Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys,

So, basically I currently own a $50 Casio watch that is giving me fits, and honestly I am sick of throwaway watches. That being said, I am a college student and don`t have a ton of money to spend on a TAG or something REALLY nice, so I`m looking at spending less than $200, less than $150 would be even better, but I`ve got some birthday and Christmas money to play with, plus my own cash.

I am pretty open, but I am looking for a few things, preferably automatic (no more batteries if I can help it), silver band, black or dark blue face with pretty simple features. Nothing too audicious or ostentatious, I really like a clean yet classy look. I am kind of leaning in the direction of this Invicta it seems to have the qualities I am looking for, but I am not particularly familiar with the Invicta watches. I know they aren`t high end, but I can`t afford a high end watch. I`ve been reading that the movement is decent, accurate to within 3-4 seconds over a few days, which is fine with me. I guess mostly I`m interested in your opinions or other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I own the Invicta 8926 with coin edge bezel (original design, rolex style), and for the small price, I actually really like it! It has the Miyota auto movement, which is supposed to be pretty reliable. Mine keeps good time, although running a couple minutes fast per month or so. It looks great and I have already received compliments on it (probably from people who thought it was a Rolly). I really like the watch, and have no faults with Invicta or this particular watch. The 8926 is one of their best sellers.

That being said, other options in the $150 range would be Orient (better quality than Invicta). They have a diver that looks just like the 8926 Invicta, and it happens to be right at $150. They are owned partly by Seiko and do all their own in-house work, unlike Invicta. Orient also has other really nice designs, although some are a bit outside your budget. Searching Orient watches on Google will get you to some sellers if you wish to browse their collection.

Also, check out Seiko autos. The Black Knight and Monsters can be had around your budget and these are highly regarded, even among watch collectors of multi-thousand $ pieces. They use Seiko`s 7s26 movement, which is strong and reliable, and generally keeps fairly good time, although most of times is fast.

Here is a good list of Seiko`s most popular designs, in case you`d like to learn more. http://www.orientalwatchsite.com/for...35d2299c46eac4

Also, check out Timex. They have a new automatic out that looks pretty cool, and it even has a power reserve function, which is rare in cheap-er autos. It goes for $150.

Out of all the watches mentioned, the Seiko`s will get you the most street cred, if you like that. If you don`t really care or want something a bit rarer, then the others will do just fine. I am wearing my Invicta 8926 today actually.

Happy Hunting!

Regards,

Mike
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Bulova. They have a pretty wide variety.

eWatches - Watches from Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Swiss Army, Skagen, Luminox, Tissot, and More! has some great prices on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Citizen. The Eco-Drive models use sunlight to recharge, and even though they have an analog face, with hands for day/date, etc., they know the month and year so they don`t need date changes even for leap year. I own two of them and both stay within about 30 seconds a year accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`d go with a Seiko. Best bang for the buck. I also own an Orient like mentioned above and it is super! I paid $243.00 with free shipping Orient Power Reserve Automatic Orient Star WZ0011FH like

It boils down to what you like style wise based on your budget. It`s not like you`re going to make a "bad" decision.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, check maker Ollech & Wajs. They are Swiss company that only does mail order. One guy sells some in the US. They were big in the 60`s and 70`s, closed up shop in the 90`s (with the popularity of quartz) and re-opened a few years ago. They are small. I`ve had e-mail conversation with Mr. Wajs in Switzerland. I feel good about these watches. Not some mass assembly lined production, but a unique, boutique type company with a strong, respected following among watch enthusiasts.

They make military grade, rugged, accurate watches, some in your price range. Some of there high end chronograph watches use the EXACT same Valjoux movements that Breitling uses in their multi thousand dollar watches

They make solid watches and many of our soldiers wore them in Vietnam after tossing the watches issued to them from Benrus and Hamilton. The O & W`s were much more durable and accurate. They were purchased in the PX exchanges.

Here are some from the US distributor. He has some cool watches if you would like to view the balance of the site:

M-65 Viet Nam hommage O & W watch

O & W NATO sub ETA 2824-2 w/date - same movement as the Submariner by TUDOR

British Pilot Military Style watch GENUINE ETA-2801 Now with SAPPHIRE

A bit more pricey (detail a couple cars for some extra $$$!), but:

M-6 GMT style - IN SAPPHIRE - Ollech & Wajs Military watch

O & W new M-5 Military Style watch GMT style

O & W Cougar bead blasted dive watch 200 m

The Ollech & Wajs Kartargo - limited supply

This one looks cool for $198.00: British Pilot watch manual wind quality movement ETA 2801

Hope this helps (or confuses you more!)
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is the hamilton khaki field line. I think they may have a couple in the sub-$200 range.

The Seiko 5 seris are also great watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s always Fossil.

I`ve been using Fossil watches for the past 7 or so years with no complaints. I usually only get a new one when mine gets too scratched up.
    2004 Titanium Pearl Mitsubishi Galant ES

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Seiko also. I`ve worn mine daily for 20 years now.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by natebood
    There`s always Fossil.

I`ve been using Fossil watches for the past 7 or so years with no complaints. I usually only get a new one when mine gets too scratched up.

I`ve had a pair of Fossils for like 6 years now and they`ve been great, but IMO they`re "played out" now, I see everyone with one, I`m looking for something a bit more rare right now so I`ll be watching this thread eagerly since I have about $150 to spend just like the original poster.

PS I left you feedback on the Trader Feedback thread, if you could reply back so others can see if they`re ever wary of dealing with me it would help, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMike

Here is a good list of Seiko`s most popular designs, in case you`d like to learn more. http://www.orientalwatchsite.com/for...35d2299c46eac4

Wow.

The Land/Flight/Marine Master watches are very nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    check overstock.com for nice prices on Seiko with cheap shipping
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    yep, the big O is a good place to check frequently for good Seiko deals, and also be sure to use coupon codes for anywhere between 10%-20% off. With the codes, I have scored a very nice Seiko 5 for very cheap! Bargain deal for a great quality watch!
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks guys. Spilchy, I`ll have to check out all those links, thanks a ton man. I just want something better than what I`ve got now that will last me for a good long while. Thanks for the help so far guys, keep the suggestions coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for a Seiko Automatic. For the price range youre talking about you can spring for the Seiko 5 Sport and some Seiko 5 Premiers, these are the 23 jewel 7s36 watches. The regular Seiko 5s have 21 jewels and are 7s26 (Im wearing mine today) and can be had for around $100 +/- $20. The Sports are $120+.

Good luck.
    -2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-

-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.

-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information