Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any useful tools or tips for managing online passwords? I`m finding the requirements for various sites like financial site, credit card account management, etc, are getting tougher and there`s less overlap of password requirements. So I have to have different and complex (thus not easy to remember) passwords for all these places.

I end up forgetting them usually and am always filling out the "forgetten password" stuff.

Anyone use any decent software? Would using Firefox`s built in manager be a bad idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know about any specific software (I wouldn`t trust it though since you never know what spyware could be passing on info) but what I do is put a hint for myself that only I would know as part of the name in my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing wrong with using firefoxes built in password manager. Personally I use Roboform, its a pretty good password management program which is compatible with most web browsers including firefox. They have a trial version available for download.

You can also get firefox extensions like LoginManager and Magic Password Generator to help manage passwords.

Len.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Roboform. http://www.roboform.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I like and use the free version of Password Agent. It stores up to 25 passwords and will generate PW`s also. Easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could just make a word doucument to hold all your passwords. Of course, you would want to password protect this document and possibly make it a hidden document too.

Post Thanks / Like
    My "password management" consists of a sheet of paper with websites, logins, and passwords all written down, kept in an "undisclosed location". Simplicity at its simplest

Post Thanks / Like
    Works well for me http://www.passkeeper.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I use keypass, and its free! Just search keypass over Google. Encrypts the data, doesn`t keep it the cut/copy/paste cache for more than 10 seconds, and doesn`t connect to the internet
    2006 Atomic Blue Honda Civic w/Navi

Post Thanks / Like
    I use CryptoCard... it allows password management information to be maintained and synchronized on both a PC and a PocketPC. I don`t always use the same passwords on my different PC`s (work, laptop, home, wife`s, etc.), so this keeps them synchronized on a single source (PPC) and any other PC`s to which I sync the PPC.

And it is free...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave N
    My "password management" consists of a sheet of paper with websites, logins, and passwords all written down, kept in an "undisclosed location". Simplicity at its simplest

Amen. This is my strategy. Plus, a piece of paper can`t crash like a program or the comp itself.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb
    I use keypass, and its free! Just search keypass over Google. Encrypts the data, doesn`t keep it the cut/copy/paste cache for more than 10 seconds, and doesn`t connect to the internet

Another vote for KeePass (http://keepass.sourceforge.net/). It the cat`s meow. It has several extra nifty features not found in a log of the other free managers. My favorite being the ability to keep the password database on several PC`s and carry the "key" around on my thumbdrive. I have to supply the master password AND have my thumbdrive attached to the machine to be able to get into the password database. That level of security is optional.

Thread Information