Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing all the awesome detail pics from everyone is making me wanna upgrade my digital camera. I have done tons of searching and reading from this site, and review sites specifically for cameras and have narrowed it down to these two cameras. Keep in mind about 60-70% of the usage will be detailing pics and then 30% family events and what not. I have included links to both cameras. Im not a camera guy, so I dont know what to look for in quality of pics along with what adjustable features to look for. I mainly want one that is excellent in auto mode but I will be willing to adjust manually for better picture taking. Let me know what you all think between these two.

CANON POWERSHOT SD630

NIKON COOLPIX S6

Both of these cameras are relatively new to the market so there arent too many actual reviews to find.

Keep in mind about the Nikon, is that more then likely I wont be utilizing the WiFi feature, so leave that out when weighing the choice.

Things I like about both of them:

3" inch LCD display.

6.0 MP

Uses SD Memory cards

Built in rechargeable batteries

Slim and pocketable designs

Good brand names

etc. etc.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Canon Powershot SD630...I`ve never known someone happy with their coolpix camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I know a lot of members here have the Canon Brand. I also Nikon is a good brand as well. The more and more Im reading reviews and what not the more Im leaning towards the Canon.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with the Canon...I have the S2 IS and I absolutely love it - It can make anyone look like a pro, and the features are never ending. I dont know much about the model you asked about, but Im sure it will not let you down!! Let us know what you decide :getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all, just to let you know I bit the bullet and got the Canon SD630!!! I have to go to work now but I played around with it for 10 minutes, VERY NICE camera. Of course I havent even gone into the features and taking pics but very soon!!! Hopefully I will detail a car soon so I can take some good pics with it!
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer Canon quality, hands down.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had Sony, HP, and now a Canon and the Canon wins hands down and by a long shot. The picture quality is great and the settings are easy to use and plentiful. And the best part is that they don`t suck down batteries like others do.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I dont like about this particular camera is the rechargeable battery has to be taken out of the camera and put into the charger itself. Its not like my other camera where I can put it into the docking station to charge it. oh well, something minor I guess. The plus side would be that you could buy another battery and have it charged up for when the camera battery is low. Then just swap them, but I dont feel like dropping another 40-50 bucks for another battery.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the big reasons I bought a Canon S2 IS was the fact that it takes AAs, not a battery pack. I took over 400 pictures, some with flash on, before I voluntarily recharged the 4 NiMH AAs. (I was going on a long trip in the kayak and wanted to be certain I`d have plenty of battery power.)

My brother has the same camera, and he took 1100+ pictures on his original NiMH batteries.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    One of the big reasons I bought a Canon S2 IS was the fact that it takes AAs, not a battery pack. I took over 400 pictures, some with flash on, before I voluntarily recharged the 4 NiMH AAs. (I was going on a long trip in the kayak and wanted to be certain I`d have plenty of battery power.)

My brother has the same camera, and he took 1100+ pictures on his original NiMH batteries.
    If he wanted to use double A`s a cheaper alternative would be a Canon A series. My A520 was very cheap - 160 shipped and I like it alot

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I was also considering that one. But the A520 only has 4X optical zoom IIRC, and I decided that for wildlife photography, that just wasn`t enough. The 12X optical / 4X digital zoom of the S2 IS is fantastic. I made the right choice for my particular case.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Thread Information