Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all

I`ve recently moved to a city which has very hard water (yay calgary). I`ve lived in Ottawa and Vancouver and it`s not something i`ve ever had to worry about.

I`ve managed to get rid of all of the lime deposits on the faucets by soaking them in a vinegar/hot water solution :buffing: , but I`m having a lot of difficulty removing the hard water stains and soap scum from the shower walls (the previous tennants weren`t big on cleaning :down )

My my vinegar/water solution won`t work because it can`t soak on the stains. My impression from the commercials is that the CLR-type stuff is just as runny. Does the phosphoric acid in CLR work any faster than acetic acid in disolving this crud? I think what I need is some kind of gel that will stay put for a while.

Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I use some sort of thing for my toilet on stuff like that. It has bleach in it and is a gel. Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently picked up some stuff from Home Depot that is actually a powder and you mix with a lil bit of water to make a paste. You then spread a lil bit of paste (half dollar size) on a sponge (Bug scrubber sponder used for cars or I picked up a grout sponge that was soft on 1 side and the other had white scrubbin part) I tested the white scrubbing part first to make sure it wouldn`t scratch the glass. I applied the paste, scrubbed a bit and voila! Clean as a whistle! I used to use GRIOTS glass polish with a bug scrubbing pad but this actually works faster!

The powder came in a small yellow container maybe 4 inches high, 3 inches wide, and 1 inch deep. Has a blue plastic top I believe. Worked great!

I also bought some 303 SHOWER/BATH sealant from autogeek which goes on after as a "wax". Seemed okay but I though it was a little difficult to work with. Next time I think I`ll go back to throwing some Zaino on there unless the 303 hold up better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good, I`m not crazy when I use automotive chemicals on the shower stall.

:relieved:
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh hell no! My room is a disaster because I haven`t figured out how to use car products on anything in it. ANything I can use car products on is pretty clean....except my beater : ( but not for long! I still wanna find a better sealer for the shower doors!

LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom likes to use Scrub Free Bathroom Cleaner. That is for pretty mild soap scum/hard water marks. I don`t think it really matters which brand though, just go into the cleaner section of your local grocery store and buy a container of bathroom/shower cleaner.

One thing that our family does to cut down on using cleaners no more then neccesary, is using a plastic squeegee after every shower (or atleast the last person to have a shower uses it).

You can purchase some smaller squeegee`s designed for shower use at pretty much any major home retail store.

CLR works great on horizontal surfaces. Probably do well on vertical tiles as well if you don`t mind wiping a little.

Thread Information