Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Im about ready to take the plunge on a Dell Vostro, and I have the option of staying with Windows XP or going with the new Vista OS............

Any thoughts? I run Quickbooks off of XP, would I need to upgrade my QB if I went with Vista? Pros? Cons?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    My philosophy on this is stick with what you have (less hassle), unless you have a whole bunch of time to spare to mess with a new OS. Nothing like having to invest in a new OS and then having to also buy a bunch more new software to replace the old.

My general rule of thumb is to wait until after the first SP release then it would be OK to do an upgrade. (but most don`t even bother).

Unless you are the type that has to have the latest and greatest, now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both XP Home and Vista Home Premium on different computers. I recommend XP all the way. I had no choice of operating systems on one which is why I have Vista.

Vista takes at least 2 gigs of Ram to perform just adequately whereas the same Ram turns XP into a smokin` speed machine. Then there are the compatibility issues with Vista, I just don`t care for it. There is also a learning curve because it`s different than other Windows systems. New names for operations that have been the same forever takes a while to get used to. The first time you want to remove a program good luck on figuring out how to do it......the language and icons have changed requiring research for something that took mere seconds to accomplish with XP or ANY previous system.

Were it not for the hassle and expense I would convert the one to XP but I`ll live with it for now. Just one man`s opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there are some die hard M$ fanboys out there but I will say it anyway, Vista is going to wind up being the biggest flop Microsoft has ever had! One indicator is the continued ease of access to XP configured machines from just about every PC vendor out there.

I could probably link to an endless number of articles but here is one I saw this morning...

Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista - Computerworld UK - The Voice of IT Management

Personally I would stay with XP unless you have some compelling reason to go with Vista.

Post Thanks / Like
    Patrick...I am in the same boat as you and will be pulling the trigger on a Vostro laptop this week. I am sticking with XP. I have no desire to deal with Vista.

What are you getting???
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patrick stick with windows XP and don`t spend the money and time for now.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would email Intuit and ask them if your version of Quickbooks will work with Vista. Are they giving you an uprade disk to Vista if you get XP pre-installed?

I would always rather have the newer OS as it`s less of a hassle down the road when newer apps and programs are made for and optimized for the newer OS. I personally do not like to do OS upgrades as it doesn`t seem to be as good as starting with a fresh, clean full install.

QB isn`t the cheapest program so if there is a compatibility issue I can understand why someone would want to stay with XP. But at the same time, if somehow this can all be tax write-offs since it`s used for your business, would the cost of having to buy a new version of QB be an issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO XP has been the most stable OS MS has released. XP SP2 is rock solid.

I wouldn`t go the Vista route yet. I`d stick with what is known to work well and so far that`s been XP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    Patrick...I am in the same boat as you and will be pulling the trigger on a Vostro laptop this week. I am sticking with XP. I have no desire to deal with Vista.

What are you getting???

Hmm, got curious and went over to Dell.com to check out the Vostro. I was going to buy an Inspiron 1520 this week but the Vostro looks to be a much better value. I may have to take a better look.

Thanks

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I think MS really stumbled with Vista. It will be a very hard sell for businesses to upgrade and giving Apple a chance to turn more converts.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    XP Patrick...Vista Headaches suck.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    I think MS really stumbled with Vista. It will be a very hard sell for businesses to upgrade and giving Apple a chance to turn more converts.

Most businesses don`t upgrade for awhile anyway. I wouldn`t be surprised if many of them are still using Windows 2000. The problem with Vista though is the fact that they will probably need to upgrade their equipment just to run it so that will be quite an expensive upgrade, and one that`s not a necessity as XP is more than capable of handling their needs. Plus, many businesses don`t buy their equipment, they`re often leased so if they deploy Vista, it will be in small numbers with the newer, more powerful machines they lease. I don`t ever see Apple stealing any of the business market away from M$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    Most businesses don`t upgrade for awhile anyway. I wouldn`t be surprised if many of them are still using Windows 2000. The problem with Vista though is the fact that they will probably need to upgrade their equipment just to run it so that will be quite an expensive upgrade, and one that`s not a necessity as XP is more than capable of handling their needs. Plus, many businesses don`t buy their equipment, they`re often leased so if they deploy Vista, it will be in small numbers with the newer, more powerful machines they lease. I don`t ever see Apple stealing any of the business market away from M$.

I think you are minimizing the issue here. This isn`t simply an issue of businesses hesitating to put forth the expense to upgrade, there are real concerns about the stability of Vista. Take a look at the link I posted, it is about a survey of IT professionals and it seems to contradict your statement...

The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT professionals are worried about Vista and that 44% have considered non-Windows operating systems, such as Linux and Macintosh, to avoid the Microsoft migration.

"Clearly many companies are serious about this alternative, with 9% of those saying they have considered non-Windows operating systems already in the process of switching and a further 25% expecting to switch within the next year," the report "Windows Vista Adoption and Alternatives" reads.

Macintosh leads the pack of Vista alternatives, with support from 28% of respondents. About a quarter said they would opt for Red Hat Linux, with SUSE Linux and Ubuntu each garnering 18% of the vote. Another 9% cited other Linux operating systems and 4% were unsure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT

Apple is making some inroads and also so is Linux. The business issue is if you try to force businesses to Vista this gives them an opportunity to look at alternatives. I agree that Apple will not likely make significant inroads into corp America but Linux has a good chance as people demand open standards. Microsoft forces consumers to some extend by the preload licensing if they do a hardware upgrade.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Rob G
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a new HP Pavillion Vista home premium machine because an older XP-based machine of mine stopped booting. I was able to convert over to the new machine with only a little difficulty (thankfully it wasn`t a failed HD). One trick is to temporarily turn off the new user-specific security features. This makes moving the files and programs from the old main HD to the new one much easier since I didn`t have to deal with all the Vista permissions. All the programs I`ve needed so far have converted over easily - MS Office 2003, Adobe Lightroom, Monaco Optix XR, Paint Shop Pro X2, Firefox, Thunderbird etc. Only Zone Alarm didn`t have a vista-compatible version of ZAPro so I`m using the Vista firewall for now.

So far the Vista machine has been great - much faster, few conversion issues, quick to install new hardware/drivers (I added a second HD, new video card, fancier keyboard). I haven`t regretted the conversion but I`ve only used the computer for 8 hours. I suspect the faster performance is due mostly to hardware upgrades (better bus, faster processor, faster memory, faster disk). I have a couple more programs to load or fix and then should be essentially good to go from where I left off of the old machine.

Based on my experience so far, I would recommend making the move to Vista for home computers. Ask me again in 3-4 weeks and we`ll see if that opinion holds.

RG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information