it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know photography has been getting kinda popular on here, and since there are a couple guys looking to step into the realm of dSLR, I figured I`d post this up. Canon officially announced today the new successor to the Digital Rebel XT/350D. It looks like it will be a total hit considering it`s specifications and price (I`ve heard $800 for body only). It looks like they made this to compete with the new Nikon D80, even though there not exactly on the same page. Heres a quick look at the new Digital Rebel XTi, which should be in stores in a couple weeks.

-10.1 Megapixel CMOS and Digic II image processor

-2.5" LCD screen

-EOS Integrated Cleaning System including a Self Cleaning Sensor Unit

I`m really hoping this camera will drive down the prices of the 20D, so I can get one of them; although this one is tempting especially with the self cleaning sensor.

In addition to the new Digital Rebel XTi, they also released two new L lenses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, that self-cleaning sensor is a great feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a 50 1.0??? that should be sweet...

also no upgrade on the 100-400 BOOOO

Huray BEER

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick
    Is that a 50 1.0??? that should be sweet...

also no upgrade on the 100-400 BOOOO

Huray BEER

Pictured is the 70-200mm f/4L IS and below is the 50mm f/1.2L.

Patrick you still got Photokina coming up, Canon will hopefully have a couple more tricks up their sleeves..lol

You still never answered me, did you take the plunge on the 100-400mm L IS, or did you just rent one?

Post Thanks / Like
    For the Price, its awesome. I can possibly afford the XTi by next spring...the Canon 30D I really wants pushes about $1500. The XTi is probably best camera for hobby amateurs like me. Nikon gives Canon close running for the money and quality, so Im looking at that line-up as well. It seems Canon has more choices of lenses as well.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh good to see the US edition pictures! Thanks Johnny as always for the photo info; I was keepeing an eye on DPReview and DDR forums when the 400D pictures first came available and I became a bit depressed that my newly purchased 350 is obsolete . (I knew going into it that a new model will be coming out). However, I`m shocked that Canon went with the 10 MP upgrade over the 8 since the 30D remained the same. Either way, I still feel that the 350/Rebel XT is the best purchase right now for buyers and prices should be outstanding for a 350 come the 400`s release.

Consider the Pros to an upgrade:

- 2MP Increase

- Self-Cleaning Sensor (one feature I`d love)

- Larger LCD

- Probably small asthetics but if they upped the build quality, this may be a huge factor

(Note: Still No Spot Metering)

Price:

400D/Rebel XTi: ~800.00ish Body Only

350D/Rebel XT: ~550.ish Body Only (Currently It`s Now about 650ish but I was able to purchase it for the 550 and figure the clearance pricing will probably be around there)

Is it worth an estimate of 250.00? Possibly, but it`ll sure be nice for people getting into photography at a budget!

On a side note, I LOVE my 135mm IS lens Johnny although I am tempted to move to an L lens. (Although I had to go through three copies of the 135mm until I had a proper lens)
    - Garrett

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    GMCloud: Ya that kinda blows that this just came out right after you got your XT.

I still don`t think the improvements are that significant to justify upgrading. Unless you plan on blowing up your pictures to huge poster sizes, which not many people do, or you crop your pictures like a manic, the 8MP should be more then enough for you. The bigger LCD screen is nice, but I find mine fine. I think the self cleaning feature is really cool, but I`ve had my camera, and two lenses and haven`t had a need to clean the sensor, no visible dust on my images. I think as long as your careful with where and how you mount them, as well as storage you should be OK. The improvements are nic,e and the price is right if your looking to get one, but not worth the price jump from a 350D IMO. Heck, I see people with the original Digital Rebel (6.3 MP) turn out some incredibly beautiful shots. Remember your images rely more on your glass then the body.

I`m really hoping this new camera combined with the 30D lowers the 20D significantly, so I can get one pretty cheap, although it will probably be some time.

I`m also glad you enjoy your 28-135mm, even though you had to go through 2 other copies. I honestly would have gotten a new lens if I had that much trouble. It`s a nice lens though if your on a budget and only want one lens mounted to your body. I`ve been having a lot fun with my new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 even though I haven`t taken it out in a while. Compared to my 28-135mm it`s SOO much more wider even though it`s only 11mm.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01bluecls
    For the Price, its awesome. I can possibly afford the XTi by next spring...the Canon 30D I really wants pushes about $1500. The XTi is probably best camera for hobby amateurs like me. Nikon gives Canon close running for the money and quality, so Im looking at that line-up as well. It seems Canon has more choices of lenses as well.

Chris:

You should consider the 20D if you want a 30D. The improvements really aren`t too major between the two, and you can probably get one around $1k, prob cheaper if you go used from a reputable vendor. I like Nikon too, and think they and Canon are at the top; with Canon having an edge. I guess you can say I`ve been turned into a Canon zealot, but I feel I`m right...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a Nikon fan myself. Been using my D70 a lot lately and love it. I really don`t like the ergonomics of the Rebel series of cameras, they are so small and feel a tad cheap IMO. Now the 20D and up... Those are some quite nice cameras.

As far as lenses, I really don`t feel that either company has the edge. The new Rebel looks to be pretty sweet, but I think I`m going to upgrade to the D80.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcazmo
    I`m a Nikon fan myself. Been using my D70 a lot lately and love it. I really don`t like the ergonomics of the Rebel series of cameras, they are so small and feel a tad cheap IMO. Now the 20D and up... Those are some quite nice cameras.

As far as lenses, I really don`t feel that either company has the edge. The new Rebel looks to be pretty sweet, but I think I`m going to upgrade to the D80.

Agreed 100% on the build quality on the Rebel... Before purchasing it, I had a tough time deciding between a D70s or the XT and I loved the feel and build quality of the D70s but there were a lot of things I liked about the Rebel and I knew if I waited for the D80, I`d be angry since I only use CF and it`d be a big hit to me financially if I were to sell them (Extreme III`s). There was also the price difference: a little under 300.00...

I am though, very very very tempted on a 30D... After reading the prelim on Steves-digicams for the 400D, I`m tempted to purchase either now. There`s also some slight speculation of another upgrade after the 30D for using the Digic III processor and upping the MP. The 400D`s upgrade to 10MP may increase noise however :/ (also speculation from the photo community)

To add to the feature list of upgrades is that the 400D`s burst memory is almost doubled! (And I thought it was fast enough as it was...) I don`t however, like the AIO LCD and like having my separate LCD for camera info.
    - Garrett

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDaJackal
    Pictured is the 70-200mm f/4L IS and below is the 50mm f/1.2L.

Patrick you still got Photokina coming up, Canon will hopefully have a couple more tricks up their sleeves..lol

You still never answered me, did you take the plunge on the 100-400mm L IS, or did you just rent one?

i BOUGHT IT USED FOR 1000

Thread Information