Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of building a new machine so that I can let the PII350 rest. Here are the components I am looking at:

Abit KN8 Socket 939 Motherboard

AMD 64 3700+ Processor

Kingston DDR 400 Value RAM (2 G

Seagate 250 or 300 GB SATA II HD

Lite-On DVD Burner with LightScribe

Lite-On Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Sound Card is currently undecided (Trying to find something for pro grade output)

ATI Radeon 256 MB PCI-X Video Card

Thermaltake CPU Cooler w/ 80mm fan

Antec 550 W Power Supply (As shown above)

I already have an ATX case lying around that I am using for this build. I checked the specs prior to this and it can handle what I am going to throw in there.

Stage I: Mobo installation

I got my mobo yesterday (ordered Tuesday from Newegg). Last night, I just secured the motherboard to the case. The only challenge I faced was putting the screws in since I have fairly large hands. However, I managed to get everything secured.

Next: Power Supply and Optical Drives

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice computer you`re going to have there...is the PII350 your everyday use machine? I thought I was behind using my original Athlon series 750mhz. I use my PC a lot, but don`t play games on it. So this 6yr. old build is still chuggin along fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are definitely going with Seagate, make sure you get the new series drives (7200.9). The older ones (7200.8) had spindle issues.

I bought a Hitachi 80GB SATAII drive and have been very happy with it. I had a couple Seagates in my lifetime die on me, along with Maxtor and WD. The only brand I havent tried that I want to is Samsung, I hear their SpinPoints are *very* nice drives.

Good build though! Maybe you want to overclock it? If so, you`ll probably need better RAM. Im running on an Athlon64 3000+ (normally runs at 1800 MHz) overclocked to ~2.6GHz. All other machines seem slow, even my P4 2.8GHz at work.

Re a pro-grade soundcard: I know the HTPC guys preferred MAudio cards for that reason. The only issue Ive heard with them is that they use more CPU than most, but that was in comparison to "gaming" cards (like the Audigy). Creative also has a new card (I forget the name) that might be good for pro use.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theeloved1
    Nice computer you`re going to have there...is the PII350 your everyday use machine? I thought I was behind using my original Athlon series 750mhz. I use my PC a lot, but don`t play games on it. So this 6yr. old build is still chuggin along fine for me.

The PII 350 is my everyday box. Currently, it`s been used just for general stuff. Now, I want something faster because I want to be able to handle stuff like Photoshop, Illustrator, video editing, and DJ software.

I don`t really plan to do the gaming thing on this one as it will become my everyday machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Though it`s not needed, if you plan on doing a lot of multi-tasking, you might consider a dual-core processor.
    2004 Titanium Pearl Mitsubishi Galant ES

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by natebood
    Though it`s not needed, if you plan on doing a lot of multi-tasking, you might consider a dual-core processor.

Yeah, have you looked into dual-core cpu`s? The AMD 64 X2`s?

If I bought a pc today, that is what I would buy... but of course that is just me.

Everything else looks good though . If you are serious about editing, you might want to consider a RAID setup for optimum speed.

Love AMD CPU`s . Right now I am waiting for the new AMD AM2`s to arrive, that will phase out 939 pin later this year. Also the Direct-X 10 video cards, but you don`t game and upgrading doesn`t seem like it happens all too often :p, so I am sure you are off to a good start.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys think of this card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102652

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d personally go for a dual core processor as well. That card that you posted should be fine for what you`d use the computer for. Anything crazier will only help in high demand/resolution games.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    I am kicking around the idea of one of the X2s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just buy an Intel Mac already and have the best of both worlds!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave: That will come down the line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to change the processor from a single core AMD 64 3700+ to a dual core AMD 64 X2 4200+. I am also considering upping the RAM to 3 GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103547

Post Thanks / Like
    3GB RAM?

I think you might lose some of the advantages of dual channel at that point (assuming you need dual sticks, you`ll always end up with an even amount of RAM). I havent seen 1.5GB sticks.

Bite the bullet and go to 4GB even 3GB sounds like a lot, Im on 1GB and dont have any problems with editing video. 2GB would help, 3 sounds like a lot.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    My mobo does not require dual channel RAM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember the importance of adequate case cooling too! Heck I`m only running a 2.66GHz P-4 and I have a total of 5 fans (three running constant).
    2002 Mustang GT

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information