Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone think that Barack Obama`s confession about illegal drug use is refreshing? I personally appluad the man:clap: , but perhaps he sank his presidential ship by doing so. What`s your opinion on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    while not my political affiliation, Obama is a very effective comunicator. Probably the best we have had in 20 years since reagan.

from a political stand point i hope his ship sinks. I doubt it though.

Personally i want to see Rice/Giuliani run as a ticket.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse
    while not my political affiliation, Obama is a very effective comunicator. Probably the best we have had in 20 years since reagan.

Totally agreed, but the question was about his admitted past drug use...

I don`t think it`ll sink his ship--it`ll provide some ammo for his opponents, but if that`s the worst of his past it won`t really sway the public. I don`t consider it all that refreshing either...more it`s just getting his past out there so he doesn`t get flamed for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bush was a drunk and was elected twice.

Obama like a zillion other people tried and / or experimented with drugs years ago as part of growing up. Who cares?! It doesn`t make anyone less of an individual or impact their ability to be effective in their job. The man is academically brilliant and has been an effective leader for his state.

How many here have tried drugs in the PAST as part of experimenting? Does / did that make you unable CURRENTLY to be good at your job, a good husband, a good father, a good friend a good co-worker?

Guiliani has had what, three marriages and divorces as a result of affairs? Does that make him unable to hold office? Or, do we pass judgment on him, like Obama, by their positions on issues and political philosophies?

This nonsense about people`s past occurs on both sides of the political aisle. No party holds the moral high horse on ethics or morality. This is evidently clear.

So, in my opinion, I applaud Obama about being HONEST (how refreshing) instead of spinning it or waiting for some political attack ad to smear him.

Try not playing party line politics and be honest with yourself. If you`re a Republican and it came out that the your nominee blew lines like 25 years ago in college, would you still support him. Visa versa if you`re a Democrat.

I`m not supporting Obama, I`m a Guiliani guy myself as I watched him from Jersey (while working in NYC) be an effective, results oriented, Elliot Ness-like leader for a very diverse city. I applaud his pragmatic conservatism. But I feel this Obama drug issue is a total non factor.

Only dopey right wing talk show pumpkin heads would make an issue out of this.
    Seth

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that society at large is a bit more tolerant of recreational drug use than it has been in elections past, Clinton with his marijuana and Bush with his cocaine. I don`t think it is the turning point in a campaign anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse

Personally i want to see Rice/Giuliani run as a ticket.

Same here, either order.

If someone has used drugs in the past but no longer does and hasn`t for a long time, it isn`t an issue with me.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Did it sink his ship? One simplistic, perhaps, way to look at it is that the last two elections have been very close, and historically, presidential elections are within a few percentage points. Again, if you don`t get into voter turnouts, etc, and just take the simplistic view of about half the electorate from each party, that means a few percentage points that voted for W. last time would have to vote Democratic this time, without losing any, for the Dems to win. How many people that voted for W. last time are going to vote for Obama or Hillary? The Dems seem to put up candidates that THEY like, without thinking about that they have to sway the opposition vote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    If someone has used drugs in the past but no longer does and hasn`t for a long time, it isn`t an issue with me.

yup, its not a question of if, but just whether they`re big enough to own up to it. Obama is, I applaud him for that.

Do I hope he wins? I`m not sure. I honestly don`t think he has the experience necessary, but then again, who am I to say that.

All I know is that there doesn`t seem to be a candidate who really remembers what America is supposed to be about. "Democracy/Republic" my arse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Same here, either order.

I have always been a fan of Rudy Giuliani and would love to see him run.

As for drug use, I am totally against it but the past is past.

I also feel it is WAY to early to make any sort of conclusion on who I would vote for or even lean towards right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Giuliani to run in 2008 - Yahoo! News

Rudy will run he says!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now pair Dr. Rice and Mayor Giuliani together. That would make an excelent platform. I was sold on DR Rice when she spoke infront of the 9-11 commission. She will be an excelent canadidate, along with a powerful speaker.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Go Barack!! I think the real battle he is having right now are news casters and newspapers mis-printing his name as Osama!.

I think Barack will be the candidate of choice for many young people, and we will see an increased voting turnout for people under 25. Just my .02 of course

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Guliani too (hey, I`m a New Yawka) but he`s too liberal to win the primary. Red states hate him.

As for Obama, I think Josh is on the money. He`s a very likeable and charismatic person, and we young people love his liberal views. However, as Paul pointed out--the man only has 2 years of experience in politics! Is he really ready for the Presidency yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman8r44
    I love Guliani too (hey, I`m a New Yawka) but he`s too liberal to win the primary. Red states hate him.

As for Obama, I think Josh is on the money. He`s a very likeable and charismatic person, and we young people love his liberal views. However, as Paul pointed out--the man only has 2 years of experience in politics! Is he really ready for the Presidency yet?

That is why i like the Rice/Giuliani ticket. She is far more conservitive. It would be an interesting race then.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    I think from an honesty standpoint, it is kinda nice to see a potential candidate be honest about his/her past before it has to be dug up. I mean, it happens all too often that this kind of thing comes up during the heat of an election (as opposed to upfront/beforehand) as digging up dirt only to have a huge mudslinging fest, which grows tiring on both sides very quickly. But, I am completely against drug use of any form, past or present. People can say, well it was in his past, it`s behind him now, but IMO, it also defines your character and who you are and what you come from and believe in. I realize noone is perfect, but I`d rather vote for the candidate with a cleaner history. Whether a person does something 10 minutes ago or 10 years ago, it still defines who they are, and the choices they make. If history shows you are capable of making very bad choices, then what other opinion can we form. History is often a predictor of the future.

I think Giuliani has substantial character, from what I know about him and what he has demonstrated in times of need/crisis. I would vote for him. I hear Newt may be running, but I`m not sure he has the charisma to win, plus his past issues that would undoubtedly be a mudslinging festival.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information