102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon

42 41.18%
  • Canon

60 58.82%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon vs. Canon

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured since everyone uses cameras here. I`m sure I can get some expert advice on which brand to look further into. I am most likely just be doing still shots outdoors.

I prefer nothing crazy amount of money.

Does anyone know of a good forum for camera selling/learning?

I am pretty new to it all. I would like to learn and get a nice camera body with a lens to start with and ease my way up to a nicer lens.

So lets hear everyones input.

Thanks guys

- Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    This poll`s going to open up a can o worms! Canon vs Nikon is this topic to stay away from. :soscared:

But since you asked, I have a Canon 30D and a bunch of lenses. The lens that I use for detailing is a 28mm fixed lens that gives me great clarity and is very crisp. As far as which lens to get, it all depends what kind of photography you will be doing. Long, short, fast, sports, kids, portraits, etc. Each will have its recommended lenses and uses. If you can find a 30D kit, (around the $1300 range) it will come with the 28-135mm lens which I like and have as well. But, my all-around choice for lens is the 17-85mm IS (image stabilization). If the 30D is not in budget, start off with the Rebel XTI, 10MP and use the kit lens (18-55mm) to start. The good thing with DSLRs is that you can always upgrade body/lens and keep the other.

As far as websites, the best all-around site (like autopia.org) is popphoto.com. They have printed magazines, forums, digital articles, and excellent how-to articles. Check it out and let us know what you decide. When buying, B&H photo, eBay (just buy from 100% positive feedback sellers), Adorama, and NewEgg are my choices. Stay away from Broadway and Beach (not sure on the exact name), very poor CS and known for bait & switch tactics (they`ll sell you a cheap camera, but only if you agree to purchase an expensive kit, then they won`t let you return it).

Post Thanks / Like
    DPReview.com is a great site for digital camera reviews, buying guides, forums, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Thats what a discussion forum is about though. Open a can of worms. :bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tod071
    This poll`s going to open up a can o worms! Canon vs Nikon is this topic to stay away from. :soscared:

But since you asked, I have a Canon 30D and a bunch of lenses. The lens that I use for detailing is a 28mm fixed lens that gives me great clarity and is very crisp. As far as which lens to get, it all depends what kind of photography you will be doing. Long, short, fast, sports, kids, portraits, etc. Each will have its recommended lenses and uses. If you can find a 30D kit, (around the $1300 range) it will come with the 28-135mm lens which I like and have as well. But, my all-around choice for lens is the 17-85mm IS (image stabilization). If the 30D is not in budget, start off with the Rebel XTI, 10MP and use the kit lens (18-55mm) to start. The good thing with DSLRs is that you can always upgrade body/lens and keep the other.

As far as websites, the best all-around site (like autopia.org) is popphoto.com. They have printed magazines, forums, digital articles, and excellent how-to articles. Check it out and let us know what you decide. When buying, B&H photo, eBay (just buy from 100% positive feedback sellers), Adorama, and NewEgg are my choices. Stay away from Broadway and Beach (not sure on the exact name), very poor CS and known for bait & switch tactics (they`ll sell you a cheap camera, but only if you agree to purchase an expensive kit, then they won`t let you return it).

Yeah i was thinking about buying from newegg.com. That`s where I get ALL my computer parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stiff, you make no mention of what`s important to you as you go thru your selection process. How you plan to use the camera? Low light? Sports events? Autopian portraits of your work? Price constraints? Etc...

There`s no such thing as a "perfect" camera. Yes, there are plenty of camera forums and review sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your not apposed to gettting used the 30d are going for under 800 right now use on

Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

which is a canon forum...

fredmiranda.com: Specialized in digital cameras, photoshop actions, and digital darkroom

is also another good one...

The rebel line has a lot of flaws the controls are just not helpful....

the 30d was great on my trip to africa but i sold it. It just wasn`t what i wanted

now I use a 1d mark II wow that is what i want...

BTW the 5d is nice also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also check out dcresource.com and steves-digicams.com. Those two, along with the previously mentioned dpreview.com have great reviews as well as great forums where you can really see from owners of the cameras how well they work and hold up. Really you need to decide some features you want and go from there. Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Fuji are all good cameras that have certain strengths from my research. If you are interested in photography at all, go with a modestly priced prosumer camera ($250-$350). They aren`t as good as the dslr`s but have pretty much all the features and can still take great pictures. I think you`ll find that really the only downfall with the prosumer cameras is that they suffer a little bit when it comes to low light photography. But they are much better than the average point and shoot anyway. I`ve been very happy with my Panasonic that I bought a year ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Canon is going to win this poll. Its simply a matter of better marketing and more products

Post Thanks / Like
    Canon gets my vote

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t vote since I don`t have much camera experience, but from what I`ve read it seems like Canon is the better brand for the cheaper cameras, but Nikon seems to get the nod for dslr`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Stiff, you make no mention of what`s important to you as you go thru your selection process. How you plan to use the camera? Low light? Sports events? Autopian portraits of your work? Price constraints? Etc...

There`s no such thing as a "perfect" camera. Yes, there are plenty of camera forums and review sites.

I figured since everyone uses cameras here. I`m sure I can get some expert advice on which brand to look further into. I am most likely just be doing still shots outdoors.

Yeah I did. Mainly it`ll be used for outdoor still shots. So nothing that needs to be be quick. The light will vary between dark and light shots. Price constraint would probably be about $500-$700 on the camera BODY and then I am willing to throw a few $200-$300 on a new lens. I would rather buy a KIT first and get use to that lens and then spend the money on a better lens.

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are planning on a DSLR than IMHO Canon is the way to go. If P&S is youre venture than its a wide open market. I have the Canon XTI and its a perfect camera for me. Sure you can spend thousands like holland patrick but im sure thats not a good solution for you.

Check out a few of my pics at here.. I just started that site so content is low at the moment.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sQuashed
    If you are planning on a DSLR than IMHO Canon is the way to go. If P&S is youre venture than its a wide open market. I have the Canon XTI and its a perfect camera for me. Sure you can spend thousands like holland patrick but im sure thats not a good solution for you.

Check out a few of my pics at here.. I just started that site so content is low at the moment.

Those are the kind of pictures I plan on taking PLUS taking a lot of car show pics. I have been leaning towards XTi.

I may just get the XTi and then a get a nice variety of lens` I go air shows every year so I may need to look into a nice lens for that.

Awesome pictures btw the Squashed.

- Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Stiff: Nikon D40 + 18-135mm telezoom. That would serve as a very nice "starter" kit

There are many point `n` shoot cams available for $300 and less that will do a great job in good lighting. However, they tend to fall down in low light conditions.

Don`t get caught up in the megapixel race. Look for a camera that`s nearing the end of it`s life and get a great value.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information