Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is a crew here that is interested in watches.

I dont want to post if I am incorrect.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many members here who appreciate watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 06 Panerai`s I got over the holidays. I would like to sell one.

I have a 1950 Luminor 8 days and a Luminor power reserve. To me, its like the same watch.

(I bought the 1950 while I was shopping for my wife`s x-mas gift and she ended up buying me the power reserve for x-mas)

I have a 04 Rolex Explorer II and a 01 Yacht Master. Ill never sell them, they were monumental purchases.

I am looking for an IWC Portuguese? Anyone have it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got about 20 watches of all makes and models. My big dogs are two Rolex`s; one Submariner from 1963 and the other an 18K tank style dress watch from the 1940`s.

I just purchased an Orient tonight with an exhibition case back and open heart dial. Orient is a very, very high quality 21 jewel automatic movement made in Japan. They are 52% owned by Seiko but the automatics are Orient`s own and built in house (not common anymore). They are not well known in the United States. I will be purchasing a tan alligator strap to replace the stainless bracelet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking watch. I have not seen an Orient before. I work with watch crazed people (when at a trading floor, my office is into the ususals)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I have the usuals; a TAG an Omega, etc... But it is the unique ones that I have that I like the most. I`ve got WW2 watches and rare Elgin Avigos that I search out not to mention pocket watches.

Many people like the watch because of the name (and no nothing about watches). Half the fun is owning a watch like a high end automatic Seiko that is just as good as the well known high end watches in regards to time keeping. My Dad just bought a beautiful $2000 Baume & Mercier and it has picked up 44 seconds in a week where as some of my much "cheaper" automatic watches are +/- 2 seconds!

The one thing the high end watches have is craftsmanship. The fit and finish on many of them is superb. My father`s new Baume & Mercer is awesome to look at: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...1929_431435218

In the end, like waxes, buy what is appealing to you, interests you and what you can afford.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been lucky with watches. And it is luck, I just buy what I like.

The Explorer II retails for $4850 now, I paid $3,050 2 years ago. The Yacht Master was about $6,500.00 in late 01, now they are $12,000+. Its ugly to me now, all that gold.

I have a Cartier Roadster (which I wear daily) that I got for peanuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    A watch runs on batteries.

A timepiece is automatic. And they tell terrible time......

If I didn`t have a cell phone, I`d be late to everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy fine watches as well. I have a Rolex two tone Submariner and a couple of Eterna 1958 KonTiki`s, one chronograph and one normal one.

I find quartz watchs to be "souless", they do a fine job but are boring. Mechanical watches are intricate miniature machines with "personalities".

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recently started collecting.... I dont have anything as high end as you guys speak of, yet. Ive recently been intrigued by this Hamilton Automatic and hopefully Ill pick one up this year.

So far I have 3 Seikos.. Seiko 5 Auto, Honda F1 Racing Special Edition Chrono, and gorgeous Seiko Premier Perp Cal. I also have a couple Citizens.. Eco Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater Perp Cal. and a Eco Drive Nighthawk with black ion plating.

Anyways.. its funny how good I can feel just by wearing a watch I really like. I cant wait to add more to the collection.
    -2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-

-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.

-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

Post Thanks / Like
    I am watch nut with everything from a Casio to a vintage Rolex Sea Dweller. I also like the Pams, own a 183 and am trying to find a deal on a 159.

Jsatek - check out Overstock.com for the IWC. Their selection varies, but I`ve seen Portugueses there. I was really tempted by their Portofinos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch collectors usually are into 2-3 different camps, the very exotics like Cartier, Vacheron etc..., swiss like Rolexes, IWCs, Breitliegs and Omegas etc... and then they are the Japanese watch crowd like Seikos, Orients, Citizens and Invictas etc... that are into affordable quality that is more interesting since there is more models and more affordable to collect, this is not to say that they do not have a high end like the Grand Seikos that are just as prestigise and as expensive as the Swiss brands, but just less known and less available to the general public. I like to collect and wear Seikos and Orients, since I can aquire a dozen of them for the cost of one Swiss without a large difference in quality is a big plus for me, but they all must be mechanical movement watches for me to own.

Currently my daily beater is a Seiko Black Knight, I also have a Seiko Samaurai and Black Monster, Orient diver and a slew of military watches like Sinn, SandY and Marathon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed,

I`m certainly with you on that. Well, with a login name like "seikoguy," I don`t think there`s any question as to which brand I prefer. I do own a number of European marques, but they don`t hold my interest as much anymore, unless they have their own inhouse movements. Most people are unaware that so many of the so-called Swiss watch companies don`t even make their own watches and outsource all manufacturing. Anyway, just a few of my Seikos:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seikoguy
    Most people are unaware that so many of the so-called Swiss watch companies don`t even make their own watches and outsource all manufacturing.

Bingo!

That`s why I like the Orients and purchased the one I linked to in my post above. 23 jewels, automatic, in house made, exhibition case back - all make for a nice piece. Plus, on the watch forums, I read very good things about it. Even though Seiko owns like 52% of Orient, their automatics are pure Orient.

My new one should arrive at the end of the week. I bought an alligator band to replace the stainless one. I`m not a fan of Japanese stainless bands or any other make besides my Rolex :grinno: There`s only one stainless king of my castle and that`s the Submariner. All other suckers kneel before him and are stripped of their metal
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a Tissot Le Locle, and it is keeping amazing time, and I feel it could be a COSC piece. My other automatics, while I love them, have not come close to the accuracy of the Tissot. BTW, the LeLocle is a really beautiful watch, and it goes well with a suit (my everyday wear at the office).

Orient is definitely a good value, that many do not know about. Several in the line pique my interest. Also, check out the newer Seiko 6R15 movements (Spirit line). For $200-$300, these are hand wound and hacking, and are great values too. The 6R15 is superior to the 7S26 (all Seiko 5s), which does not hack or hand wind. With Swiss ETA limiting the availability of their movements in the coming years, some are surmising if the 6R15 is gearing up (pun intended ) as its possible replacement.

Here is what my Tissot looks like. I really love the classic style, i.e. Romans and long slender hands. Really a very classy piece, IMO.

http://www.tissot.ch/?mod_collection.../action_select
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information