Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone used this? What types of tools does this version offer? What am I losing by not getting the full photoshop program?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a few versions of elements and a few versions of full photoshop. What do you want to do with the program? Elements will give you all the basic features. There are only a few tools that I find handy that elements doesn`t have, at least the older versions I had. For my day to day cropping, color/contrast adjustments elements is more than I need. When I do photo restoration I am happy to have the full photoshop. There must be a comparison matrix online somewhere. Wish I could tell you the exact tools that are different but I gave my copy of elements away a few years ago so I don`t remember.

Edit: If you want to try a open source free version download GIMPshop. Announcing GIMPshop at Plastic Bugs
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I also recommend trying gimp (or gimpshop, they are very similar). At a price of $0 it is a great deal and will save you a few hundred dollars over a full version of photoshop.
    2007 Mazda MX-5 Power Retractable Hardtop

Brilliant Black with Suspension Package

Post Thanks / Like
    I use both versions regularly: PS Elements 4.0 & PS CS3.

Elements 4 is missing curves and has limited layer styles options. Those are my biggest gripes. Maybe some of this is different in Elements 5.0.

There are numerous doo-dads that are missing that i take for granted since I`ve been using the full blown photoshop for so many years, and that is the biggest frustration to me.

However, as stated above, it`s fine for day to day cropping, straightening, photo fix-ups, etc.

Photoshop is much better for being super creative, i.e. drawing from scratch. Elements is fine for general photography though.
    You know what seems odd to me?

Numbers that aren`t divisble by 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    The simple versions of PS permit the casual user plenty of options. I`ve got a stripped down version that came with a camera bundle. I`ve had tremendous use from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not very good with either and couldn`t really tell you the main difference between the 2 program (besides Elements being easier to use). I`m a VERY casual user, mainly for general photography and eBay photos. I find that it`s easier using Elements to fix and auto-fix pics, while I mainly use PS for eBay photos when I use actions. I embed my info into all the pics so they aren`t stolen on eBay and by storing an action, I can easily put a watermark on all my pics with the press of a button.

You can almost do the same thing on Elements, but IIRC you`re not able to store it as an action. There`s a way around it though but it seemed like too much work and confusing.

Again this is from a casual user`s opinion, so please take that lightly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Elements is great for photo editing.

Scott Kelby`s Book Elements for Digital Photographers is a must.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree about Scott Kelby`s books. They are a must! I have several of them myself, and would own all of them if I had the money!
    You know what seems odd to me?

Numbers that aren`t divisble by 2.

Thread Information