easy just stay with in reason and realize that there will be a difference. Think long trem, if I have a problem how hard is it to find tires and at what cost.

good point.

Post Thanks / Like

jr1113

I saw the post of your ride and it`s all that. For what it`s worth and I`m speaking from experience do your homework. Then make a choice based on what you want to accomplish, look, style and budget.. Trust me I talked to a ton of wheel manufactures and looked at more rims than I can remember before making a choice.

I am very selective and wanted to be different than every other car that looks like mine. It`s easy to copy, be different. These rims were made for me and are one off`s.

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good god! One-offs? that must have cost QUITE a bit.
    Did you upgrade your brakes and rotors to accomodate the extra rotational mass created by so much more rim?

Post Thanks / Like

well i guess i wont be getting wheels anytime soon. atleast HRE`s for that matter. the guy i was gonna get them from, (someone whos car i detail on a 2 month basis) is a wholesaler for HRE`s. He promised to give me the same price he would get them for. well the price is a little over what i expected (understatement). i planned to spend a good 3500-4000 on the wheels and tires. the price he gave me is 6500. and the wheels would need to be made and shipped so it would take 30-45 days. THIS BLOWS.

the iforged wheels (which i found out the owner of iforge wheels is actually an ex owner of HRE wheels, that split up.) came out to 4800. im planning on saving up a little bit more and just buying the iforge wheels. HREs are rediculously expensive but i guess i should have seen that coming.

Post Thanks / Like

jr1113

Check out this site http://dforged.com/ the guy will probably quote you a little high, but I know that he works with the price. I`ve seen these rims and the quality is good. Keep in mind that your are looking high end wheels. A forged wheel is far superior than a cast.

LastDetail
    The rims weigh less than the stock 18"`s I replaced. There is no added or unsprung weight with these wheels.

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatchance
    jr1113

LastDetail
    The rims weigh less than the stock 18"`s I replaced. There is no added or unsprung weight with these wheels.
    oh, I had always thought (as it was explained to me) is that a larger diameter rim creates a much stronger pull when rotating due to the fact that the outer edge spins much faster than the stock rim, thereby creating mass traveling at a greater speed. When you are on the freeway and hit the brakes does it still slow down like it did when it was on the stock rollers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LastDetail
    oh, I had always thought (as it was explained to me) is that a larger diameter rim creates a much stronger pull when rotating due to the fact that the outer edge spins much faster than the stock rim, thereby creating mass traveling at a greater speed.
    If any car goes with bigger rims and smaller tires but it equal the same circumfrance as a smaller rim with taller tires nothing changes. It`s kinda like going from 225/55/16 to 275/60/15 cirumfrance size they are about the same. Unfortunatly most don`t understand this and go bigger with what ever tire they can fit on them. That`s when rotational mass becomes a factor and the engine/tranny are working harder to spin the bigger circumfrance, this also throws your speedo off if not corrected so you may be going faster/slower than it reads. So if your speedo is reading faster then your putting more miles on your gauges then you really are (lowering the value of your car).
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information