Post Thanks / Like
    So, the new cross over SUV/Coupe from BMW finally came out - the X6. Pretty much made to compete with the Audi A7, as the BMW CS has been made to compete with the Audi A5 and Benz CLS. In any case, I found the vehicle to be, well, predictable. Just a swooped down roof on a X5.

Now heres the thing... not too long ago I was complaining that the entire BMW fleet had gone ugly. Bengal (the lead designer) had taken things TOO far. Thankfully, I believe BMW has gotten the point having toned down the new 3 coupe and X5 versus its radical departures such as the 5 series or 745.

HOWEVER

Though I appreciate BMW relaxing their over the top styling, I think they may have gotten lost somewhere between changing too much and leaving too much alone. The new X6 really doesn`t look all that, well, new. Relative to the distinct styling of the Q7 versus the rest of Audi`s fleet, the X6 just looks like a X5 with a different roof line.

I love BMW, and it recently surpassed Benz luxury sales. Never the less, when BMW is making for the effort to raise its prices, and your main competitor (Benz) has strategically lowered some prices, while making (arguably) stunning pieces of art (Look at the new C, CL, CLS) AND is infringing on your competitive advantage (Benz is now producing more true sports cars, ala C63AMG), I feel the company may be looking at some problems in the near future.

Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have thought for a long time that the cars were well, ugly for the most part. The 7 doesn`t hold a candle to the big S-Class. You can get the S with 4, 5, 600+ HP and some really nice styling but the 7`s "look at me" styling is played out and wasn`t all that great when it was "in".

I 100% agree with you about the X6. What really is the point of a chop top X5???
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    True sports cars dont have auto trannys....
    08 BMW M5

06 Honda S2000

05 Acura TSX

02 BMW M3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    I have thought for a long time that the cars were well, ugly for the most part. The 7 doesn`t hold a candle to the big S-Class. You can get the S with 4, 5, 600+ HP and some really nice styling but the 7`s "look at me" styling is played out and wasn`t all that great when it was "in".

I 100% agree with you about the X6. What really is the point of a chop top X5???

I think we all know BMWs can`t really go off roading, its a matter of size, space, and the American "bigger is better" car syndrome. Thus I`m assuming its made purely to offer a more aggressive, sporty feel to a roomy car. The X5, mind you, is one of BMWs best selling vehicles. Further more its made to compete with the Q7.

Now I don`t have a problem with all this. And frankly I LIKE the look of the X5/X6 (especially compared to other bimmers), but I would like a more substantial difference. Don`t just change a roof line, and make a few subtle changes to the front grill and say "Heres a new car". Blech!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMINUS
    True sports cars dont have auto trannys....

So then I guess the Formula 1 CVT, Ferrari Semi-Auto Flappy Paddle Gear Boxes, none of these cars are "sports cars."

I don`t know much about pure manual vs semi-auto vs flappy paddle vs dual clutch vs all the rest, but I do know it has nothing to do with this thread :p

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the recent changes are a bit strange. Mostly the production turbo engine. I never thought they would make one honestly. I guess audi pushed them into doing something though.

I cant comment on the x5/x6 but I love the new body style personaly. My father has a 7 series, and I`ve really fallen in love with it. I would probably have someones child if they would give me an m5. Being a man, it would be difficult but id figure something out. I think its a love or hate style though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nmxdaven
    I think the recent changes are a bit strange. Mostly the production turbo engine. I never thought they would make one honestly. I guess audi pushed them into doing something though.

I cant comment on the x5/x6 but I love the new body style personaly. My father has a 7 series, and I`ve really fallen in love with it. I would probably have someones child if they would give me an m5. Being a man, it would be difficult but id figure something out. I think its a love or hate style though.

I too favor the new X body style (negating the awful x3) versus much of the rest of bimmer`s fleet. However the transition from X5 to X6 is too, well, subtle. Furthermore, my dad also has a 750, and while I think its nicer - one of the "nicer" bimmers - in my humble opinion its no magnificent flag ship. Ever the 328 coupe I have, though I think its one of the nicer if not the best looking bimmer out there, still pails on comparison to the new C and arguably the new A4. Though much of this is simply my opinion, the general consensus is that new BMWs don`t have that, well, special sauce, that older versions did. The Germanic class and prestige. The moderated yet elegant looks. BMW is now characterized by an unleashed and untamed design - wild almost erratic angles and curves - ultimately, not what a BMW previously represented. Furthermore, nothing I hope BMW will continue to represent either.

Thread Information