Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a Boston Acoustics Receptor table top radio. Excellent construction, quality, aesthetics and functionality. Very, very good sound (a little too much bass). It received very favorable reviews from what I`ve read. A solid table top radio.

I needed a new radio with a clock on my night table. The Tivoli clock model and Bose were the other ones I was looking at until I came to my senses and settled on the fact they weren`t in my budget.

However, to my dismay, despite excellent FM reception, the AM reception on the Boston Acoustics blows big time - total static on some major stations!

So, I need an AM antenna. I have the ability to unplug the built in one and plug in an aftermarket antenna. I don`t want to spend a lot of money.

I`ve been looking around and it seems like Terk is the main company out there.

I was looking at the Terk AM Advantage. I can get it for $33 shipped. But then I thought I might want something for the FM as well. However, there is one bit of criteria - the port to plug in the FM antenna is recessed behind the radio in a tight spot. The plug at the end of the antenna needs to be small enough to slip in (not some AC adapter like plug found on some of the Terks).

My question is, can anyone recommend a good AM antenna or an AM/FM antenna that won`t skimp on AM ability? Anyone use the Terk AM Advantage? I need something to really boost AM.

Thank you very much for any help.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    What really boosts reception is a good quality radio but if you live in an area that has poor reception you can string a wire outside some times that can boost the reception. I used to live a stucco house and I had to string a wire outside to get reception.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, just lengthening the AM antenna can help immensly. I have just taken the regular AM antenna, taken a piece of thing wire and wrapped it around the regular antenna, and just left the extra length hanging. Worked great. Might want to try that with some extra wire lying around before you spring and buy an antenna. Anyway, hope this helps in some form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I wound up purchasing an AM/FM powered antenna locally at Radio Shack for $22.00. It`s nice looking with a neat little blue light. Anyway, it works like a champ. Perfect, crisp sound on both AM and FM. My ESPN radio on the AM is still slightly crackily and National Public Radio on the FM still hiccups once in a while but nothing serious. All other stations are perfect. Major improvement.

Oh, Super, it *is* a quality radio. I wouldn`t buy it if it wasn`t. I have a postage stamp for a bedroom with a computer, TV, phone, fax, printer, modem, and router, all within like 5 feet of each other. It was most likely interference.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a boise 321 great system almost broke the windows out of the living room while watching a action movie

Thread Information