Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas grills

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious what kind of gas grills you guys are cooking on and any comments or input you can offer on what you have.

I recently bought a Kenmore 3 burner for just under $200, and while I was initially satisfied, I have recently noticed that this grill cooks very unevenly. I put 6 burgers on the other night - two in the back, two in the middle, and two up front. The two in back were charred black within minutes. The two in the middle were right where they should have been, and the two up front hadn`t even started to cook.

I may be taking this one back and picking up another inexpensive grill so your input is appreciated!

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been cooking on a Weber Genesis Silver B for over five years and have really been satisfied with how well it cooks. It`s not perfectly even if all three burners are set at the same level, but with a little adjusting, I can get it to a point where it`s nearly even across the grill. I don`t get flare ups too often, but I try to keep my grilling surfaces as clean as possible (Pam for the grill rocks!) Haven`t found much use for the side burner, but I like the extra space it provides. It cleans really well too, as just about all cooking components are easily removable.

Recommended :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the burners on the Weber run left to right (burner in the rear, middle and front, instead of left, right and center)? I remember seeing them this way when checking them out, but I could be wrong. Does that make it hard to cook indirectly?

I`ve used the side burner for sauteeing mushrooms and grilling onions while I`ve got steaks or burgers on the main grill...comes in handy for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Get one of the HD Weber grilles with the big-azz stainless steel tops. They`re great and do a fantastic job regardless how cold or warm the ambient air is. I`ve mastered this new indirect cooking technique for chicken...it`s superb and the food comes off the grilled picture-perfect, literally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a Charmglow 3 burner from Home Depot. I`m an impatient person when it comes to grilling (except for ribs) so I usually cook my burgers or skirt steak on high heat on the upper rack. I get a nice sealed crispy exterior on the meat with a juicy interior.

My grill is also very dirty so I can turn it off halfway through and the layer of grease on the bottom tray keeps burning for the rest of the cooking time, which saves me propane. (lol)

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik89si
    Do the burners on the Weber run left to right (burner in the rear, middle and front, instead of left, right and center)? I remember seeing them this way when checking them out, but I could be wrong. Does that make it hard to cook indirectly?

I`ve used the side burner for sauteeing mushrooms and grilling onions while I`ve got steaks or burgers on the main grill...comes in handy for me!
    IIRC the burners on my Webber run front, center, and rear. I like to turn off the center burner and use the indirect cooking method Tom mentioned. It`s great for cooking a whole chicken on the grill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    IIRC the burners on my Webber run front, center, and rear. I like to turn off the center burner and use the indirect cooking method Tom mentioned. It`s great for cooking a whole chicken on the grill.
    That is correct, because I was out looking for a new grill today and decided on a Stainless Weber 310 that I`ll pick up tomorrow. The Weber grills are a bit pricey, but I`ve wanted one for years and I`m tired of replacing parts in my old Char-Broil grill. This 310 has stainless steel flavorizer bars and cooking grates.

Below is a link for a chicken recipe that I`ve never tried but a lot of folks say it turns out great:

Beer Butt Chicken

I think the idea is that the can of beer keeps the chicken moist while adding some flavor.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a BroilMaster online (about half price of retail stores) and have never regretted it. It has been 4 years and it still cooks just like new.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my vermont castings grill that I got from Home Depot, this thing is built to last and for the price you get way more than the Weber series. Go check them out.
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    That is correct, because I was out looking for a new grill today and decided on a Stainless Weber 310 that I`ll pick up tomorrow. The Weber grills are a bit pricey, but I`ve wanted one for years and I`m tired of replacing parts in my old Char-Broil grill. This 310 has stainless steel flavorizer bars and cooking grates.

I had a Char-Broil a few years ago. About a month after I bought it the electric starter stopped working. My webber works like a charm and I`ve had it a while now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I had a Char-Broil a few years ago. About a month after I bought it the electric starter stopped working. My webber works like a charm and I`ve had it a while now.
    I picked up the Weber yesterday and am very pleased with it. I cooked about a dozen burgers on it and they all came out about the same. On my old two burner Char-Broil I would have to constantly rotate their positions on the grill to get them done evenly. I`m sure the Weber doesn`t have perfect heat distribution, but it is a lot better than the cheaper grills I have used in the past. Well worth the extra $$$ in my opinion.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently using this Turbo Sport Infrared Grill. With its` direct flame cooking method, it works wonders on steaks with its` searing capability. As delicate as fish can be, I sear it quickly with a nice crisp surface and the inside stays moist. However,sugar-based marinades don`t fair well, as it burns too quickly or need more care in cooking.

I`ve got my sight on this grill Char-Broil TEC Series Triple Burner Gas Grill. I believe it will give me more grill surface and provide various cooking methods. The infra-red burner will sear and the regular burners will slow cook it.

I`m unsure about the Char-Broil brand as compare to the Weber brand in cooking performance. You can always find spare parts for the Weber everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    there are so many grills to choose from these days.

on that note, i will say that my old webber genesis ( 10 plus years ) 3 burner, plain, bland, no side burner, no IR rotisseri burner, wood side surface has kicked some major *** over the years. with regular cleaning and occasional flavorizer bar replacement, this simple, tiny grill has uniform heat zones, consistant gas flow and evenly distributed heat. i love it. webbers are not overpriced . . . they are more expensive. IMO, they are worth every penny.
    "Nice wax job rook!" . . . . - Ramathorn

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentlemen.

Here in Australia, we call them all by the generic term Barbecues, so the word applies for the meal itself, as well as for the gas grill cooker.

The temperature is perfect all year round for barbecue, as even in mid Winter, especially here in Queensland, the daytime temperature at evening meal time is still fairly warm, usually in the mid sixties, and in Summer it`s high eighties.

I`ve just got another cooker, this one being my fourth now, starting out with one of those tiny ones, just a small round plate with a gas connection, and building up to a hooded 4 burner, and now back to a smaller hooded 2 burner. My good lady wife just loves a barbecued meal, and I think it has something to do with her not having to do the cooking and the cleaning up after. So, I`ve become adept at the task in some ways, but I`m always learning something new.

As parents, you think that it`s your task in life to teach things to your children, and sometimes the reverse occurs that heartens you somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    Below is a link for a chicken recipe that I`ve never tried but a lot of folks say it turns out great:

Beer Butt Chicken

I think the idea is that the can of beer keeps the chicken moist while adding some flavor.
    We were visiting with our youngest son and his family a few months back in early Autumn, and he barbecued a roast dinner for us, the whole lot, meat vegetables right down to the gravy.

I thought his cooker was a little on the overkill side being a six burner with side burners as well and everything that open and shut on it.

He has recently moved into a newer huge house that he and his wife had a hand in designing, and part of the plan was a huge area for a complete outdoor kitchen with a built in cooker, sink, the whole deal.

This time, he did a roast pork joint that not only came out succulently perfect, but with the crunchy crackling that makes pork great to eat.

I was with him outside having a cold beer, (or two) and was amazed at his confidence, hardly checking as he went along.

I watched as he lifted the hood one time and saw the tin of water on the rack at the back, and learned in that instant something new, how to keep the joint from drying out. Before starting he lit up all 6 burners, and when the temperature was right on the scale, he turned all of them off barring the outside two.

The resultant meal was perfect, and encouraged me to try it when the time comes a little later this year in our Spring.

So, the idea of a can of beer or a tin of water in with the meat is just that. To keep it moist.

I`m also a little like some here.

Mmm! Ribs.

Tony.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently bought a small char-broil patio-cadie. Its nice and small for my small apartment patio. But the grille face is ceramic and started coming off on some chicken I was cooking. Not good. I think I`m going to look for a metal replacement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information