Post Thanks / Like
    I was proudly looking at my organized wall of car care products and the plastic containers full of MF`s, when I realized that I am involved in a "hobby" that no one else around me cares in the slightest about.

My wife likes when the interior is clutter free and vacuumed, thats about it.

None of my friends or neighbors "care" about their vehicles, aside from the rare washing.

Even the stores that I shop in have no quality supplies, just cleaner waxes and cheap MF`s, that includes Autozone, AdvanceAuto, O`reilly`s and Napa, so everything is bought on-line.

It`s strange that I have such a passion for something that no one else cares about.

I live in a nice neighborhood (houses go for $250k, and thats in Alabama). The yards are immaculate and the cars are nice (Volvos, BMW`s, Honda`s). So its not like I`m living in the slums.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Heck, if I recieved the smallest bit of praise from anyone, I`d detail their car for free!!

Sorry for the psuedo-rant, I just find it very strange I had to come to an internet website to find people like me......you know, normal people :dance later, Blain

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if there weren`t people you didn`t care for their car. Then there would be no for us detailers now would there...

I try to give my customers the best way to minimize the chance of damage. But honestly, if they do it, they do it and come back to me; nothing we can do about that.:tribe:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRODEY1

It`s strange that I have such a passion for something that no one else cares about.

Until recently, I was one of those that did not care. The problem is they are not enlightened about the correct process and products. Until I found places Autopia and a few others, I had been frustrated with car care (wash, wax) over the years. I had spent time but never really saw any decent wow results plus what I was doing was making things worse (poor washing techniques) so I just did not get interested. Why invest time with no results. Now, I had the time but many families do not with all the kids, etc so you have to factor that in. Once you learn the correct process, it does not take that much time and always like the results so it is more addicting.

Now if you do get them inquiring on the Internet, there is plenty of product bigots that can confuse people just starting out You see this happen where someone says "I have some Meguiars Cleaner/Wax or NXT and want to know if ...." and they get bombarded by people telling them that stuff is crap and they need all sorts of non-OTC stuff that would cost $50 to $100.

The fact is that there are good OTC products at the auto parts stores and Walmarts, etc. especially the microfiber towels, wash mitts, brushes, etc. The idea would be to steer them to the better ones. With the right process, they can give great results in their eyes.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    BRODEY!.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Heck, if I recieved the smallest bit of praise from anyone, I`d detail their car for free!!
    My situation is identical to yours except my wife and one of my sisters appreciate the work I do. I did drive 3 hours one way to detail my sister`s vehicle for free. :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Brodey. There are many, many people here that will feel your pain.

Sludge you should check out the NC get together @ Brandon1`s place. Check in the Southeast regional forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there have been many threads like this. First, you should be happy that you have found friends who share your interest.

People have different priorities, skill sets, and aptitudes, and take pride in different things. Just as some people may take extreme pride in their lawn care, their personal cleanliness or appearance, their dress, some people do not. Some people engage in fitness activities, are particular about their diet, etc. (Some people do all of those things, lol). For some people, these are just pleasurable activities. For others, being able to acheive certain things at all, or without affecting other areas of their life, demonstrates a skill or skill levels that others don`t have.

At the end of the day, for most people a car is at worst an appliance, at best a status symbol. As long as the sheetmetal doesn`t look unkempt (accident damage), most people don`t care or are happy to run the car through the scratch n` swirl periodically (some more than others).

For most people here, the ability to keep their car clean and shiny represents a skill set and knowledge which most people don`t have, and therefore is a source of pride.

Post Thanks / Like
    My entire family and girlfriend see me pull out the hose and they say "here he goes again, allll day " But what others think doesn`t matter, it`s these things that make us different. I always loved and cared for cars since I was young. My cousin was head mechanic at a lamborghini/import dealership. When I was young he would pick me up and take me for spins in the sickest of cars. I even have an HPI racer 2, that would be a radio controlled 1/10 scale gas powered car. I love it. I used to set up track in the parking lots with fire hose and cones and race it on the weekends. I set it up for top speed once and radar read it at 72-76MPH. These things keep me busy, occupy my mind, keep me sane, I love to do them. It`s how I like to spend my spare time. While most people I know watch television. I rather read popular science, or do something constructive.

Thread Information