Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    With Christmas around the corner, Im in the market for a laptop for my 16 yr old son. It`s only fair as we purchased a desktop for my oldest when he was 16. (I still have 3 years to go for the daughter). Has anyone recently purchased a decent laptop lately that could shed a little light for me? I currently use a Compaqe Presario for my business, which has been a great computer, but I purchased that about 16 months ago for around $1,200.00. I would like to find something with about 80 Gig HD, 1.2 ram, C/D-DVD burner, and some of the other basics. I fig`s nowadays, i could find that for about 1/2 of what I spent.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Sony Vaio laptop and it has been good for me. We spent $1,200 on it last fall and it has the following:

1.8 ghz processor

512 mb ram

80 gb hard drive

My first suggestion was going to be an Apple but then the price goes even higher. One thing to keep in mind is though you may spend more money than you want, you could look into a computer that will last and able to upgrade if necessary. With college just a couple years down the road you will not need to purchase another one then.

Just my .02

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t go wrong with a Dell. Customer service sucks, obviously, but I frequently work with Dell desktops and laptops and their quality control is top notch.

You may just want to go to the website and play around with their laptop configuration picker. I`d avoid those bulky 15.4"+ widescreen models since they suck down batteries and really take away from the portability factor of a laptop. Friend of mine got a very nice XPS-M with a 14.1" screen for around $1000 and it had the specs that you pointed out.

Post Thanks / Like
    We`ve been pretty happy with the Dell Inspiron.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Toshiba Satelite A100 customized through their website. I paid 1800 but I got a ton of upgrades that probably wasnt even needed.

Here is the link to Toshiba Notebooks, Laptops and Tablet PCs - Toshiba

15.4 inch wide screen, 2.0ghz dual core, gig of ram, 100gig memory space, 128mb video ram, finger print reader, dual touch pad, harmon/kardon built in speakers, etc etc. I love it. I havent had any problems with it so i havent had any experience with customer service. I looked at the dell and what turned me away instantly was the cheap materials used for it. The build quality of the toshiba seems MUCH better. You can probably get what I have and spend less money as I believe the price has dropped. Also if you dont load up options like I did then it will be even less.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truzoom
    Can`t go wrong with a Dell. Customer service sucks, obviously, but I frequently work with Dell desktops and laptops and their quality control is top notch.

You may just want to go to the website and play around with their laptop configuration picker. I`d avoid those bulky 15.4"+ widescreen models since they suck down batteries and really take away from the portability factor of a laptop. Friend of mine got a very nice XPS-M with a 14.1" screen for around $1000 and it had the specs that you pointed out.

I upgraded my battery to compensate the larger screen as I have a 15.4 inch laptop. I use my laptop as a home computer as well as taking it to school. The upgraded battery I heard doubles the life of the normal one that comes with it.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my Dell Inspiron Shipped for 1300, but I also upgraded the hard drive and also had a few other small upgrades. I highly recommend in and suggest buying the full warranty.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01bluecls
    I have a Toshiba Satelite A100 customized through their website. I paid 1800 but I got a ton of upgrades that probably wasnt even needed.

Here is the link to Toshiba Notebooks, Laptops and Tablet PCs - Toshiba

15.4 inch wide screen, 2.0ghz dual core, gig of ram, 100gig memory space, 128mb video ram, finger print reader, dual touch pad, harmon/kardon built in speakers, etc etc. I love it. I havent had any problems with it so i havent had any experience with customer service. I looked at the dell and what turned me away instantly was the cheap materials used for it. The build quality of the toshiba seems MUCH better. You can probably get what I have and spend less money as I believe the price has dropped. Also if you dont load up options like I did then it will be even less.

Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but I believe most laptops are now produced for each company by the same company in China. The way the shell is designed may make one appear to be better built, but in the end they`re all just plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 regarding Dell. Right now at home we have 4 Dell desktops and a Dell Inspiron laptop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, you can check out Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and go to their laptop section... just thought I`d throw one more option in here

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this thread i started awhile ago.. http://autopia.org/forum/hot-tub/718...-opinions.html
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 01. The links you provided arent valid anymore. And even some of the puters mentioned are no longer available. I do appreciate it, but puters are upgraded faster then microfibers around here.

Keep the info coming. This will have to be a budget puter being as I have 3 kids to buy for evey Christmas!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    have you tried looking on cnet? I have a 2 year old toshiba and it hasn`t given me any problems, but its more of a desktop replacement and the battery life isn`t great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this to the wrong thread a minute ago- sometimes I can be a doofus but it`s in the right thread now:

A Toshiba is a possibility.

They recently upgraded their repair services, an old criticism. Their upgrade path to a much quicker turn-around repair time is mentioned in `The Earth is Flat` by Friedman. An interesting read.

The lad will want a large hard drive, the dvd burning, wireless, lan, 17 inch widescreen with the `clearview` screen as a minimum. Weight might not be a factor hence the 17 inch suggestion and it`ll fit in a backpack anyway.

I bought one at Staples about 8 months ago, an almost discontinued model with all those options, about 1100 Canadian, which would translate to sub 1000 usd.

Something to keep in mind. (It`s been a winner)

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you want to get him a laptop. At 16 there`s probably not a lot of places he needs or should be with a laptop. Desktops are cheaper and more powerful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information