Post Thanks / Like
    I`m actually looking into getting a second job, and I was just thinking about how many hours a week I will be putting in. I`m currently doing right about 50 hours a week at my current job and would be looking to pick up around 30 at a second job. My current gig is a Monday through Friday deal from 7:30am to 5 (or whatever time we finish). I`m thinking two 8 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday and then split up the rest of the hours on a few weeknights. I`d pretty much be working 80 hours a week. Obviously, I`ll have to make some lifestyle changes, but my purpose would be to save as much money as I can so that I can get back to school without taking any loans. My credit score is very high, but I am just not a person who can really handle having a bunch of debt (mentally, it just bothers me). I`ve got some schooling under my belt, but have not yet gotten even an associates degree, but I paid for it all and I owe nothing.

I guess I`m asking whether or not it sounds like a good idea, and who better to ask then 10,000 people who dont know me at all, right?

If ya think it`s a stupid idea, then please shoot it down....I`m not asking for only positive replies.

Thanks guys,

Wade
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    i suppose you can try it, but 80 hours sounds like it would burn someone out.

i was talking to my mom the other day, she told me "people don`t ever want to take out loans for school . they would pay 50k for a car over 6 years and then after 6 years get another one and pay another 50k but they will not want to do the same for an education no one could ever take away"

my advice, get a loan. that`s what i did. there is nothing wrong with it. everyone does it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ifoam
    i suppose you can try it, but 80 hours sounds like it would burn someone out.

i was talking to my mom the other day, she told me "people don`t ever want to take out loans for school . they would pay 50k for a car over 6 years and then after 6 years get another one and pay another 50k but they will not want to do the same for an education no one could ever take away"

my advice, get a loan. that`s what i did. there is nothing wrong with it. everyone does it

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Both my cars are paid for. Paid cash for my DD and inherited the SS. I hear what you`re saying though. Anybody else? There has got to be SOMEONE on here that has more than 1 job.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Try it and find out if you can handle it. It sounds like you aren`t married, so now is the time. If you can handle working two full time jobs, it`s worth it IMO. Not only will you probably save thousands in interest, but it will give you such a big head start towards retirement. Just do a little scenario here. Say you work for two years saving $50K, then go to school and graduate in three years. You are out in the workforce in five years with no debt. Conversly, if you got a loan, and went to school now, you get out of school two years earlier but you also have a $50K debt plus interest which would probably bring the total to at least $60K. So you are looking at paying back $6K a year, or $500 a month. Say you end up getting married when you graduate, and buy a house, and now have a household savings of $500 a month after expenses. If you don`t have a school loan, you can save that $500 a month. And just calculate what $500 a month could be in a mutual fund that grows 10% a year. On the other side of the coin, you take out that loan, there goes all your savings toward the loan. So then you have to wait ten years to start saving that $500 a month. Sure, getting out of school a couple years earlier will help put a dent in that loan, but not very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you should start talking to the people at the colleges or univesities you are looking at. They can be a lot of help in trying to figure out if you will be able to recieve financial assistance. You would be surprised what is out there for people to recieve.

Good luck to you, hopefully everything works out....Also, look into placement rates, and career services help. Also try to see if you can find out where people are getting hired and what not.

**To answer your question I work 30-40 hours a week and attend school full time. I take 3 online courses which go at a quick pace to get them done in 7 weeks, and I am taking one on campus class for 15 weeks. The online classes help so I can work and still keep up with school but I would lean against that option if your putting in 80 hours a week as they usually keep you busy because it is faster paced. I usually have papers to write every week ranging from 3-4 pages for each class and then active during the week in discussion boards with the class. Hope this gives you a little insight into it all...

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a chance you could qualify for some grants that won`t have to be repaid. Coming from a person who was to repay student loans, I think you`d be doing something very smart by paying for as much as you possibly can without getting any debt.

As far as the number of hours worked...that`s really up to how much you can handle. 80 hours is a TON, but it may not bother you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any way you can avoid debt now is a good thing. Work, save, then try not to work as much when you are actually in school. Way too many people in this country accept life with mountains of debt as the way things are done. Listen to Dave Ramsey for one afternoon and all the people that call in to that show and see where debt takes you. Good luck in school and paying NOW and not LATER!
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve already decided to sacrifice my life once I get out of college. Being in the hospitality industry, I will probably be working 70 hour weeks.

Just hope it gets better from there. I highly doubt it though.
    Mobile Auto Detailing

-Tu Nguyen

Thread Information