Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My car died in the parking lot, fortunately a guy pulled up and helped me jump my car. The battery in my 2000 Honda Accord has never been changed so I think it`s time. I read in Consumer Reports that Interstate($90) was the best rated for my car (I think it`s Group 21 or 24) and that Everlast($45) was a best buy. I don`t have a system and need a battery for the four seasons in Jersey. Any thoughts on these batteries or suggestions?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The Interstate probably won`t last twice as long as the Everlast, but the convenience of longer life might make it worthwhile to you.

Either way, $45 or $90 is not a lot of money to spend on a car. It`s like a tank or two of gas...
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you looked at AutoZones Red and Yellow tops? I`ve heard a lot of positives on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know much about car batteries but it makes sense that the convience of having longer life. My only thing is if I`m going to spend $90 why not spend the the extra for the Optima. I really don`t want to pay that much.

I haven`t checked out the Autozone but I will now. There are not many places online to find reviews about car batteries.

Any thoughts on Exide or Die Hard?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a battery at wal mart 6 years ago for my firewood hauling truck and never had a problem with it..even in sub zero weather.......I got rid of it last year..and the battery was still cranking like new...5 years old...I paid 49.00 ..it was a 72 month battery with a 3 year replacement..I found info on it online somewhere on a car info site..they are made by a top battery company...forgot the name..

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    optima yellow top is my choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve had a sears diehard battery in my last car and it worked great. my mechanic is all about interstate batteries...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinager
    optima yellow top is my choice.

That`s my first choice for keepers, especially cars that don`t get driven all that often. But they don`t make `em to fit every application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Autozone Gold. I got 4 1/2 years out of one in my Honda and I`ve never had a battery here or in Arizona make it past 3 years. Plus the damn thing had 1000 cranking amps, 800 when cold.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I could chime in here since I worked at an Interstate Battery store for about a year, but I`m not going to push brands.

I`ve pointed this out in previous threads concerning batteries, so I`ll mention it again. You shouldn`t necessarily pick a battery by the label because of all industries, it seems that batteries in particular are big on private labeling. The "big 3" of automotive batteries right now are Johnson Controls, Exide, and Delphi. Those 3 combined probably private label for roughly 1,000+ names (including dealerships, tire places, and non-consumer applications).

Each company has its own way of designing batteries and for the most part, you are getting a good product from any company. Delphi seems to love manufacturing maintenance-free batteries, while Exide and JCI stick to low-maintenance. The difference is obvious, but if you are curious about how your battery is performing, then go with low-maintenance so you can remove the vent caps to hydrometer each cell.

The BIG point when you buy a battery is the type of warranty it comes with and how knowledgable XX company is about troubleshooting battery problems in the future. It seems the standard warranty is around 65-75 months for a middle line model, usually with a free replacement period somewhere in there and the rest is pro-rated for a new replacement. If you go shopping, I`d make sure to fully understand the warranty and get an idea of the pro-rate prices per month. Basically, if you`re on the very last month of the pro-rate, don`t expect there to be a >$10 difference between going with the pro-rate or buying a new one at retail.

Depending on where you buy your battery, you may want to get a 2nd opinion from another employee on what battery you need, or check the book yourself (speaking from an employee standpoint, it is easy to overlook the reversed terminals, especially when you`re a new employee). Since you have a import, the terminals are probably reversed and as you mentioned a group 24, but it could be a 35 (same height as 24, not quite as wide), or even a 51 (these seem to be more in Civics). You can either have them install it or you can do it yourself; in either case, get the clamps cleaned of any corrosion, and it wouldn`t hurt to spray on some corrosion protector.

As for the Optimas, that`s really your call if you want to spend the money. I`d personally go with a Red Top in a regularly driven vehicle because the Yellow Top is a waste of money if you don`t actually plan on running high-drain electronics off it. I guess the media has people thinking the Yellow Top is king..

Just remember that heat is the biggest enemy of a car battery. If your factory battery came with a fiberglass heat sleeve, USE IT-- there`s a gradient of typical battery life in the US, and the numbers just get smaller as you go from Montana to Texas.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Autozone Gold. I got 4 1/2 years out of one in my Honda and I`ve never had a battery here or in Arizona make it past 3 years. Plus the damn thing had 1000 cranking amps, 800 when cold.

Exactly. People always say this one or that one, but in Texas it doesn`t matter what you get it ain`t gonna last too long.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    I run Red Tops in all my vehicles. Never had a problem with them. You do need to do a little measuring to make sure it fits.

Try Remy Battery, they have great prices and no tax unless you live in WI.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work at AAP, sold about five AutoCraft Silver and Titanium batteries today.

My next battery will definitely be an Optima.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input. Truzoom that`s some great info, I had no idea that the battery industry had a big 3. The two batteries I am leaning towards are manufactured by JC. I really think Optimas battery is overkill for my situation but I could be wrong. I only live 2 miles away from my job so from what I`ve read short trips cause a lot of strain on the batteries. Also living in South Jersey the hot summers and cold winters seem to be a factor. Any way I`m basically leaning towards the WalMart Everstart and Autozone Duralast? Since they are made by the same company I would guess that they are basically the same battery with the same specs. I would guess that the only difference would be price, right? Now with my short trips and four seasons should I spend the extra money on the 3 year full replacement battery or just go with the cheaper, by about $25, 2 year full replacement battery? Duralast or Everstart? Thanks again everyone for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can Wal-Mart test batteries, because if they can`t how would they ever know that a battery was dead? Couldn`t someone just go up before their warranty expires, present a reciept and say it`s dead? Not that I would go through the trouble, but I wonder if they would know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information