Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDaJackal

Pictures will always be subjective.

No one pretends otherwise either. I can usually tell when someone has used a different angle to get the best looking shot. So what? We all want our work to look it`s best and usually if a detail doesn`t come out as well as expected, the poster almost always mentions that. Some of us don`t always get a choice or permission to start moving cars all over the place to get the best exposure possible. I`d take all mine on grass and with a neutral background if I could.

No one is forced to click on picture threads. Just like the menu in a restaurant, you may not like everything on the menu so you don`t order those items. You don`t tell the manager of the restaurant he/she needs to remove those items you don`t care for.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that pictures, regardless of their quality, are better than no pictures.

I do think there are two issues here. The first is post or in-camera processing. It`d probably be better for everyone if pictures weren`t post (or in camera)-processed to add more brightness/contrast, however as someone who is running a business I can understand why it`s done. Taking pictures of certain colors can be difficult, especially if you`re trying to capture full-sun shots like many of us are. I definitely don`t think erasers should be used, but that`s something that requires some knowledge and forsight, and you can usually tell when it`s been done.

In terms of angles and light I think that for the most part there are factors that come into play that prohibit "perfect before/after shots", especially for mobile detailers. I almost never have the option *or time* to stage a car, the sun will move, or go away, or come out, sometimes one angle won`t effectively capture a particular defect. I don`t (and I bet most guys don`t) have a tri-pod, and if I did I wouldn`t bring it with me. I can`t always get the exact same angle or lighting. I`ve started trying very hard to be consistent with before/afters, and in doing so I`ve begun to realize how hard that is.

In the end I think the best you can do is try to keep your pictures representative of what you`re seeing in person. I would imagine most people on Autopia do that, and when they don`t it`s fairly obvious, so just use your best judgement.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    What is pointless? Who is getting hurt by white cement? Newbs are being fooled into thinking they can make a car shiny? Guess what--THEY CAN. I will never understand why one member`s pictures are so life-altering (or threatening) to some people. Get a grip. Doged, I generally find your posts to be insightful and seemed helpful to those who are professional detailers; I`m not sure why you chose this topic as your "last stand" :think:

Enhanced photo’s really don’t hurt anyone until one posts “name brand†product usage with it. It is more then obvious someone is selling something when every time they post a photo it contains “brand name†product. Wouldn’t it be more then OK to ask Autopia to BAND “name product†usage in a photo post? I think that would more then upset a few people. LOL...... WHITE CEMENT would be no longer!!! If the excuse is, Product has a lot to with the process BS then let it the conversations be in PM’s. Mike, thanks for the compliment!!!
    Bad Boy’s score with all the chicks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doged
    Enhanced photo’s really don’t hurt anyone until one posts “name brand” product usage with it. It is more then obvious someone is selling something when every time they post a photo it contains “brand name” product.

Try posting pictures and not mentioning the products used and see how many of the comments ask "what did you use?".

According to your logic, everyone who posts cars and mentions Zaino must be selling Zaino, those using Werkstatt must be selling Werkstatt and on and on.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    With out the Click and Brag what would I have to compare ? It took some time for me to be able to get the results that I have seen on the C&B. It was something that I aimed for. To aspire to.

I have not figured out how to doctor up my pictures but I do know that I have learned how to get a shine on my truck. I am with Scottwax. Keep the C&B and make sure that you post process and product when you do. I will sort out the altered pictures as they arrive.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    I look at the C&B all the time, and I don`t really recall much of a feeling like I was reading an ad. I have seen a few chopped pics, but I just let them slide off. It`s sad to see someone get so upset over something so small... Oh well to each thier own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doged
    Enhanced photo’s really don’t hurt anyone until one posts “name brand†product usage with it. It is more then obvious someone is selling something when every time they post a photo it contains “brand name†product.

You`re kidding, right? I have been a member here for about two years. The person I think you are complaining about has used just about every brand of detailing product available in that period, so what is he selling?

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy looking at cars especially flawless ones, don`t like it , don`t click on it it`s; that simple.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    I can say this with 100% sincerity; people on Autopia will buy new products regardless of who is using them or how good their pictures look. If there`s one thing I`ve learned in my time here it`s that this place is bad for your pocketbook.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click & Brag is a tremendous recruiting tool for this hobby and for the Autopia forum. Seeing Paul`s silver Mazda Protege in the extreme detail forum is what started me into detailing. I have only been a member since November and I already know who will jump in recommending Zaino, or Werkstatt, FK1, Duragloss, etc. I think most of the thinking members of this forum use a combination of Click & Brag and the detailing product forum when deciding on new products to buy.

I personally would not spend much time on the Autopia forum if the Click & Brag was removed. Since there are no cash prizes for Click and Brag I think the only injury from a "doctored" picture would be to the self esteem of the poster.

Sludge

Post Thanks / Like
    Really, who the hell would doctor pictures for C&B, anyway? If anyone`s been on this forum for a decent amount of time, chances are they have a pretty good grasp on detailing in general, and whatever they do will look good. C&B is for sharing your work, compliments are just a side effect...if someone doctors photos, they`ll have to do it for every single picture they post, and that eventually becomes very time consuming. I can`t see the benefit outweighing the cost of time.

I could put a coat of wax on my car faster than it`d take me to alter a digital photo to make it look better, and I`m sure that stands for most of the guys on here as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay guys. I think this thread has gone on long enough. C&B won`t be going anywhere since it`s one of the most popular forums we have. This is apparent by clicking on "Forums" and looking at how many people are viewing it at any given time.

Since nothing good can come out of this thread, and the original topic starter hasn`t replied even once since it was started, I`ve chosen to close this thread. Time to move on, and get back to detailing!

:closed:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information