Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am starting to do research for a tv that I plan on buying within the next few months, and have decided to go plasma over lcd simply because I think lcd just looks horrible. The lcd`s don`t impress me at all, even the Sony XBR3 that I`ve looked at. In addition to the picture not really impressing me all that much, they also aren`t available in the size I want either. I`m looking for 60" (or a little bigger) but don`t want to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get it.

Anyway, the Pioneer Elite Pro-1540HD 60" Plasma is really catching my eye, but the fact that it`s not full HD, and is only 1365x768 kind of bugs me. Does anyone know if Pioneer is planning on releasing a newer version that is full HD compatible?

Post Thanks / Like
    avsforums.com

It`s like Autopia for AV stuff.

LINK FIXED
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize if you`re already set on plasma, but have you considered DLP? It`s possibly one of the best technologies out there for the best picture. IMHO plasma is far, far overrated and doesn`t last that long.

Plasmas really have trouble coming up to true HD resolutions, such as 1080i or 1080p. If you do find one, I`m sure it will be mucho expensive; but then agian, its been a while since I`ve been researching this stuff. I used to be "in the know" but not so much anymore.

However, if you really want that back-is-flat-also look, then sorry I can`t help

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    avsforums.com

It`s like Autopia for AV stuff.

I think you linked us to the wrong site :nervous:

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I work part time as a fun job selling the big TVs at CCity. Plasma is a dead technology right now. Everything that is selling is 1080p DLP. Look at the Samsung, Sony, or Mitsubishis. Just remember, nothing is or will in the near future broadcast in 1080p and to get the full advantage you need Blu Ray or the crappier HD-DVD.

This one is a jem...

Buy the Mitsubishi 65" DLP Projection HDTV (WD-Y65) and other Projection TVs at circuitcity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The three P`s: plasma, Pioneer and Panasonic. At lower screen sizes, 1080p is hard to distinguish from 1080i, but at 60", it might make a difference to your eye (and wallet).

Broadcasts are not in full HD (1080p) anyway, so I don`t think that`ll make a difference, but the two HDMI ports on the 1540 are 1080p capable iirc, so you might be able to take advantage of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

The newer plasma technologies have a come a long way since the `early` days of burn-in, and every technology has its downside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, the Pioneer PRO-FHD1 has 1080p resolution, but it`s only available in a 50" size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having done this research numerous times......

DLP will be your best bang for the buck, then plasma, the LCD. The newest generation panel LCDs will have the best pictures period, but will also stretch your wallet the most.

If you don`t need a flat panel set to hang on the wall, DLP is your best bet in 60"+ LCD`s get expensive around 50" and plasmas price break point is around 57"

Plasma`s have come a long way too and you don`t have to worry anymore about burn in or limited brightness life..

Anyhow, for a smaller set <37 I would go LCD all the way. For 50" sizes Plasma....the panasonic 50" is a steal and has an incredible picture. Over 55" go DLP unless you need to hang it on the wall, then go plasma, but you are gonna pay for it.

1080p is a bit overrated in my opinion. On a 60" screen you probably will, however, notice the difference, but hardly any broadcasting is done in it. So it`s more for the "future" and by that time you might have a new set anyway!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DETAILKING
    Having done this research numerous times......

DLP will be your best bang for the buck, then plasma, the LCD. The newest generation panel LCDs will have the best pictures period, but will also stretch your wallet the most.

If you don`t need a flat panel set to hang on the wall, DLP is your best bet in 60"+ LCD`s get expensive around 50" and plasmas price break point is around 57"

Plasma`s have come a long way too and you don`t have to worry anymore about burn in or limited brightness life..

Anyhow, for a smaller set <37 I would go LCD all the way. For 50" sizes Plasma....the panasonic 50" is a steal and has an incredible picture. Over 55" go DLP unless you need to hang it on the wall, then go plasma, but you are gonna pay for it.

1080p is a bit overrated in my opinion. On a 60" screen you probably will, however, notice the difference, but hardly any broadcasting is done in it. So it`s more for the "future" and by that time you might have a new set anyway!

Good luck!
    Totally not true about burn in with plasma, there is still the possibility of burn in. If you play games that have a logo or graphics in the corner of the tv or something like Madden Football and you play it a lot or leave it paused, it will burn in. You do not have to worrk about it as much with TV and movies but to say burn in is a thing of the past is just not true.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as size, I am definitely looking for something around 60 inches, which cuts out LCD`s. I don`t like the look of the LCD`s anyway, even the Sony XBR3. I don`t find any of them have a smooth picture like regular tube tv`s, or even plasmas.

I`m also not going to mount this on the wall either, so being *completely* flat isn`t a necessity. I just want the absolute BEST picture.

So far, I have ruled out rear projection and LCD. I will have to look at DLP and see what`s up with that.

My number one pick so far is the Pioneer Elite 1540HD that I mentioned earlier, but like I said, I haven`t looked at DLP yet.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the help and am definitely taking notes on everything you are all saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    As far as size, I am definitely looking for something around 60 inches, which cuts out LCD`s. I don`t like the look of the LCD`s anyway, even the Sony XBR3. I don`t find any of them have a smooth picture like regular tube tv`s, or even plasmas.

I`m also not going to mount this on the wall either, so being *completely* flat isn`t a necessity. I just want the absolute BEST picture.

So far, I have ruled out rear projection and LCD. I will have to look at DLP and see what`s up with that.

My number one pick so far is the Pioneer Elite 1540HD that I mentioned earlier, but like I said, I haven`t looked at DLP yet.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the help and am definitely taking notes on everything you are all saying.
    DLP is rear projection, FYI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamHBonney
    DLP is rear projection, FYI.

Ahh, lol. I didn`t know that. Okay, well that`s out!

I just got back from reading a whole lot on avsforum.com and wow, they have a lot of info on that site.

I am thinking that plasma is the way to go. It seems most are torn between lcd and plasma, and I have already ruled out lcd for the most part.

I am going to go to another store, and compare the two again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I err, uhm, fixed the link.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is rear projection out? DLP is worth looking at, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    Why is rear projection out? DLP is worth looking at, IMO.
    Totally agree, big difference from the old rear projection and the DLP projection. We have a 55 inch plasma and dont really care for it anymore. DLP and LCDs are much crisper and the color is much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    Ahh, lol. I didn`t know that. Okay, well that`s out!

I just got back from reading a whole lot on avsforum.com and wow, they have a lot of info on that site.

I am thinking that plasma is the way to go. It seems most are torn between lcd and plasma, and I have already ruled out lcd for the most part.

I am going to go to another store, and compare the two again.

Well DLP does use rear projection, but it is significantly different from traditional rear projections. DLPs can be quite "thin"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information