Thread: Back

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Back

Howdy gang,

I`m back from the hills of central PA limestone country. I`m a little water logged, not from wading the streams but more from the weather. Learned a couple things about rain gear;

1. You need it.
    2. Cheap rain gear means you get wet.
    3. If you wear a hat instead of using the hood on your rain gear you better roll up the hood otherwise it fills with water then the first time you bend over to release a fish all the water in the hood drains down the back of your shirt.
    4. Never buy raingear without a detachable or stowaway hood.
    5. If it can`t be packed small enough to fit in the back of your fishing vest its worthless.
    6. Clipping a drying patch and license holder onto cheap rain gear makes it no longer waterproof.
    7. Cheap rain gear sucks.
    8. Don`t be a cheapskate....spend the $$ for good raingear.
    9. The 4-Star Premium Drying towel stows nicely into a fishing vest and drys a bald head as well as it drys a car. And no lint!
    10. If you don`t bring your rain gear it will certainly rain.

Despite the weather I had a geat time. Managed to get two nights of rainfree fishing along with the full day of rainsoaked fishing on Saturday and also Sunday morning. Caught some nice streamborn brown trout, got to spend time is beautiful countryside and mountains, drank a few suds and basically cleared my head for a few days.

For any other flyfishermen here at DC, the bug life in central PA is astounding. This is my third year going out there and I`m still amazed at the diversity of aquatic insect life (which makes for happy, well fed trout). One night we had a blizzard hatch of March Brown spinners. It looked like a cloud was hovering over the stream and the bugs were so thick that every cast of the rod would knock a few dozen out of the air! Oddly enough, catching trout in those conditions is very tough since your imatation fly is competing with millions of naturals. After fishing the hatch for a little while I just had to sit on a rock and admire the natural spectacle that was happening around me. Of course, knowing me I sat in poisen ivy.

Wish I could say it`s good to be back but I would be lying. My head isn`t really back yet, it`s still streamside.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Admin may want a picture of "other" uses for the 4-Star Premium Drying towel ....
    Good to have you back
    jeff

Boss_429

Talking

Natty,

Good stuff on the rain gear, but please, no pictures of the drying towel and it`s "other" use!

I know the feeling about the insect life on the Limestones streams of Central Pa. I can remember standing along side the creek a few miles below Poe Paddy State Park one June evening watching an incredible hatch of Light Cahills, and Sulphur Duns at the same time! Couldn`t catch a fish to save my life, and every fish in the stream was feeding............. so, I just sat back and watched!

Anyhow, great to have you back, and take care of the poison ivy!

Thread Information