Post Thanks / Like
    i was just curious... i`ve been contemplating buying one (thought i never would), because half the time the cd`s skip (i make burned copies for the car) because they get scratched, and it just seems trouble some taking a cd out and putting a new one in every 45 minutes and not to mention it takes too much space in the cd holder that can only hold so much. i don`t plan on putting every cd on the ipod (have over 300+ cd`s), just a fair amount with some variety (jazz - indie rock - etc ). any recommendations on a GOOD (not to expensive) one and what connection(s)/adapter(s) i will need to play it in the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty it depends on how many songs you plan to put on it and how much you plan on using it. I`ll give you a run down from the Apple store:

NANO 1GB - $149 (~240 Songs)

NANO 2GB - $199 (~500 Songs)

NANO 4GB - $249 (~1000 Songs)

Regular Sized 30GB - $299 (~7,500 Songs)

Regular Sized 60GB - $399 (~15,000 Songs)

So it`s really up to you on what to buy, as for the car adaptor here`s a few:

If you have a casette player you can use this - Casette Adapter - Best Buy

If you don`t you can use this - iTrip - Best Buy

My friend had both so I can vouch for each, they worked great. His casette adapter was a bit cheaper so we did have trouble with it after 6 months or so but the iTrip has been working fault-free for a very long time now.

Hope this helps, if these are too expensive you can always go check out other name brands, ebay or there seems to be better deals on the refurbished models. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with this option and I use it mainly as an MP3 player.

PocketDish AV402E

20 gigs for $149. There`s a $50 rebate on top of that for Dish customers, but it`s still a great deal either way. I don`t think you have to be a Dish customer to buy it without the rebate, but I won`t swear to it. I also use it as a pocket hard drive and to play the downloadable games.

BTW, my car has both a factory CD changer and a cassette deck, so in the car I just use an adapter that plugs into the tape deck. Otherwise I`d use one of the FM transmitters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2GB Nano and I`ve never been able to fill it up. It`s incredibly small and with my ever-changing playlist, I never have a problem with space.

I had it hooked up in my Integra, but am holding off in my `G` now until I get bored of Sirius and MP3 CDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you planning to get a new headunit? If so, in my opinion, Alpine has the quickest interface for use with an ipod. I have had great success using this with a 30gb ipod. I was in the same situation you were and never intended to get an ipod however my cds kept getting scratched as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2 GB mini and use it with the BMW car kit. If your car has a kit available for a proper interface I would highly recommend the setup. My Ipod connects via a wire in the glove box. The car batter keeps it charged and I can control the ipod / select the songs via the radio and steering wheel controls. It`s behave just like a factory CD changer for a good analogy.

If you go with a quick connect kit, you still have to use the ipod to change songs,etc and worry about keeping it charged. You`ll also have to mount it in plain site and if you forget about could get your car broken into.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 30 gig Ipod photo with an iTrip. I absolutely love the thing. Now, like most people, I never thought I would even come close to filling it, but I`m already close to 18gig used with just over 3000 songs. I absolutely love it and would never again think about going on a road trip without it.

You can get a 30 gig iPod video on Amazon for like $280, and an iTrip is about 30ish. The iTrip sucks the battery life more quickly than just using headphones, but even with the iTrip I can easily get 12 hours of battery life out of it, and a car adaptor to power/charge it is like only $20.

Getting an ipod and car accessories was one of the best decisions I`ve ever made IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    if anyone else would like to chime in please do so, and thanks for the opinions thus far everyone! :hifive:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have a 30GB iPod video and love it!!! I dl a bunch of podcasts and it makes my commute fly by -- I will never go back to not having one. I currently use the Sony tape adapter and it works great, though at really loud volumes I notice a little `hiss`, nothing major though.

I`m looking at picking up the OEM VW iPod kit, then my next car will have an adapter in the HU.

Post Thanks / Like
    that settles it, my b-day and x-mas is a coming and it will be on one of those lists!

Post Thanks / Like
    Take advantage of Circuit City or Best Buys return policy and try different interfaces to connect to your cars radio. I tried most of the FM transmitter and just could not stand the hissing. I went with the auxiliary interface (USA Specs) for my mini ipod and LOVE IT!!! It`s the closest thing to CD quality that I have come across for my Ipod. It`s the best money I have spent and never plan on going back to CDs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zUMljIA...pFwEAN*l5TjIIi

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twopu
    Take advantage of Circuit City or Best Buys return policy and try different interfaces to connect to your cars radio. I tried most of the FM transmitter and just could not stand the hissing. I went with the auxiliary interface (USA Specs) for my mini ipod and LOVE IT!!! It`s the closest thing to CD quality that I have come across for my Ipod. It`s the best money I have spent and never plan on going back to CDs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zUMljIA...pFwEAN*l5TjIIi

I agree, don`t waste the money on a FM transmitter. I have a peripheral Ipod2Car and love it!!! Best sound and I`m able to change songs with my steering wheel control to boot!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m running a new Alpine deck with the ipod interface. I put the ipod in the glovebox and then control everything from the Alpine. Sound quality is great because it`s a direct connection.

I love it, over 5000 songs at my fingertips!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimvegas00
    I`m running a new Alpine deck with the ipod interface. I put the ipod in the glovebox and then control everything from the Alpine. Sound quality is great because it`s a direct connection.

I love it, over 5000 songs at my fingertips!

+2.

Alpine + Ipod + huge music colleciton = :2thumbs:

Tip: Smart Playlists RULE.

Thread Information