The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Frustrated is putting it mildly

While I have no problem with Kevin Harvick, I am so disappointed that Mark Martin couldn`t quite pull it off.
    We have been fans of Martin for years and I thought today was going to be his day.
    Never having met Martin, I don`t know what he is really like, but he sure seems like a class act. And in a profession that isn`t exactly loaded with class acts.
    I don`t drink so I`m gonna go cry in my iced tea.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Frustrated is putting it mildly

Mark would have won if they would have thrown the caution. I too am disappointed. Once Tony and Kurt crashed the race was on. It stinks for Mark and the other drivers who were in contention to win but it is Daytona-- anything could happen (and it did). But personally, I am just glad the season is back under way... go #8 .
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I only watch real racing, so I don`t have a clue as to what you guys are talking about.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree that throwing the caution would have given the win to Mark, I don`t want to take anything away from Harvick`s win. He definitely won the race by being faster at the end. With a little help from Kenseth, I think. That drafting is something else. Harvick was almost like he was out of a slingshot.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    I only watch real racing, so I don`t have a clue as to what you guys are talking about.
    It`s that race in Daytone where the real racer finished about 21st.

This could become quite a debate, because some of us still think "real racing" is done on dirt.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Harvick desirves the win he was in the right spot at the right time which is what it takes to win these days.

To me "real racing" is all racing . I like all types of racing but Nascar is atop of my list.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    It`s that race in Daytone where the real racer finished about 21st.

This could become quite a debate, because some of us still think "real racing" is done on dirt.

Charles

To me, real racing is done 12-24 hours at a time. I`m more than content watching the GT series as well.

The only thing I "like" about Nascar is that it is designed to be a drivers race with all the cars being relatively equal. Rarely does it happen that way, but the concept is nice. I just really can`t stand 200-500 laps of left turns. There aren`t any track elevations(unless you count the banks) and to me, it`s just not exciting enough. The drivers don`t have to memorize too many things about the track, or at least not as much as they would for a road course. I love LeMans because it is an endurance race and there are different classes of vehicles in the same race. The latter is the same reason I like GT series racing. Now, I`ll pretty much watch any type of racing from rally to motorcycle racing, but I won`t put myself through the agonizing torment of a Nascar race. Of course this is just my opinion and should only be taken as such.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Watkins glen
    sanoma..

two road coarses...

left and right...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    Mark would have won if they would have thrown the caution. I too am disappointed. Once Tony and Kurt crashed the race was on. It stinks for Mark and the other drivers who were in contention to win but it is Daytona-- anything could happen (and it did). But personally, I am just glad the season is back under way... go #88 .

Right on go ricky rudd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick
    Watkins glen
    sanoma..

two road coarses...

left and right...

Yes, 2 races of more than 30 in the season are on a road course. Even then, it isn`t real road course racing IMO, because they aren`t very aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

CRASHES CRASHES CRASHES

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    While I agree that throwing the caution would have given the win to Mark, I don`t want to take anything away from Harvick`s win. He definitely won the race by being faster at the end. With a little help from Kenseth, I think. That drafting is something else. Harvick was almost like he was out of a slingshot.

Charles
    After watching a replay, I`m not quite as sure that throwing the caution would have given Mark the win. It looks like a case could be made for Harvick having the lead at that time, then Martin pulled back in front and Harvick edged by at the end. Hey, if Martin can accept it, I guess I can.
    While I enjoyed it, it was typical NASCAR. Hours of not much racing and then a terrific finish.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

The wife and I were cheering for Mark Martin. It`s not often that an 80 yr old man will win that race. It was a great finish, but it wasn`t the one I wanted to see. At least Tony Stewart crashed.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t get a chance to watch the race, but I saw the highlights in the news and ...WOW!! I know many people bash NASCAR, but I think it`s cool. It does get boring at times, but it can be pretty exciting at times too with crashes and bumpin`.

That finish was awesome. I`m a Tony Stewart fan at heart, but I really would have liked to have seen Martin win...he is indeed a class act and certainly deserved it. Oh well...maybe next year. If he keeps coming back, maybe he`ll finally win it when he`s 90.

Congrats to Harvick, but I must say...go Tony Stewart go!!!!!!

Thread Information