Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

I have been using Norton/Symantec products for as long as I can remember to protect my PCs but I think I am at my wits end with Symantec. I am looking at going with another Internet Security Suite and I should probably bite my tongue but I think I am going to go with Microsoft Live OneCare. It has all the features of Norton 360 and hopefully they are better at integrating their product into Windows than Symantec is.

Windows Live OneCare

Anyway I was wondering if anyone out there is running Live OneCare???? If so, what do you think?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    No experience with the Microsoft software, but you might consider this software too.

AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - AVG Internet Security Home Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    I am fed up with Symantec also. Mine expires in a few days so I just installed the free version of AVG, seems to be alright so far. I`ll be watching this thread.

AVG Free Advisor: Free anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware tools
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Avast for several years now and I have not had a virus since. Best of all, it`s free! avast! antivirus software - computer virus, worm and Trojan protection by ALWIL Software

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use Panda software and so far no problems!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think you can do just about as good a job as Windows OneCare for the grand price of FREE. Check this site`s free programs and reviews. I would get Spybot, Ad-aware, and Spywareblaster. For a Firewall I just heard a strong recommendation for PC Tools free firewall . Comodo is another one that`s supposed to be very good, but I`ve heard it can be somewhat cumbersome and the PC Tools one is not. IE7 provides a free anti-phishing filter and maybe Firefox has add-ons for that too. As for a free Anti-virus, the top 3 are AVG, Avast and Anti-Vir. Anti-Vir has the best detection rates but the freebie lacks an email scanner. I use Web-mail only so I get free email scans anyway. Anyways just a thought for the good free stuff!!

EDIT: The Spycatcher Express program mentioned under the freebies is apparently detecting false positives and sometimes causing other PC programs to not run right after removing spyware, so I`d definitely pass on that one!

Another real good security tip that`s not discussed much is - Creating a 2nd (or more) usernames in Win XP, and surfing with those instead of the administrator account. By default, when a PC only has one username, this defaults to the ADMINISTRATOR account. By creating a 2nd, 3rd, etc. user accounts these are LIMITED accounts and don`t allow "baddies" to install on your computer. Here`s a quick article about it and more info in WinXP`s help file - search "administrator".

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH USING PASSWORDS ON THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT. IF YOU FORGET IT, IT WILL LOCK YOU OUT OF YOUR PC. I DON`T USE ANY LOGON PASSWORDS TO AVOID THIS PROBLEM. IF YOU DO, JUST WRITE THE PW`s DOWN, ESPECIALLY ADMIN AS ITS THE ENTRANCE TO THE PC.

The #1 reason for running as non-admin is to limit your exposure. When you are an admin, every program you run has unlimited access to your computer. If malicious or other “undesirable†code finds its way to one of those programs, it also gains unlimited access. A corporate firewall is only partial protection against the hostility of the Internet: you still browse web sites, receive email, or run one or more instant messaging clients or internet-connected games. Even if you keep up to date on patches and virus signatures, enable strong security settings, and are extremely careful with attachments, things happen. Let’s say you’re using your favorite search engine and click on a link that looks promising, but which turns out to be a malicious site hosting a zero-day exploit of a vulnerability in the browser you happen to be using, resulting in execution of arbitrary code. When an exploit runs with admin privileges, its ability to compromise your system is much greater, its ability to do so without detection is much greater, and its ability to attack others on your network is greater than it would be with only User privs. If the exploit happens to be written so that it requires admin privileges (as many do), just running as User stops it dead. But if you’re running as admin, an exploit can:

* install kernel-mode rootkits and/or keyloggers (which can be close to impossible to detect)

* install and start services

* install ActiveX controls, including IE and shell add-ins (common with spyware and adware)

* access data belonging to other users

* cause code to run whenever anybody else logs on (including capturing passwords entered into the Ctrl-Alt-Del logon dialog)

* replace OS and other program files with trojan horses

* access LSA Secrets, including other sensitive account information, possibly including account info for domain accounts

* disable/uninstall anti-virus

* cover its tracks in the event log

* render your machine unbootable

* if your account is an administrator on other computers on the network, the malware gains admin control over those computers as well

* and lots more

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never tried it. I love using Kaspersky Internet Secruity Suite. It does everything that other programs do, but combined all into one. I bought like 3 of them when Staples had a sale, but ended up using only 1. I can part out the other 2 for 20 each if any of you guys are intereted.
    -Sam

Serving Northern California (East Bay) from

San Francisco, Berkeley, to San Jose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trend works great.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kpounds
    Personally I think you can do just about as good a job as Windows OneCare for the grand price of FREE. Check this site`s free programs and reviews. I would get Spybot, Ad-aware, and Spywareblaster. For a Firewall I just heard a strong recommendation for PC Tools free firewall . Comodo is another one that`s supposed to be very good, but I`ve heard it can be somewhat cumbersome and the PC Tools one is not. IE7 provides a free anti-phishing filter and maybe Firefox has add-ons for that too. As for a free Anti-virus, the top 3 are AVG, Avast and Anti-Vir. Anti-Vir has the best detection rates but the freebie lacks an email scanner. I use Web-mail only so I get free email scans anyway. Anyways just a thought for the good free stuff!!

I also have to recommend Spybot, Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, and AVG Free. They all work well, don`t get your system bloated like Symantec crap, and best of all they`re FREE.

I don`t hang around computer geeks too much anymore, so most of the people I know are just casual computer users and it`s amazing that almost all of them use outdated virus programs with outdated definitions. Even if I install free programs for them, they don`t even bother to update it so it`s usually pointless. No wonder companies like The Geek Squad can bend each customer over and rip them a new one. I guess there`s never a short supply of idiots when one is born every minute.

Post Thanks / Like
    kpounds great post!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

I have used Avast anti-virus software for years and it works great. No viruses even with 2 boys under the age of 9.

Can anyone recommend a good internet filtering program (parental control). We have the computer in the kitchen so we can watch what they are doing but it doesn`t hurt.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips but I am not a newbie, been doing desktop support for 20 years I do not run any of my machines using the Administrator account. First thing I do is create my own second administrative account and limited user accounts for my users. The problem I am having with Norton 360 right now may be a bug. I spent an hour talking with support this morning and they sent me some debugging software to run on the machine. I just sent them the logs a short time ago. The issue is that Norton 360 will not start on limited user accounts but works fine on administrative accounts. This started happening on several of my machines after the latest Norton update. Symantec is working on it...

If they can solve this issue quickly Symantec will have redeemed themselves for me, at least until the next problem I know in the past some of their products have been resource hogs but Norton 360 is by far the best suite I have seen from them. It also rates very highly in comparisons of the various Internet Security Suites out there. I have no issues with it whatsoever. The problem I have with Symantec is that their support can be spotty. Phone support costs $10 per incident and you wouldn`t expect to be on hold for an hour waiting for a technician when you are paying for the call. Their email support is useless. The best luck I have had with them is their Live Chat option.

As much as I despise Microsoft I have to admit their support is better than what I have experienced with Symantec over the years. This is one of the reasons I was considering Microsoft Live OneCare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips but I am not a newbie, been doing desktop support for 20 years I do not run any of my machines using the Administrator account. First thing I do is create my own second administrative account and limited user accounts for my users. The problem I am having with Norton 360 right now may be a bug. I spent an hour talking with support this morning and they sent me some debugging software to run on the machine. I just sent them the logs a short time ago. The issue is that Norton 360 will not start on limited user accounts but works fine on administrative accounts. This started happening on several of my machines after the latest Norton update. Symantec is working on it...

If they can solve this issue quickly Symantec will have redeemed themselves for me, at least until the next problem I know in the past some of their products have been resource hogs but Norton 360 is by far the best suite I have seen from them. It also rates very highly in comparisons of the various Internet Security Suites out there. I have no issues with it whatsoever. The problem I have with Symantec is that their support can be spotty. Phone support costs $10 per incident and you wouldn`t expect to be on hold for an hour waiting for a technician when you are paying for the call. Their email support is useless. The best luck I have had with them is their Live Chat option.

As much as I despise Microsoft I have to admit their support is better than what I have experienced with Symantec over the years. This is one of the reasons I was considering Microsoft Live OneCare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLINY
    kpounds great post!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

I have used Avast anti-virus software for years and it works great. No viruses even with 2 boys under the age of 9.

Can anyone recommend a good internet filtering program (parental control). We have the computer in the kitchen so we can watch what they are doing but it doesn`t hurt.

Thanks all.

If you are happy with Avast they also have a FREE Internet Security Suite that includes web filtering.

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    I also have to recommend Spybot, Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, and AVG Free. They all work well, don`t get your system bloated like Symantec crap, and best of all they`re FREE.

I don`t hang around computer geeks too much anymore, so most of the people I know are just casual computer users and it`s amazing that almost all of them use outdated virus programs with outdated definitions. Even if I install free programs for them, they don`t even bother to update it so it`s usually pointless. No wonder companies like The Geek Squad can bend each customer over and rip them a new one. I guess there`s never a short supply of idiots when one is born every minute.

+1 to this post. I agree, there`s no need for that expensive bloatware crap! I hate companies like Norton and McAfee... yuck, reminds me of AOL

good luck!

Personally... I only have a hardware firewall on my router, and I guess the kleenex-protection of the XP firewall, plus AVG free anti-virus. That`s all I run, no problems here yet!

Oh... but, like you, I use common sense as well. You know, I don`t actually believe anyone took the time to send me nude Jessica Simposon pics :laugh:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bit more than that. I have a dedicated machine running a Linux based firewall (IPCop). It also does the content filtering for my network.

Lets try and get this thread back on topic. I am not interested in all the freeware recommendations of a lesson in internet security, I don`t need either

Thread Information