Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boss_429

Exclamation Important Security Information

Thought I would post something that`s actually "useful" for a change.

If you get a lot of “spy ware” on your computer, it can slow it down and cause some other issues, which is mostly just an inconvenience. Although, some of this "spy ware" can capture information that you might not want captured. The information provided below will help in this case too.

If you get a virus, it can be bad enough to have to re-format your hard drive and re-install the operating system and all other software. Again, this is more of an inconvenience... a bit more of an inconvenience if you have other important information on the computer...... and no backup!

Now, if a hacker manages to hack into your computer or the computer is physically stolen, your personal information can be accessed quite easily. That is another story altogether! Identity theft can destroy a person’s life!

On that note, I thought I would pass along some valuable information that can help prevent such a hacker or thief from doing irreparable damage to your financial well being.

Therefore, here we go……….

I am sure everyone knows that any high-speed connections (broadband) should go through personal firewall software. It is also a good idea for dialup connections. This will help, but there is more you can do, and should do, to be “safer”. Remember, hackers are usually one step ahead of the software folks.

Many of you use “auto-complete” for many of your surfing chores. While this is a somewhat of a “tiny” time-saver, it can also be a hacker’s dream-come-true! In order for Windows to perform that function, it needs to “store” that information on your computer. Information that is stored on your computer can be “hacked”. The next time you see “auto-complete” fill in your SS# or your credit card# as you start to type when you are doing some on-line shopping... think about it! If you see “auto-complete” fill in your user-id and password as you start to type them in at your on-line banking site or some other important site…………….. think about it again!!!

Anyhow, here are some things you can do to protect yourself:

If you are using a recent version of Internet Explorer:

Select the Tools option from the menu.
    First, select the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down through the list and un-check these options:
    Use inline AutoComplete for Web addresses
    Use inline AutoComplete for Windows Explorer

Then select the Content tab.
    Then select the AutoComplete button.
    Then UN-CHECK the box next to: Web-addresses, Forms, and User Names and Passwords on Forms. (Forms & User Names/Passwords on forms...for sure)
    Then select the Clear Forms and Clear Passwords buttons to clear any existing information.
    Now select OK and return to the Content tab.
    Select the My Profile button.
    You will now see some (but not all) of the information that is stored on your computer. I select every tab and clear all the information.

If you are using the latest FireFox:

Select the Tools menu option.
    Then select Options.
    Then select Saved Form Information.
    Un-check the box “Save information I enter in web page forms and the Search Bar”
    Then select Saved Passwords.
    Un-check the box Remember Passwords

If you are using the latest Opera:

Select the Tools menu option.
    Select Preferences.
    Select Personal Information and clear all fields.
    Select Security.
    In the Security section, you can setup a master password for your other passwords. It is a bit of a pain, but it is something to consider.

Other tips:

With any browser, make it a point to clear your cache after ANY on-line buying experience.

Find out how to mange the cookies on your computer. Make it a point to check them and remove only the ones you need. I delete all of mine frequently to be on the safe side.

Keep all your web software and protective software up to date………… PERIOD!

In the end, some of the above will cause you some inconveniences. Yes, auto-complete will not do anything for you if you turn it off. You will also have to actually remember you user-id’s/passwords for sites you frequent. However, if the above information saves just one person from identity theft it will be worth it. Of course, those people will never know………… cause they have managed to avoid it.

Hope some people find this useful. Also, anybody that needs any additional info or help......... let me know, or post it in this thread.

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Important Security Information

Thanks for the great writeup and tips

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    Alpine CDM-9803/Alpine MRP-F306/Crossfire TEK 35.2/Stock Speakers/JL Audio 10W3D2
    MODS: 31" BFG AT/KO

Boss_429

Your welcome!

Another thing here. Even if you are using another browser other than IE (or IE has been removed from your computer), your personal information may still be stored on the computer. Microsoft stores a lot of that information in software on your computer called Microsoft Profile (amoung other places)

Therefore, even if you are not using IE, go through the process defined previously to "clean" those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Can somebody explain to me how Bill Gates can create a faulty product and be the richest man in the world?

Boss_429

Quote Originally Posted by shotime
    Can somebody explain to me how Bill Gates can create a faulty product and be the richest man in the world?
    Yes.......... Bill Gates can!

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips. People dont pay enough attention to their computers.

I build my own computers, so i have a partition with only windows, AOL, ect. Stuff that i dont mind re-installing.

On a seperate partition i have all my p2p stuff.

Then i have other stuff on another one.

I re format windows about every 6-9 months, and i can do it in 40+ minutes or so, with the few programs i have on that side.

I think everyone should already know about Adawre SE personal v. 1.5 by now. Spy Bot, i use CCleaner also.

With programs like this , you can effectively manage your cookies, and with CCleaner, just push "clean" and all the unwanted stuff goes away.

Boss_429

Also good tips Jeff!

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Good info. Here`s another: Always close popups from the taskbar, right clicking and choosing "close window". I had one the other day that I forgot to do that with and it moved (like intentionally jumped) when I clicked the "X" , and I had to spend two hours cleaning the Slotch hijacker off my computer at work.

And, run not just one or two, but three spyware killers: Adaware, Sbybot, and MS Spyware Remover. The MS version isn`t a MS developed program: it`s something they bought, and it works very well with the other two. It has the advantage of being able to block downloads even when you haven`t removed the spyware completely. Ever remove something with Adaware, only to have it still be there the next time you run it? MS Spyware remover will block the connection from your computer to the spyware server.

When you remove spyware and hijackers, run your removal programs in "safe" mode. Turn off "system restore", and disconnect from the internet and from any networks. After removing the spyware, reboot and run them again, in safe mode; then reboot and run them in regular mode. When the spyware no longer reappears reboot, and then turn on system restore. Then... reboot, and run your removal programs AGAIN. The worst spyware installs itself as a Windows shell, which means that it operates at the operating system level, and uses the "system restore" feature to keep itself active. There is a registry key that triggers a reinstall every time you try to remove it. By running in safe mode, and with the system restore feature turned off, you can remove most common spyware.

Other useful tools: CWShredder, for if you get the "Cool Web Search" homepage hijacker, and HijackThis. HijackThis will give a readout of all active processes; non-advanced users can go to a forum such as Spyware Info, paste their HijackThis log, and get information on what to do next. The service is free, but a Paypal donation might be a nice gesture.

How does Mosca know these things? Mosca has a teenaged daughter. Mosca has experienced, "Dad, there`s something wrong with my computer!", and seen a flashing cursor on a black screen, with the message "cannot find config.sys", and the explanation, "Well, I was trying to download this game, and I got the message that I had too much anti virus stuff running, and that I should turn it off...."

Mosca knows.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Make it easy, get a Mac.
    Triple Honda Owner

Boss_429

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    Make it easy, get a Mac.
    I`m sure the people at Mac agree. Not a real good option for the other 99% of the people with PC`s?

Post Thanks / Like

one point to add to this - Try using only one credit card online. It will be much easier to deal with if you have a problem.

And while all this is helpful - most identity thefts and credit card thefts still come from old fashioned ways like possing as a valid business and purchasing credit information from checkpoint or bribing an employee at equifax or making a copy of the magnetic strip your customer just gave you to pay his restaurant bill ...
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Boss_429

Dalmore,

Good point! I always use the same credit card for anything I buy online and I keep it paid off. Then after a year or so, or several uses, I cancel the card and get a different one. As a matter of fact, we never keep any of our cards for a long time.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boss_429
    Dalmore,

Good point! I always use the same credit card for anything I buy online and I keep it paid off. Then after a year or so, or several uses, I cancel the card and get a different one. As a matter of fact, we never keep any of our cards for a long time.
    FWIW, Some credit card companies will issue you a CC number for a one time use only. You make the purchase with that number and the number is not good for any more purchases.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Keep Active X turned off. If it is engaged you leave yourself wide open to hostile codes, coding that can be embedded in a seemingly innocent Web page.

Keep active scripting/java scripting turned off, too. Some sites require java to function. Turn it on for sites you trust. Otherwise, turn it off!!!!!

By doing the above I have kept a lot of crud out of the computer. Others moan about browser home page hijackings....... I chortle in glee as my browser remains untouched. The bad guy`s code is refuffed when there is no Active X or scripting to welcome the hostile coding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information