Post Thanks / Like

I Can`t Just Wash The Car!

Over the weekend I cleaned both my rides on Sunday....knowing that they all had enough product on them for 6 cars...all that was needed was a good wash and vac.

I must be kidding myself .....wash, QD...well maybe one coat of the new Nattys red

The neighbor was washing her car with dish soap I`m sure....the super suds was the give away...she didn`t even clean the windows

I`m so addicted to this detail thing that its physically impossible for me to just wash the car and walk away from it....no can do!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Can`t Just Wash The Car!

I do the same here...I was my car about 4 times a week...and sadly I think I add a coat of something each time...which would explain why I am ordering so much lately. Its bad now that I offer to do other peoples cars just to help them out.

My neighbor does the same washing with dawn and scrubing the rims with a scotch brite pad to get the brake dust off...I cringe...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say it count your blessings. As well as congratulations OCD should be encouraged as a well known member of this forum would say!!
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand! Before I got into that detailing thing I was weak. My old ride would go into the carwash at the gas station (the HORROR!) or would just stay - I am ashamed to admit it - dirty.
    But with my new -used- car I wash it and I see that it actually doesn`t NEED any waxing and I go insode the house. And then comes this nagging feeling that I didn`t do something. That the shine COULD be better. That there is a place that needs waxing. And then I get up and do it anyway.

Of course there is always the possibility of founding DA (Detailers Anonymous). There would have to be a 12 step program in place: step 1 - put a tiny spec of non abrasive dirt on your car and leave it there for at least 5 minutes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikro000 View Post

Of course there is always the possibility of founding DA (Detailers Anonymous). There would have to be a 12 step program in place: step 1 - put a tiny spec of non abrasive dirt on your car and leave it there for at least 5 minutes...
    My wife says I need this...I can spend all day on saturday getting the car just the way I like it...she think I have problems...

But here is a question that I am not sure has ever been posed here (if it has then you can pass on your answer). What if car paint manufacturers developed a paint and a clear that was truely scratch resistent, fade resistent and would never chip. A paint that never required polishing, glazing or ever the need to add a LSP. Basically it always stayed the way it was directly from the manufacturer, minus washing. Would you want that? From a paint point a view it would be great because I hate nicks and scratches on my car it drives me nuts.

But then what seperates my cars from most I see on the road, is the condition mine is in and the pride I took getting it there. I think I would be bored if I couldn`t do it any more.

Just curious what you guys think.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I had a flat tire on my Murano a few weeks back...while I was changing the tire....I noticed some dirty areas that the tire and rim block me from seeing....grab some S&W and a old MFT and cleaned it up...before putting on the spare.....when I got the tire fixed and the tire guys where putting it back on for me...they said that was the cleanest wheel wells that they have ever seen on a older car

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Classy Touch Mobile
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely bored and out a job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    My wife says I need this...I can spend all day on saturday getting the car just the way I like it...she think I have problems...

But here is a question that I am not sure has ever been posed here (if it has then you can pass on your answer). What if car paint manufacturers developed a paint and a clear that was truely scratch resistent, fade resistent and would never chip. A paint that never required polishing, glazing or ever the need to add a LSP. Basically it always stayed the way it was directly from the manufacturer, minus washing. Would you want that? From a paint point a view it would be great because I hate nicks and scratches on my car it drives me nuts.

But then what seperates my cars from most I see on the road, is the condition mine is in and the pride I took getting it there. I think I would be bored if I couldn`t do it any more.

Just curious what you guys think.
    I would still be out there smearing something on the surface trying to make it better...compulsive behavior requires no reason....don`t ask me how I know this

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I had a flat tire on my Murano a few weeks back...while I was changing the tire....I noticed some dirty areas that the tire and rim block me from seeing....grab some S&W and a old MFT and cleaned it up...before putting on the spare.....when I got the tire fixed and the tire guys where putting it back on for me...they said that was the cleanest wheel wells that they have ever seen on a older car
    I want to take off the rims and tires on my murano but since I just got new tires they are almost impossible to take off without using a air wrench. I usually try to find something to use with my hand and clean the inside but I don`t know about you but there is a metal cover that is on mine that goes just over the brake itself and it is super sharp and I always cut myslef trying to clean the inner portion of the rim.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    I want to take off the rims and tires on my murano but since I just got new tires they are almost impossible to take off without using a air wrench. I usually try to find something to use with my hand and clean the inside but I don`t know about you but there is a metal cover that is on mine that goes just over the brake itself and it is super sharp and I always cut myslef trying to clean the inner portion of the rim.
    I`m running after market rims on mine...same size rim (18`s) but fatter tires (toyos) what I find for cleaning in the back of the rims....look for a janitorial supply store in your area, they should have those long toilet brushes....they look like a big rat tail....they are real well built and you can bend them into all kinds of positions to get into tight areas....I buy 3 at a time...and they are cheap

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Over the weekend I cleaned both my rides on Sunday....knowing that they all had enough product on them for 6 cars...all that was needed was a good wash and vac.

I must be kidding myself .....wash, QD...well maybe one coat of the new Nattys red

The neighbor was washing her car with dish soap I`m sure....the super suds was the give away...she didn`t even clean the windows

I`m so addicted to this detail thing that its physically impossible for me to just wash the car and walk away from it....no can do!
    Back to the thread: I have the same problem..Last night I went to wash my Tundra..Yeah Night..Started at 8:00pm. A simple wash ended up costing me the entire night. When I finished my "simple wash" I had completely finished the tailgate..I told my wife I was improving my technique. Finished at 12:30am. Help Me.....
    Gravity is a contributing factor in nearly 73 percent of all accidents involving falling objects. -Dave Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayoto View Post
    Back to the thread: I have the same problem..Last night I went to wash my Tundra..Yeah Night..Started at 8:00pm. A simple wash ended up costing me the entire night. When I finished my "simple wash" I had completely finished the tailgate..I told my wife I was improving my technique. Finished at 12:30am. Help Me.....
    I would be divorced at this point if I was in the garage at 12AM doing anything other than getting some water for the refer out there

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I would be divorced at this point if I was in the garage at 12AM doing anything other than getting some water for the refer out there

I`ll just say she wasn`t thrilled..and I don`t think I`ll push the envelope..Especially since shes 8mo. pregnant.
    Gravity is a contributing factor in nearly 73 percent of all accidents involving falling objects. -Dave Barry

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Nexttime tell her its only 9pm on the west coast. HAHA! My wife wouldnt care that much if I was out in the garage at that timeof night, shed be asleep and one of the boys would be in bed with her. Now if we hadnt eaten dinner yet Id better get in the house NOW! RANDAL

Thread Information